I wake up at 3am, 4am because too hungry

Options
For few weeks I cant sleep after toilet break at night. It later on make me so hungry. I will end up eating chips and fast food. I will feel very sleepy later on. It makes my routine disturbed during the day because I will wake up late. Please advice.

I google the reason behind it and found that I had food and sleeping disorder. Anyone had experience this before? Does it concern on what im eating during the day or just pure mental breakdown?

FYI, I had gone through a lot of pressure around me for these two years. My escape is to exercise during the day so I release my endorphine hormones.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for a while and then slowly reduce your cals to a deficit
  • tigerblood6
    tigerblood6 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes thats what I usually did. For example my calorie intake is 1100 per day. If i had a binge at night , another 500 will gone during the day. I will hit the gym and workout for another 500-700 to earn extra new calories limit.

For today, I wake up at 2am and just ate a snack plate of KFC which cost me 1000calories. I left with 100calories and my only hope is to do cardio at the gym after work to burn more so I can eat the extra calories. So I feel like fasting during the day. My question is it healthy to do so? What should I do to avoid midnight cringe?

Thanks .
  • mrsd1969
    mrsd1969 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think you have adjusted your bodies time clock and it has come to expect good at that time. You need to reset you clock by having a small light snack just before you go to bed, if you wake up you will have to resist for a few night until you break the cycle.
    Then each night eat your snack ten minutes earlier until it is a reasonable time to eat.
  • Taliafinch
    Taliafinch Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Why is your intake so low? If you added 250 cals you could have some scrambled egg on toast or a bowl of cereal before bed to prevent waking hungry and eating far more than that. Add a half hour walk if you want to negate the calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    emyjuita6 wrote: »
    Yes thats what I usually did. For example my calorie intake is 1100 per day. If i had a binge at night , another 500 will gone during the day. I will hit the gym and workout for another 500-700 to earn extra new calories limit.

For today, I wake up at 2am and just ate a snack plate of KFC which cost me 1000calories. I left with 100calories and my only hope is to do cardio at the gym after work to burn more so I can eat the extra calories. So I feel like fasting during the day. My question is it healthy to do so? What should I do to avoid midnight cringe?

Thanks .

1100 isn't maintenance...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    emyjuita6 wrote: »

Thanks .

You're almost certainly not eating enough. This is causing you to crave food at night and then you dock the calories from the next day, meaning you're starving yourself again. And you're exercising on top of that.

Just pick a reasonable calorie goal, make sure you're eating enough to fuel your activity, and get out of this vicious cycle you've put yourself in.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Look at the app (you can't see this using a laptop) and click the Nutrients button at the bottom. Change the view to Week (assuming it defaults to Day) and then scroll down a little to check your Net Average*. If it's below 1200, you are eating too little and risk serious health problems if you continue for an extended period. *I am assuming you are logging all your exercise and everything you eat.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Up the healthy fats and fiber - keeps you full longer.
    My go to is 1/4 slices avocado on whole grain crackers. Other options are a handful of nuts or a few slices of lunch meat