Getting started, want to lose 2 lbs per week

Options
Hello all, just joined want to lose 2lbs per week.

Replies

• rhondagoostree
    rhondagoostree Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is my goal as well!!
  • 1234newman
    1234newman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good for both of you. Go for it.

Any consistent loss down to best body weight is good.
  • catmomfat
    catmomfat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I want to loose 2.5 pounds. Then in 6 weeks I'll be looking good enough for shorts
  • catmomfat
    catmomfat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    2.5 pounds a week
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    2 pounds a week is an individual thing............some people (very overweight) can expect 2 pounds a week, but others cannot. Not for healthy weight loss anyway.

Example: let's say a 5'8" sedentary (desk job) 42 year old woman weighs 162 pounds and wants to get to 145 ASAP.

Her TDEE (current maintenance) is 1,770 calories. To lose 2.5 pounds a week she needs a 1250 calorie deficit every single day. 1770 - 1250 = 520.

Does anyone expect healthy weight loss by eating 520 calories?

Before signing up for 2 pounds a week, check your stats here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

1200 (before exercise) is as low as MFP will go (nutritional minimums)
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I'm averaging 2lbs per week but my initial goal was lower, so I could get into the swing of changing my diet and beat my initial expectations.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    2 lbs/week may not be an appropriate goal for the amount of weight you have to lose. What are your stats: height, weight, goal weight, activity level?

I suggest taking some time to read the stickied "Most Helpful Forum Posts" at the top of the Getting Started section including;

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

and

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • ccinep
    ccinep Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well I am down from 160 to 153 in 15 days, I keep my calories at 1200 a day. It isnt hard for me to do that as I change what I am eating. Even if I go to the gym for a hour of raquetball and I put that in on my daily excerise it gives me 450 more calories to eat that day. I DONT eat that many more calories. I still keep it at 1200. I dont so much look at carbs, fats, fiber etc. Although I try and stay in the range it give me. If I am over on my carbs I look at what kind of carbs I am eating. Most of the time it is coming from fruits so I dont worry as I would if it was coming from white sugar or candy. Fruit carbs function different in the body. So I am happy for now. Got a ways to go. But this site keeps me accountable and I LOVE that.
  • chantelgang
    chantelgang Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always have the problem of going over or under.