Feeling depressed

Options
Just started back after a long break. Too scared to weigh in.

Replies

• D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Eat on track today and weigh in the morning. It isn't important to weigh yourself to start but is important to start to monitor your eating. One day of success on the food front and you'll feel better. Really.
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Then don't :-) It's really not about how much you weigh. Its about how you feel and how your clothes fit. Don't worry about the number on the scale.... Welcome back!! You can do it!
  • bunnye20
    bunnye20 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. Get yourself back on track then go for it when you are comfortable!
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Just started back after a long break. Too scared to weigh in.

I say you need to weigh yourself. Don't let the number on the scale define your feelings but at the same time you need to understand certain things like your BMI, how far you are to your goal weight, and how much you can lose per week. These are important things.

Once you do weigh yourself, own it. You just need to take it one day at a time, and see this as a beautiful journey for you to get back to a weight that you are happy with. It will boost your self confidence, and fitness levels instantly, literal weight off your back.

You will always have people that will support you but you need to start walking yourself, for yourself, people will cheer for you either way.
  • elizaberrie
    elizaberrie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't do what? Go back to the gym? I can't put off the inevitable anymore. As for tango, taking a hiatus until I get myself back in my right mind and body.
  • starborn3682
    starborn3682 Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've just returned to MyFitness Pal too, Elizaberrie, if not just for the meal planning for now. It's frightening and difficult to move forward for some reason. Lots of emotional upheaval in 2016 (and somewhat ongoing) and I've really fallen off the wagon with emotional eating and poor food choices. Injury (rotator cuff issues and left leg response to what is believed to be a buldging disc) has led to inactivity. So many darn excuses for my own failings! I'm so slow walking right now (still trying to gain strength in my left leg/foot) and feel clumsy. I am smarter than to blame others who may criticize my seeming lack of motivation. I know it's ME who has stopped believing in myself. (I have never been so self-depreciating than lately. We (each) have to start with our own POSITIVE self-talk and discard every bit of the negative... then, no matter where you are (in life), just "begin". Decide to do "one" positive thing per day, if ever so small and then build day by day upon more positive goals. I know the answers. I just need to listen to my inner (positive) voice! Good luck to you, and to me, and to all. Good advice on this page with people who understand. My pity party is over. I have made one positive change today at least, and that was to return to MyFitness Pal.
  • belinda_b
    belinda_b Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I say do it. It may hurt, but that will motivate you.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Don't do what? Go back to the gym? I can't put off the inevitable anymore. As for tango, taking a hiatus until I get myself back in my right mind and body.

The responses to this are in reference to weighing yourself, however, I agree with @subcounter that you need to know where you're currently at in order to formulate a sustainable plan.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh in. Set a different non-scale goal maybe for just this week and then be happy when you accomplish that. Examples: no soda, no desserts, drink more water, up your exercise, eat more veggies, etc. You can do anything for 7 days, and then set a new one the next week. Sometimes we focus too much on that number on the scale. Then maybe weigh yourself in 2 weeks and go from there. You can do it
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I didn't weigh myself when I first came because I felt I already knew that I had gained I could tell that from the way my clothes fit to the way I felt. I felt personally I would be to focused on the number and be to down on myself. What I did do was track everything that went in my mouth food or drink so I could see where I was and where I could make a change. Week 2 I stopped drinking soda and week 3 I felt confident in myself to weigh in. What I did do within week 1 was take my measurements though. Do what works best for you! You can do this!!! :)
  • elizaberrie
    elizaberrie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support. I used to work with dietitians and they all had or had family members with eating disorders and said weighing in can become obsessive. And can lead to further depression when the numbers aren't heading in the right direction.

I am afraid to step on the scales but I'm afraid not too.