Protein

Options
I have noticed no matter what I do my protein is always over at the end of the day. Is this something I should worry about?? Any suggestions on ho to keep it down??
Thx

Replies

• niffer77
    Options
    I have noticed no matter what I do my protein is always over at the end of the day. Is this something I should worry about?? Any suggestions on ho to keep it down??
    Thx
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    You are fine, the protein on here is set low. My personal goal for Protein is .5 to .75 grams for every pound I weigh.
  • Hanna1983
    Hanna1983 Posts: 251
    Options
    Hi Anna,

hope you are well?

I recently read on here that you should eat 30% protein per day. I went into my goals and changed it to 30% but it automatically reduced my fat allowance by a lot, basically reduced it by half.

DO you know why that is the case?

Usually I am allowed 47g fat and 15g sat fat. My protein at the moment is 53g (which is 15%).
    if I change my Protein to 30% (which is 105g) my fat gets reduced to 15% (which is 23g).

I dont know if I should up my protein and therefore eat less fat or if I should stick to 47g fat and leave the protein at 15% (53g). Confused :ohwell:

please help if you can.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Anna - are all the other settings in the normal range? Like calcium, carbs, sugar etc. ?
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    Hi Anna,

hope you are well?

I recently read on here that you should eat 30% protein per day. I went into my goals and changed it to 30% but it automatically reduced my fat allowance by a lot, basically reduced it by half.

DO you know why that is the case?

Usually I am allowed 47g fat and 15g sat fat. My protein at the moment is 53g (which is 15%).
    if I change my Protein to 30% (which is 105g) my fat gets reduced to 15% (which is 23g).

I dont know if I should up my protein and therefore eat less fat or if I should stick to 47g fat and leave the protein at 15% (53g). Confused :ohwell:

please help if you can.

Yeah I tried that too and got the same results. The reason (I think) is that it figures your calories as coming from Carb, Fats, and Protiens. So if your carbs are 55 percent and your, protiens are set at 30 you only get 15 percent to use towards fats. I use the guided goal and pretty much use the numbers that they give as a guideline, try to stay within my calories, and make healthy choices. I know my protien will be over everyday, but I try to makesure my fat is under. I know that if I'm eating healthy foods I should be fine.

Hope this helps.
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    Anna - are all the other settings in the normal range? Like calcium, carbs, sugar etc. ?

I'm pretty sure these are just set up using basic nutritional guide lines, and that most of the setting are fine. I really don't look at the other number much, 'cause if you do you can drive yourself crazy worrying. If you eat a ton of fruit your sugar will be high, and I'm sure almost everybody falls short on calcium. The only reason I know about the protein is because it's a subject that has been covered on here a lot and I know I always go over on mine and was told that if I was eating about half my weight in protien grams I would be fine. I also have read that a Man should eat between .75 to 1 gram of protein for every kg they weigh and for Women it should be .5 to .75 grams of Protein.

We are all different and all have different lifestyles, needs and cravings. So I think its kind of silly to say that every woman weighing 165 pounds that is 5 5 should have 42 grams of protein every single day (or what ever the numbers are). I do think that everybody could benifit from taking a multivitamin while trying to shed pounds, because most of use don't eat a well rounded enough diet to get all of what we need, and I also recommend taking extra calcium plus extra, extra Vitamin D in the winter. We make vitamin D with the help of the sun and unless you can get 15 of unprotected sun exposure a day, in the winter your Vitamin D levels will be low. The vitamin D will help keep you from getting "winter blues" and helps your immune system.
  • niffer77
    Options
    Ok...so i guess I'll just stick to the calories and the fats and try to stay within those limits. Most of my protein comes from tuna fish, cottage cheese, chicken, turkey, yogurt and things like that so I'm assuming those are all good things to be eating and I should be fine!!
    Just seemed weird.
    Thanks everyone
  • SarainKS
    Options
    I have the same problem but I think if I'm within a good range on all of the other things, the protein can't hurt me.
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Going over on protein will not hurt you. It will help keep your lean muscle.

In addition it is virtually impossible for protein to convert into fat.
  • niffer77
    Options
    Good to know lots of you also have this issue with protein. It's also good to hear that protein is almost impossible to turn to fat!!
  • plaisted
    Options
    Your body uses some of calories from the food it eats to breakdown the food.
    Fat has the most usable calories about 97%
    Carbs are closer to 90%
    And Protein is around 80%

So simply protein has the least amount of usable calories, If you work out protein will be delivered to your muscles to help them recover. Excess protein is turned into glycogen(carbs) and if you have excesss carbs they are stored as fat!!!

Protein is the least likely to make you fat b/c it has the smallest affect on blood sugar and the reasons listed above, but it is not "nearly" impossible to turn to fat. Eat extra protein, but don't thinkk they are negative calories.

Chris Aceto's book "Everything You Need To Know about Fat Loss" is a great book on this
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The American Dietetics Assoc. and the American College of Sports Medicine recommend the following ranges:

45%-65% carbohydrates
    20-30% fats
    10-35% protein

Plaisted, gluconeogenesis doesn't really occur at these levels of carbohydrate ingestion and protein ingestion. Excess carbohydrates are stored as glycogen in a caloric deficit. So she doesn't have to worry about eating some extra protein in this situation. :smile: