Just need to get this off my chest

Options
I originally started losing weight so I could join the Air Force currently lost around 130 pounds Around 215 right now so I start talking to recruiter to get the ball rolling but since I was previously diagnosed with diabetes type two I am permanently disqualified I am no longer on a medication or have diabetes and it's been this way since I've been around 290 but I am still in unable to join. It's not that I want to get big again but I don't really have any reason to work out since I found out I have been really lazy and unmotivated

Replies

• megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    How frustrating. My sister was turned down by the Navy because of her sight. She was disappointed but annoyed that she'd done loads of training and all sorts before the eye thing. If they'd just said so at the start she could've used her energy elsewhere. Don't let this knock throw you totally off course. Time to find a new focus. You've lost so much and it's great that you're no longer on the Diabetes type two meds - that's amazing.
  • mbanks123
    mbanks123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You've done incredibly well! Don't let the air force waste all that hard work you've put in :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Time for a new goal. What about becoming a police officer, state patrol officer, etc?

Let yourself wallow for a few days and then pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and find other alternatives.

This. We need dedicated people like you as civil servants too. I'm sorry that your hard work to get to the AF didn't pan out, but you can still use that fit body for something else. How about fire fighter? That's on my dream list (although as a 49 year old teacher, it might not pan out-I'm also terrified of burning buildings...) You can do anything, and your weight loss just opened up so many doors for you! Good luck!
  • shakenbake57
    shakenbake57 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Ditto what others have said. I can only imagine your disappointment. Yet, seems like once you've grieved, you can find another platform from which to serve.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Just take a look at some of the health problems that diabetics have and that should motivate you to stay within a normal weight range. I always thought I am not fat and I can always lose weight if I want too. I then decided I have had enough when my son poked my belly and asked "when is it due". I lost over fifty pounds, dropped bad cholesterol 50 points, eat healthy foods, stopped snoring, cured insomnia and became a runner. I am in better shape than when I was in high school. It is worth it so keep it going. I would also push to be classified as a non diabetic if that is possible. Even if it doesn't change the AF it could make a difference when applying for work or insurance.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    If you're no longer diabetic, ask for a waiver. I was diagnosed with a blood disorder when I was a baby that disqualified me, but my recruiter fought to get me tested and I no longer showed it. MEPS agreed to the waiver and I was allowed to enlist. Definitely worth a shot if it's something you truly want to do! (Although the Air Force is very picky from what I've heard, so try looking into the other branches to see if you have better luck - Army is the one that was willing to work with me)

Well done on your progress so far, and good luck!
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i would say CONGRATS! anyway on not being diabetic anymore, and that can motivate you to remain healthier and keep going, because some ppl never even make it that far :)
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If you're no longer diabetic, ask for a waiver. I was diagnosed with a blood disorder when I was a baby that disqualified me, but my recruiter fought to get me tested and I no longer showed it. MEPS agreed to the waiver and I was allowed to enlist. Definitely worth a shot if it's something you truly want to do!

This. Everything is waiver-able. Go to a different recruiter if this one won't work with you.

• luisrrosa2
    luisrrosa2 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I used to be a recruiter. The air Force doesn't have many waivers to offer. Go see your Army Recruiter with medical docs in hand stating you don't have it anymore. They may be able to help. Army approves many waivers for medical.
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Come over to the army. Lol
  • freedom2016mfp
    freedom2016mfp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I mentioned your post to my husband (a Veteran) and his advise is to seek out a new recruitment officer with a physician's letter in hand that states that you have a clean bill of health. Try, try again!
    Don't give up, the world needs good people like you with determination, motivation and a true sense of self.
    Best of luck .
  • Kevindagul
    Kevindagul Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Stay up bro!

You should still be really proud of yourself man
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of talking to a recruiter of another branch? What are you wanting to do? Sometimes in life you work really hard, and something gets in the way. It's not a reason to give up. Think of what you have accomplished. Think about your health. Life doesn't end when you hit a speed bump.