Update: I did it, I got Lasik!

Options
cashidy
cashidy Posts: 152 Member
I asked for advice a while back about getting lasik. I did it! I actually ended up getting PRK (similar eye surgery, less risk but more painful recovery) and it has been a wild ride, but I am very excited to be gaining vision back.

If anyone has questions I would love to share my experience with PRK!

Thank you all for encouraging me to go for it.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I had PRK done and my dumb *kitten* didn't bother to go to the pharmacy that night to get pain killers. Lol, my DW was so pissed off that she had to do it at 2am.
    I got under corrected because I read and do a lot at the computer and didn't want to wear reading glasses (when you get over 40 it's almost an assurrance), so I still have to wear glasses to drive or say see something really far away clearly, but having been able to shed my glasses at the gym has been great. No more fogging.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • _BrewingAZ_
    _BrewingAZ_ Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    ISN'T IT EFFING AMAZING??? I had it done almost 10 years ago and love it.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Ughhh...I need to go have my eyes checked but I think I fall into the, "you're just getting old and are screwed" category, and I don't want to hear it.
  • yourfriendlaurie
    yourfriendlaurie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I got LASIK about 8 months ago and was so nervous but it's been amazing. Quick recovery (took a few days to feel 100% normal and there was one day of terrifying semi-blindness immediately after surgery) but within days I had 20/15 eyesight (better than "perfect") after decades of glasses, contacts, astigmatism. I was worried about halos at night because night driving was already practically impossible for me and some people say that halo-ing (glare around lights in the dark) is worse after LASIK, but I have personally had the opposite experience. My night vision is a million times better now than it was with glasses/contacts. I do use eye drops most days to stave off dry eye which is a common side effect but it's not bothersome and is worth it for vision! I found the surgery itself surprisingly terrifying actually, but it was over in like a minute.
  • JHamilton6
    JHamilton6 Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Ughhh...I need to go have my eyes checked but I think I fall into the, "you're just getting old and are screwed" category, and I don't want to hear it.

Same boat. Can lasik fix old fart eyes? I was 20/20 when I was younger. First the reading went. Then the distance went.

By the way... Timshel - thou mayest. Great book! One of my favotites.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    JHamilton6 wrote: »

Same boat. Can lasik fix old fart eyes? I was 20/20 when I was younger. First the reading went. Then the distance went.

Agree about the eyes and the quote/book. :)
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    What's the difference between Lasik and PRK and why did you choose the latter? How much did it cost?
  • jamcdonel
    jamcdonel Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yay! You won't regret it. It really has served me well for 20+years.
  • jamcdonel
    jamcdonel Posts: 533 Member
    Options

We can fix distance. The near part is just "old fart eyes". I'm right there with you. 51 in 5 weeks.

The key in both of these is stability. If your eyes have changed at all in the last 2-3 years, then I don't recommend it.
  • rainbowroy
    rainbowroy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am having LASIK done on Friday. I am super nervous and super excited at the same time!
  • JHamilton6
    JHamilton6 Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    jamcdonel wrote: »

We can fix distance. The near part is just "old fart eyes". I'm right there with you. 51 in 5 weeks.

The key in both of these is stability. If your eyes have changed at all in the last 2-3 years, then I don't recommend it.

Well, I've expected my prescription to change each of the last 3-4 years but my doctor says they're about the same. However, glasses from 6-8 years ago don't do much anymore. I'm due soon. I think I'll talk it over with him.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have had glasses for distance since the 7th grade and tri-focals for near vision for years now. If I get the distance corrected I will still need reading glasses so I kind of think why bother now.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    What's the difference between Lasik and PRK and why did you choose the latter? How much did it cost?

Lasik requires they cut the eye, forming a flap that they replace after the procedure. If the flap moves, it can cause issues but the healing time is quicker.
    With PRK they scrape the cornea off and place a contact bandage. It's supposed to be more painful and takes longer to heal. You also have the risk of developing a haze from scar tissue, which isn't a concern with PRK. BUT it's a more forgiving procedure if your eyes are not within the strict norm required for Lasik.

I had PRK back in October - Healing was a breeze for me, no pain, mild dryness... was good to drive after 2 weeks. Then I poked myself in the eye and got a corneal abrasion at the end of 2 weeks... I suspect that's what most people feel after PRK, it wasn't fun. But it did heal after having another bandage contact, and I can see now! I love it :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    My vision is too bad for LASIK :(
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Want to but to much of a coward. That and if any issues arose I would be PISSED! I can't stand eye drops in my eyes. I freak out. I can't even get water in my eyes.
  • cashidy
    Options
    happimess1 wrote: »
    hey there! i am glad to see your post Op! How are you holding up? I meant to message you about your mom but didnt want to weird you out

Thank you! I am doing much better. My mom is part of the reason I finally went for it, as she had been encouraging me to do it for a long while.

• cashidy
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »

Someone answered really well up there, but basically PRK does not leave a flap and has less risk but a longer healing process. I like sports and did not want to risk the flap coming dislodged in lasik and losing vision, so I chose PRK.

PRK is also recommended by the military and other organizations.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options

I got my done when I turned 45 so old farts are fine. My mom had it done in her 80's and doesn't need glasses.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png