Recumbent Bike

Options
I have a recumbent bike that I ride everyday for a least 30 mins. The last few days I have been doing 10 miles which is 37 mins at a speed between 16 and 17. The calorie counter tells me that I am burning 215 calories does that sound right for 10 miles? A friends of mine told me she thinks it is off. At 30 mins it says I have burned 168 calories. If anyone else has a recumbent bike will you tell me what it is reading for your calories please.
Thank you for your help!
Jennifer

Replies

• jenniferjames
    Options
    I have a recumbent bike that I ride everyday for a least 30 mins. The last few days I have been doing 10 miles which is 37 mins at a speed between 16 and 17. The calorie counter tells me that I am burning 215 calories does that sound right for 10 miles? A friends of mine told me she thinks it is off. At 30 mins it says I have burned 168 calories. If anyone else has a recumbent bike will you tell me what it is reading for your calories please.
    Thank you for your help!
    Jennifer
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    I also ride my bike every morning but only for 20 or so minutes. I burn 169 calories. To be sure of what you are burning you should get a HRM, it will giv eyou the most accurate count. For now, I would go with the smaller amount. Then at least you are going over your calories unintentionally.
  • SteffCooley
    Options
    I don't think I have ever paid attention to the calories burned feature on my recumbent. What I DID DO WRONG, however - was when I came to log it on MFP, I found the "Bicycling, stationary, very vigorous 16-19mph" and entered in 45 minutes - and it was telling me that I was burning like 800 calories. I was sure that couldn't be right! (too good to be true...... :smile: ) Anyhow, I eventually bought a heart rate monitor and it has warmed up outside since, so I haven't had to use the recumbent - have been exercising outside instead. So anyhow - if you log it under MFP's exercise database, don't go with the 800 calories! lol