Is There Anybody Who Has Lost Weight Using The Exercise Calo

Options
Just wondering if having an inaccurate calorie burn will hinder my weight loss
I do not eat back my exercise calories.

Replies

• jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise calories as MFP lists them and eat them back as well...I have lost 23 pounds (well, 225 - the ticker doesn't show decimal points!) so far.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Not eating them back will hinder your fat loss. You may end up losing a large amount of muscle instead, if you don't eat at least most of the calories back. This will lead to plateaus and a slower metabolism. This will be even more prominent for you as you only have 15 lbs to go, which means your body can not sustain a large caloric deficit.
  • camille97
    camille97 Posts: 91
    Options

Not eating them back will hinder your fat loss. You may end up losing a large amount of muscle instead, if you don't eat at least most of the calories back. This will lead to plateaus and a slower metabolism. This will be even more prominent for you as you only have 15 lbs to go, which means your body can not sustain a large caloric deficit.

Okay I have seen your comments like these in other places, and NO it will NOT hinder my weight loss. Many people do not eat back their calories and they lose plenty of weight in perfect health. That is not opinion, it is fact. Thank you.
  • keeley86_123
    Options
    hey - i dont eat mine on the same day! i like to save mine for if i fancy a bottle of wine or a pizza at the weekend xxx
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you're not eating your exercise calories then there's no way for an inaccurate burn estimate to interfere as long as you're eating your daily calories regardless of exercise.

I do eat my exercise calories as given by MFP when I log exercise.
  • erickirb
    Options

Okay I have seen your comments like these in other places, and NO it will NOT hinder my weight loss. Many people do not eat back their calories and they lose plenty of weight in perfect health. That is not opinion, it is fact. Thank you.

It is fine if you have 75+ lbs to lose, otherwise you lose muscle. If your goal is to lose weight it may work for you, if your goal is to lose just fat, it will not work. You may lose 10 lbs, 4 lbs of muscle and 6 lbs of fat, but that would actually increase your BF%, if you are under 40% BF.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Can we PLEASE stop these types of threads???? There's no cut and dry answer to this question. It's all subjective to opinion based on your own personal experience. We don't need a bajillion and one threads asking the same questions with the same damn bickering in them.

/end rant.
  • otgrouch
    otgrouch Posts: 21
    Options
    I eat most of my excercise calories and have lost 16 pounds so far....
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    i eat some of mine some days ill eat them all.... however i DO NOT go by what MFP says as they seem to overestemate big time i go by what the machine at the gym tells me after ive put in my weight and hight x
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Having an incorrect calorie count MAY hinder weight loss. You may be eating too much or too little. The best way it to get a HRM, so you can get an accurate burn. I found that MFP grossly over-estimates the calorie burn, as do the machines at the gym.

Eating calories back is a different story, and is dependent on your body and how much you need to eat. In that regard, listen to your body. If you're hungry, eat. If you aren't, don't.
  • Ninjaninja1
    Ninjaninja1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Why did you ask the question, if you already knew the answer? The point is valid, and you may be starving yourself and loosing valuable muscle if you don't eat back some of the calories. It’s your choice. Good luck.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The bottom line here is your calorie intake is too low. Way too many days under 1200 which is why not eating back about half of those calories will be a problem.

You need to give your body fuel to burn or it will burn things you don't want it to burn.

So up your calories or eat back some of your calories, either way more is what is needed. More Protein, fiber and water!!!!

You can do it!
  • erickirb
    Options
    Having an incorrect calorie count MAY hinder weight loss. You may be eating too much or too little. The best way it to get a HRM, so you can get an accurate burn. I found that MFP grossly over-estimates the calorie burn, as do the machines at the gym.

Eating calories back is a different story, and is dependent on your body and how much you need to eat. In that regard, listen to your body. If you're hungry, eat. If you aren't, don't.

hunger is not the best indication of nutritional requirements. I could drink 3000 cals a day and be very hunger, but already had too many caloires or I can eat nothing but veggies and be full on 900 calories, and not be getting enough fuel.
  • Nishka09
    Nishka09 Posts: 33
    Options
    You can starve yourself, lose weight, look good, and maintain this for a long time. But a day will come when you want to eat like a normal person again, then you'll find out you can't b/c you've messed up your metabolism.
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Why did you ask the question, if you already knew the answer? The point is valid, and you may be starving yourself and loosing valuable muscle if you don't eat back some of the calories. It’s your choice. Good luck.
    I don't get why people ask questions, then do not like the answers given back to them. I also don't know why people do not do a search as there are thousand and thousands of threads that ask the exact same question with the exact same responses!!

MFP calculates everything that you need. Why fight it? Its very simple- calories in, calories out. Eat healthy foods (Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats) and not donuts. Get off the couch and exercise. It is really that simple
  • onebigninja
    Options
    The bottom line here is your calorie intake is too low. Way too many days under 1200 which is why not eating back about half of those calories will be a problem.

You need to give your body fuel to burn or it will burn things you don't want it to burn.

So up your calories or eat back some of your calories, either way more is what is needed. More Protein, fiber and water!!!!

You can do it!

Wow 107lbs!

Don't be a slave to the calorie count and exercise, eat healthy, don't go nuts. And work out.

Better to eat then starve you muscles!

works for me
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Why did you ask the question?
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Can we PLEASE stop these types of threads???? There's no cut and dry answer to this question. It's all subjective to opinion based on your own personal experience. We don't need a bajillion and one threads asking the same questions with the same damn bickering in them.

/end rant.

Amen!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    you need to experiment and see what works for you, and what you feel comfortable with. i normally eat anywhere from .25 to .75 of mine back. Basically, i just eat them back when i feel hungry.