New Tattoos and Exercise

Options
Hi all!

I'm wondering how to exercise while healing a tattoo. I'm getting my second and third in 2 weeks in the same sitting, one on the foot and one on the sternum--neither are huge, but they're in sensitive places. When I got my first on my thigh in 2015, I wasn't working out so I never dealt with it healing and exercise.

I don't really want to take a month off of exercise as they heal, even if I stick to my calorie intake--I like playing Pokemon on the treadmill and the stationary bike too much. Anyone have experience with this?

Should I wait until they're scabbing? Cover them with soft bandages when I'm working out? Just suck it up and do something like yoga in my room until they're healed?

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Replies

• kyliecunderwood
    kyliecunderwood Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it'd be best to ask your artist-- they'll be able to tell best what's good for the tattoo based on placement, design, etc. I was able to exercise with mine just fine, but that was just on my arm, and every tattoo is different!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Your gym is full of germs. Keep them out of your open wounds.

Once you have scabs, don't do anything that will dislodge them.

And yeah - ask your tattooer.

• thunderthighsandlightning
    Options
    Thanks guys! :)
  • TilKingdomCome
    TilKingdomCome Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have one on my inner upper arm, so it hurt like hell every way I moved unless I did a chicken wing with my arm. I run so I ended up wrapping it with a soft bandage and heaps of ointment which the tattooist recommended and it was fine. Arms swung as usual.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,065 Member
    Options
    Personally I would give the gym a miss whilst they are healing, not sure of the size of the one on your feet but the last thing you want to be doing is putting a fresh tattoo into your sweaty trainers. I have the whole top of both feet tattooed and it's not comfortable wearing full shoes for the first few days, and you don't really want to be agitating the healing and ruining your artwork/risking an infection.
  • leoniemcdee
    leoniemcdee Posts: 21 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    When I got my foot done I kept things pretty simple for at least a week. It was 10 years ago and back then they wanted you to only wear open shoes (so sandals/ballet flats - it was January!!) after to aid the healing process, I'm sure that's different now but ask your tattoist. I can only imagine that sweaty trainers will not help though. Whatever advice the tattooist gives, take it. I'm getting a huge back piece next month to cover up a tattoo I did NOT look after while it was healing.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    When I get mine done I might wait a day, but I don't really take time off from my workouts. Keep it covered and wash off when you're done. I've never had an issue.
  • Tweakfish
    Tweakfish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think that it's the skin stretching that could interfere with healing.. On your sternum and top of your foot I doubt ther'ed be much stretching. Maybe take off a couple days? curious what your artist will say.