Replies

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »
    guessjr94 wrote: »
    I am 5' 8'' and I have lost a little over 25 pounds over the course of the last eight weeks. I go to the gym about 5 times a week and do about 5 hours of cardio. I burn usually between 700-1200 calories per gym session. In the past week I decided to go running on my 2 rest days. In the past week alone I dropped 5.6 pounds. Is this too fast? I eat around 1200 calories a day, never less. I am loving the loss but I don't want to end up with loose or saggy skin. I know big losses are expected in the beginning but I thought they started to tamper off after a while. Thoughts?

That's pretty good going, works out about 3.5lbs a week which is a little over the recommended. As long as your eating right there's nothing wrong with it.

Gross 1200 cals isn't 'right'

How do you come to that conclusion? We've already established she's losing over the recommended weekly rate but 1200 is far from starvation. It completely depends on what her calories consist of.

Someone who is eating 1,200 and burning 700 in a gym session (assuming those numbers are accurate) is only giving her body 500 net (800 if she eats back 300 calories). This isn't enough.

I still don't see this as wrong.. 800 calories a day is a huge deficit but it's not starving.

If she is able to eat enough good food and exercise and doesn't suffer from any side effects I don't see the problem.

So you think there are no health implications to someone only leaving 800 calories for all of the bodies essential processes?

Anecdote, someone on my friends list did this. She was grossing 1200, running miles every day, much like OP with her 5 hours of cardio. She thought her doctor had signed her off on this as she was at a critical to her health weight initially. She didn't realise she needed to up those calories at some point and compensate for the running. She ended up having seizures and being admitted to hospital.

So no, what you eat is not the only thing to consider. Calories matter. getting enough of them matter. Grossing 1200 calories a day and doing 5 hours of cardio is dangerous and eating disorder territory.

Where did you get 5 hours a day from? I read she was only doing an hour a day... 5 hours a day is obviously a serious concern.
  • guessjr94
    guessjr94 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes. 1 hour of cardio 5 times a week. I would die trying to do 5 hours each time
    I actually kind of like it. I just do an hour every time I go to the gym and then work on the rest of my body.

You do an hour of cardio? I thought you said in the OP that you were doing 5 hours of cardio?

Oh wait...you mean 5 hours each week. That's a good thing. And frankly, I know plenty of people that spend hours in the gym every night and I see nothing wrong with that at all. It's your life - do what you like. :)

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yes. 1 hour of cardio 5 times a week. I would die trying to do 5 hours each time
    I actually kind of like it. I just do an hour every time I go to the gym and then work on the rest of my body.

You do an hour of cardio? I thought you said in the OP that you were doing 5 hours of cardio?

Oh wait...you mean 5 hours each week. That's a good thing. And frankly, I know plenty of people that spend hours in the gym every night and I see nothing wrong with that at all. It's your life - do what you like. :)

Ah ha, my bad. Even so, her calories are still too low.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 8'' and I have lost a little over 25 pounds over the course of the last eight weeks. I go to the gym about 5 times a week and do about 5 hours of cardio. I burn usually between 700-1200 calories per gym session. In the past week I decided to go running on my 2 rest days. In the past week alone I dropped 5.6 pounds. Is this too fast? I eat around 1200 calories a day, never less. I am loving the loss but I don't want to end up with loose or saggy skin. I know big losses are expected in the beginning but I thought they started to tamper off after a while. Thoughts?

That's pretty good going, works out about 3.5lbs a week which is a little over the recommended. As long as your eating right there's nothing wrong with it.

How do you come to that conclusion? We've already established she's losing over the recommended weekly rate but 1200 is far from starvation. It completely depends on what her calories consist of.

Someone who is eating 1,200 and burning 700 in a gym session (assuming those numbers are accurate) is only giving her body 500 net (800 if she eats back 300 calories). This isn't enough.

I still don't see this as wrong.. 800 calories a day is a huge deficit but it's not starving.

If she is able to eat enough good food and exercise and doesn't suffer from any side effects I don't see the problem.

If her deficit is big enough to regularly lose 5 pounds a week, then she's cutting into her lean muscle tissue. In addition to being counterproductive to her goals (that is, winding up with an unnecessarily high body fat percentage), it puts her health at risk.

There is no food good enough to make up for not eating enough.

She's not losing 5lbs a week... I understand what you're saying but the maths are very important..
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If her deficit is big enough to regularly lose 5 pounds a week, then she's cutting into her lean muscle tissue. In addition to being counterproductive to her goals (that is, winding up with an unnecessarily high body fat percentage), it puts her health at risk.

She's not losing 5lbs a week... I understand what you're saying but the maths are very important..

She's averaging 3 pounds a week over the past eight weeks, but in the past week she lost 5.6 pounds. If she continues a deficit large enough to lose at this rate, she'll be losing muscle unnecessarily.

• guessjr94
    Options
    I never run so I think my body just freaked out

quote="robs_ready;38921861"]

She's not losing 5lbs a week... I understand what you're saying but the maths are very important.. [/quote]

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

When I posted that OP hadn't said she was eating any exercise cals.

Whichever way you look at it, losing 5lbs in a week isn't healthy.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

I think you should eat back more of your exercise calories. It's likely you're losing muscle mass due to too high of a deficit. If you're making these changes for health, it's important to do it in a healthy way. Since you have lost so much, it's probably also time to re-evaluate your loss goal to something more sustainable. The closer you get to goal, the less per week you should be losing.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary, you are eating down to half your goal calories on a regular basis.
    Just eat up to your goal calories, and see what happens.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I do not know how to peek at someone's diary. Could you type a day or two of what you are eating for the day. Thank you.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1200 calories a day, you are not logging them.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    There are days your diary shows you eating 800 calories (total) and burning 1000 - THAT is not healthy or sustainable.
  • guessjr94
    Options
    Ok I'll try. I feel like I'm complaining now because of fast weight loss and then I'll end up stuck at a plateau and end up complaining about that.
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I peeked at your diary, you are eating down to half your goal calories on a regular basis.
    Just eat up to your goal calories, and see what happens.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, you need to eat more. Eat the calories mfp gives you, and eat back at least some of your exercise calories. You should not be losing more than 2 lbs per week. You don't have to cut back the exercise, just make sure you fuel it!
  • ktrulez
    ktrulez Posts: 267 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    your weight loss and determination are goals.

5 hours a day cardio and eating less than 1200 calories as other suggested will not be sustainable. however once you get to your GW, you can eat at maintenance, reduce your workouts and still keep your GW.

• jjohnstonlni
    jjohnstonlni Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's fast loss but if you are feeling good which it sounds like you are then it should be fine. Sometimes you'll go at gazelle intensity, sometimes turtle. As long as you listen to your body through the different paces go for it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    So, if I've read everything correctly:
    • @guessjr94 weighs 15 pounds more than the top end of healthy BMI. This means she is very unlikely to have more than 50 pounds of weight to lose. It sounds like her goal is to lose another 15 pounds.
    • She has lost 25 pounds in 8 weeks - so an average of just over 3 pounds/week.
    • She eats 1200 calories/day
    • She exercises a healthy (but not unreasonable) amount.
    No, if you look at her diary, she is eating quite a bit less than that.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    So, if I've read everything correctly:
    • @guessjr94 weighs 15 pounds more than the top end of healthy BMI. This means she is very unlikely to have more than 50 pounds of weight to lose. It sounds like her goal is to lose another 15 pounds.
    • She has lost 25 pounds in 8 weeks - so an average of just over 3 pounds/week.
    • She eats 1200 calories/day
    • She exercises a healthy (but not unreasonable) amount.
    No, if you look at her diary, she is eating quite a bit less than that.

Then my math may be a bit off and she'll have to work through the calculations with the real numbers (which is easy; if actually eating 1000, subtract 200; if actually eating 800, subtract 400). This assumes that her logging is accurate and complete. The math works wonderfully - as long as the logging is accurate and complete.