Question Regarding Recent Weight Loss + Weight Gain

Options
So, in March of 2016, I began a calorie-restrictive nutrition plan and exercise routine. I do not use the word "diet" because I do not intend on returning back to the old habits which made me fat in the first place. Anyway, over the course of the year, my "weight" dropped from 306 to 220.

In the beginning of this year, I changed my exercise routine from almost strictly cardiovascular exercise (running) to a combination of running and weight training. With no major changes in my nutrition plan (short of having one protein shake on the days that I am in the gym), I am alarmed to see that not only has my weight loss stopped, but I have actually gained MORE THAN 20 pounds since I have been in the gym.

Now, I expected something to this effect, so I put the scale to the side and went looking for any of the other non-scale victories like looser clothes. Unfortunately, it seems as though I am simply gaining the weight back. I am in unfamiliar territory with this issue, and I would really appreciate if anyone has any idea why my weight seems to be returning and how I can get my weight-loss back on track. Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the reduction in cardio has led to burning fewer calories and thus eating the same has put you in a surplus.

If you put on 20 Lbs in the last couple of months, you're eating in a surplus...or you need to get to a doctor to see if something else is amiss.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    So, in March of 2016, I began a calorie-restrictive nutrition plan and exercise routine. I do not use the word "diet" because I do not intend on returning back to the old habits which made me fat in the first place. Anyway, over the course of the year, my "weight" dropped from 306 to 220.

In the beginning of this year, I changed my exercise routine from almost strictly cardiovascular exercise (running) to a combination of running and weight training. With no major changes in my nutrition plan (short of having one protein shake on the days that I am in the gym), I am alarmed to see that not only has my weight loss stopped, but I have actually gained MORE THAN 20 pounds since I have been in the gym.

Now, I expected something to this effect, so I put the scale to the side and went looking for any of the other non-scale victories like looser clothes. Unfortunately, it seems as though I am simply gaining the weight back. I am in unfamiliar territory with this issue, and I would really appreciate if anyone has any idea why my weight seems to be returning and how I can get my weight-loss back on track. Thanks!

Not likely that the 20 pounds is muscle. The best test is a hydrostatic body fat test to determine your LBM Lean Body Mass vs fat mass.

Your strategy was perfect, the only thing missing is the amount of calories per day on average over time. For fat loss it always comes down to the calorie deficit over time. Fat gain means you were eating more than your maintenance. All you need is to eat slightly under your maintenance over time to lose fat. It is that simple and I don't see that anywhere in your strategy.

• HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I would look into finding a place where you can get a body composition analysis done. If your clothes still fit, you could be building muscle and losing fat.

• AvisQuinn86
    AvisQuinn86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Californiagirl2012,

When I started my daily calorie intake was 2200, since my dietitian determined my BMR was roughly 2300. As my weight dropped, I lowered my calorie intake. Currently, it sits at 1800.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    From your post, I gather you decreased cardio - increased weight training - and kept your calories in constant? Weight training does not necessarily burn a significant # of calories, so less cardio likely reduced your calories out. If you kept intake the same, your deficit would have decreased.

A new weight training routine likely has resulted in water weight for muscle repair. If the routine started 6-7 weeks ago, I imagine that would have gone away by now. Probably a 1-3 week window.

A 20 pound gain in 6-7 weeks is rather significant - a surplus of more than 1000 calories per day. Carefully analyze to see if anything else has changed that may be affecting things. New scale, or scale needs batteries? Are you estimating portions? Have you increased the weight training more recently than 6-7 weeks? Blood work to rule out medical issues?
  • AvisQuinn86
    Options
    Thank you to everyone to took the time to comment on this. From what I gathered through the comments, I should make another appointment with my dietitian to check out my updated body mass index. That's the first thing I will do. Second, I will probably re-arrange my exercise routine to make cardiovascular exercise slightly more important.

I'm 100% certain that the weight gain is not caused by nutrition. Before I started losing weight, I was tested for food allergies to determine what spiked my blood sugar and caused me to bloat. But perhaps I do need to adjust my caloric intake again since I am (considerably) smaller despite what's transpired in recent weeks.
  • daniellemcfarland2
    Options

Muscle weighs more than fat. Maybe the gain is muscle mass.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Muscle weighs more than fat. Maybe the gain is muscle mass.

20 lbs of muscle in less than 3mths. Odds of that are zero unfortunately.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Cardio tends to burn more calories than weight training because you can keep at it for longer and with fewer gaps during the time you are doing it. Most likely, you are burning fewer calories now and because you didn't decrease your intake you are gaining weight.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

How carefully are you tracking your food intake?

My first experience in losing weight was about 10 years ago. I started with running. Once my distance became what I considered respectable I added some weight training. This was moderately successful despite paying no attention to what I ate. I suspect the sheer amount of running I was doing masked a habit of mild overeating, as the only change I made to my diet likely to decrease my calorie intake was to eliminate Coke. When I began lifting in earnest and running a bit less I began putting on weight -- so I was certainly eating a surplus -- but fortunately it was mostly muscle as determined by my waistline, which did not change even as I put on about 15 lbs. from my lowest.

This time around I've dropped more weight with less running because I'm tracking my intake much more closely.

So now you believe you're eating 1800 calories, but are you really? Without a food scale there's a good chance you're eating more than you think.
  • AvisQuinn86
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »

How carefully are you tracking your food intake?

My first experience in losing weight was about 10 years ago. I started with running. Once my distance became what I considered respectable I added some weight training. This was moderately successful despite paying no attention to what I ate. I suspect the sheer amount of running I was doing masked a habit of mild overeating, as the only change I made to my diet likely to decrease my calorie intake was to eliminate Coke. When I began lifting in earnest and running a bit less I began putting on weight -- so I was certainly eating a surplus -- but fortunately it was mostly muscle as determined by my waistline, which did not change even as I put on about 15 lbs. from my lowest.

This time around I've dropped more weight with less running because I'm tracking my intake much more closely.

So now you believe you're eating 1800 calories, but are you really? Without a food scale there's a good chance you're eating more than you think.

I have two food scales. I am about 90% certain my caloric intake is right.