How do I properly label the exercises I do?

Options
I have been going to the gym now for a week and I use the elliptical and treadmill which shows me the approximate calories I burn. Yet when I type in let's say the abdominal machine, it has me make a new exercise for myself and doesn't help me calculate the calories I burn. Am I posting the exercise's or the machines wrong?

I could use all the help I can get here I'm not very computer savy!

Thank you!
Cindy

Replies

• jcpolk1856
    jcpolk1856 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think that's one of MFP's biggest weaknesses. It'll do a rough calorie burn count for all cardio but when it comes to strength workouts it doesn't have an input for calories burned. Your best bet is to guesstimate the strength workouts
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Google it and then bring the numbers back to MFP.
  • lillyloki28
    lillyloki28 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you jc and Tony. I will google it ........ it's strange not having it on MFP but maybe we can help one another here.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have been going to the gym now for a week and I use the elliptical and treadmill which shows me the approximate calories I burn. Yet when I type in let's say the abdominal machine, it has me make a new exercise for myself and doesn't help me calculate the calories I burn. Am I posting the exercise's or the machines wrong?

Thank you!
    Cindy

There is an entry for strength/weight training. After timing active sets for several gym sessions (and pausing during rests and moving between equipment), I've found that [# of sets - these are usually 12 reps for me] x [0.75 min] roughly estimates total active time during weight training (for me). I use that number of minutes and the MFP weight training entry. Note that the number will be fairly small - it isn't cardio.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

Thank you!
    Cindy

There is an entry for strength/weight training. After timing active sets for several gym sessions (and pausing during rests and moving between equipment), I've found that [# of sets - these are usually 12 reps for me] x [0.75 min] roughly estimates total active time during weight training (for me). I use that number of minutes and the MFP weight training entry. Note that the number will be fairly small - it isn't cardio.

FYI-
    2cqbzixwlfi5.jpg

(Specific strength training exercises will be under strength rather than cardio with 0 calories)

If you are doing them 'vigorously' such that it actually becomes cardio, then there is an entry for that under cardio:

ucwfiw9w9xmu.jpg
  • lillyloki28
    lillyloki28 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Thank you!
    Cindy

FYI-
    2cqbzixwlfi5.jpg

(Specific strength training exercises will be under strength rather than cardio with 0 calories)

If you are doing them 'vigorously' such that it actually becomes cardio, then there is an entry for that under cardio:

ucwfiw9w9xmu.jpg

Thank you now I know how to label it a bit better that makes sense!