too much protein

Options
dshiemke
dshiemke Posts: 24 Member
I keep my food diary every day and I noticed that I always have too much protein. Is there anything bad or harmful about going over MFP's protein amounts? I'm usually close on calories, but over on protein, and a little under on carbs and fat.

Replies

• abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    As long as you aren't ridiculously over, it's not bad. I've heard the rule is no more than one gram of protein per every pound of your goal weight. So a goal weight of 150 = 150 g protein max. (That could be wrong, just something that stuck with me!)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    No problem at all if you're using MFPs default numbers (15% protein) I have my protein set to 35% of my daily calories to get to my chosen goal of 1 gram per pound of my goal weight.

ETA
    to change your ratios you go to my home... goals... change goals... custom... set your percentages and save changes.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary but generally over it good here. Levels on protein are low and there are numerous threads on it.

Unless you have a protein issue or otherwise advised by your doctor then over is better.

I have mine custom set at 100 and try for 80 -100 grams a day.

Good Luck on your journey!
  • iloveruger
    Options
    i've heard you go a little less then your body weight for women. men you can have quite a bit. if your 130 lbs id go with 100 g protein. that what i do at least.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Protein is very vary hard to go over. I don't agree with MFP's protein amount...I normally go over on it. If you are doing weights or anything streneous of that nature (like me, I do trapeze and aerial silks), you should be going over. Ideally, you should be eating 1 gram protein for each pound of body weight. or something like that. :p
  • dshiemke
    dshiemke Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great. Thanks. I think I'll do some research and reset my goal percents for carbs, fat, and protein. Today MFP said I should have 59 grams of protein and I had 110. It sounds like that is ok.
  • ivy2009
    ivy2009 Posts: 75
    Options
    I think it's fine. In fact, when folks get near the end and sometimes plateau and have a hard time losing the last 5 to 10 pounds, the recommendation is to increase protein intake a little and decrease carbs a little. Just be sure it's mostly lean protein, like chicken breast, fish, almonds etc.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    The only downside of too much protein is constipation. Just make sure you are drinking enough water and eating enough fiber.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you have one kidney…, & don’t exercise. I’m a kidney donor & my proteins are high too, but my exercising evens it out, per the nutritional experts.
  • texanative
    Options
    I just spoke with a personal trainer yesterday about my diet and the rule of 1 gram per pound of body weight sounds high, although I'm sure it all depends on where you are in your fitness level and where you are trying to get to. I'm working on trying to lose 15% of my body fat and of course the amounts they calculated for me were based on my height/weight/gender. But as a ratio, on weight training days it was a little over 1/2 gram per pound of weight, on rest days it was about 1/3 gram per pound of weight and on cardio days it was right in between the two. All of that to say that even the rest days were higher than what MFP suggested for protein. I have used the "plateau buster" of really amping your protein and reducing carbs to almost nill, but you shouldn't do that for more than a couple days because your body still does need carbs. But confusing it and making it work harder for a couples days seems to be a good thing to confuse it out of that weight loss plateau.
  • israel3919
    Options
    I think a high intake of protein will help you loose weight, the body will require more energy to process the protein, meaning burning more calories.

Just what I heard... and it work for me....