paleo diet

Options
soo i thinking im going to try the paleo diet has anyone done it? if so what do you think about it? how did it go?

Replies

• healthychelsea
    Options
    it looks pretty good actually, much like "primal" if you've ever heard of that. I cannot do diets like this because I don't eat meat! & it is also much too difficult to stay away from grains for me. :( low carb is not my thing. But, good luck to you!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I did it as a Challenge. Most people I know have started it that way, either 30, 45, or 60 days, then decided whether or not they wanted to stay on longer. I did 52 days. It's great for cleaning out the system but, not realistic long term for me. I don't cook much so I appreciate having greek yogurt for protein. I also enjoy a roasted purple potato every now and then.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Ah, the first lesson, grasshopper, is that it is a lifestyle change, not a diet. ;-) Thou shalt incur the wrath of the Paleo gods if you call it a diet.

Just kidding.
    There are a lot of great, supportive paleo people on here. Do a search for posts with the topic "paleo" and you'll find several support groups. You might look up Grokette for starters. There are also some good threads with paleo recipes.

I am not strictly paleo, I guess I'm a convert-in-progress. My doctor did a metabolism test on me, and based on that, he recommended that I strictly limit my carbs and eat a whole lot of protein instead. Which looks a lot like the Paleo diet. And so far, using this, I've lost 30 lb in 4 months. So here's hoping it will work for you too!

Best of luck to you!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I liked it because it was basically just a guideline and not an overly strict diet saying how many of what macros you have to take in. It wasn't sustainable for me, but I ended up with a lot of paleo/primal friends who do quite excellent!
  • thapinkifunk
    thapinkifunk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the feedback everyone im going to try it for 30 days but it is also hard for me because im not a big meat eater but lets see how it goes do you all mind if i add you as friends?
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the feedback everyone im going to try it for 30 days but it is also hard for me because im not a big meat eater but lets see how it goes do you all mind if i add you as friends?

By all means.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Please do!
    Hmmm... non-meat Paleo snacky stuff...
    Someone mentioned Greek yogurt, that stuff is awesome. Fage brand especially.
    Almonds, mixed nuts, trail mix.
    You can bake pieces of kale for 10 minutes in the oven, and they end up crispy, very potato-chip-like, and are a great snack on their own or dipped in hummus.
    I keep hard-boiled eggs on hand, they're good when you just want a quick snack. I buy both white and brown eggs and hard-boil the brown ones so I'll always know which are which in my fridge. Which may be a little anal-rententive, but then again, I have not yet bitten into a raw egg. :-)
  • teagansdad
    teagansdad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    soo i thinking im going to try the paleo diet has anyone done it? if so what do you think about it? how did it go?

I'm on Day 3 of the Paleo diet, and I'm feeling pretty good so far. I'll let you know how it's going after 30 days. :-) I was expecting more cravings than I've experienced so far, but that may come in a few days...

I dropped 3.5 pounds on the scale after the first day, but I'm certain that's just water weight.