Hitting Protein Goals

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm having a hard time hitting my protein goal....I am a full-time student and working part-time. I am also a member at Orange Theory Fitness where I go 5-6 x per week.

Can anyone recommend any quick and easy protein snacks (dairy free, my stomach is extremely sensitive to dairy products)......

Thanks!

Replies

• rigginguem
    rigginguem Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    -Lower Sodium Beef Jerkey (different meats exist in jerky form as well)
    -Nuts
    -Various Protein bars (many are dairy free)
    - Peanut butter on celery, apples..etc.

Those are some good ones that don't really have to be kept cool.

• Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs
    Tinned fish - tuna, mackeral
    Prawns
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    The above plus try adding chia or flax seeds to food for an added boost
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You could also try adding an extra ounce of protein to each of your meals. Here are some high protein dairy free snacks:
    -Epic Bars
    -Tuna Packets
    -jerky
    -protein shakes
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    gs1941 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I'm having a hard time hitting my protein goal....I am a full-time student and working part-time. I am also a member at Orange Theory Fitness where I go 5-6 x per week.

Can anyone recommend any quick and easy protein snacks (dairy free, my stomach is extremely sensitive to dairy products)......

Thanks!

Whey Isolate Powder does not have (or has very little) lactose in it (it's filtered out), you may want to give that a try. I am lactose intolerant as well and if I don't use isolates bad things happen lol. Standard Whey though, has a lot of lactose in it. There are also soy/plant based protein powders. Really, the powders are the best way to get the most protein for the lowest amount of calories. Generally, depending on brand, it's sometimes even cheaper than meat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your protein goal is 145 grams. That is a lot of protein and it's no wonder you find it hard to hit. Seems unnecessary and it leaves you with very little calories to spend on other nutrients; especially fat looks terribly low. Why is your protein goal so high?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Your protein goal is 145 grams. That is a lot of protein and it's no wonder you find it hard to hit. Seems unnecessary and it leaves you with very little calories to spend on other nutrients; especially fat looks terribly low. Why is your protein goal so high?

That depends on a person's size, and goals. I typically strive for 180g of protein a day and sometimes go way over that. But I'm trying to build muscle and do a lot of body weight training. If the OP is lifting a lot, it may not be too much protein for their goals. However, it does depend on the OP's stats.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Avocado/eggs (have you tried to half an avocado, take out the pit, fill with a raw egg, bake in the oven yum)

Make mini breakfast/lunch/snack muffins. Muffin tray, you can line each with bacon or cold meats. Whisp eggs with herbs and spices, grated cheese if you want (make sure it is dairy free). In each muffin tray put some veg, I like mine with broccoli, maybe some onions. Pour the egg mix over the lot, top with grated cheese if you wish. Put in oven on medium/high heat for 20 mins. Tastes great, freezes well, easy reheat in the micro, can be eaten hot or cold. 10mins prep time, 20 mins cooking for 12 beauties.

Breadfree sandwiches: cold meats rolled in salad leaves, nice with pickles on the sides or a salsa

Tuna (can be eaten straight out of the tin)

Tuna in tomato sauce, served over spiralized veg (zucchini/cabbage/carrots etc I prefer zucchini) The tomato sauce totally changes the flavor of the tuna.

Eggplant, slice horizontally, scoop out the inside, squeeze some lemon over the insides, fill with lightly browned minced meat or chicken with herbs and spices, together with lightly browned eggplant. Ovenbake at medium/high heat for 20mins

Smoked salmon with scrambled eggs or poached eggs on top of smoked haddock (can put some creamed spinach or wilted spinach under the fish, tastes great)
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Protein powder
  • Proverbial10lbs
    Proverbial10lbs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Are deli meats ok to eat for protein?
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    @gs1941

Snack 1
    Lunch meat, yogurt, cheese and a Apple - get enough meat to meet your goal

Snack 2
    Protein Powder at least 1 scoop, almonds and hand full
    of blueberries or a similar fruit.

You have to plan it out or it's not going to happen.