Low sugar ketchup or other lower calorie ketchup options?

Options
I'm a huge ketchup lover. When I use it though, I usually put it on kind of heavily. The 20 calories per table spoon can really add up. I have found myself avoiding it or only using it sparingly, but I happened to notice that they had low sugar ketchup at Kroger and it was 5 calories per table spoon. I thought about picking it up next time.

Has anybody tried this and found that it is similar in taste to regular ketchup? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to give it a try or if I should just limit my regular ketchup use.

I'm open to other ketchup alternatives as well! My main thing is counting calories, but I keep an eye on carbs and sugar!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Dude I JUST bought and ate this right as I'm reading this. The 20 cals adds up for me too. I just put a crap ton of it on a cheeseburger salad. I liked it. It tastes sweet so I should look at the ingredients. I'm going to make the switch though. I could use so much more and only for 30 calories. Just try it...what can it hurt?
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Dude I JUST bought and ate this right as I'm reading this. The 20 cals adds up for me too. I just put a crap ton of it on a cheeseburger salad. I liked it. It tastes sweet so I should look at the ingredients. I'm going to make the switch though. I could use so much more and only for 30 calories. Just try it...what can it hurt?

Awesome! I'm definitely going to try it! I am such a ketchup fan!
    Also.... cheeseburger salad! I have been meaning to make something like that! Sounds amazing!!!

Thank you :)
  • bbell1985
    Options

Also.... cheeseburger salad! I have been meaning to make something like that! Sounds amazing!!!

Yeah. Lately I have missed drenching things in ketchup lol.

I took 5oz of 90% lean ground beef, 4 wedges of laughing cow cheese, mushrooms, tomato, onions, jalapenos, like a giant head of romaine lettuce (all to myself) and 7 servings of the dang ketchup. It was good. So big it took me 30 min to eat and I didn't miss the bread.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I love my sugar free ketchup mixed with mayo ...I love it for my burgers and cauliflower tots
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    Options

I took 5oz of 90% lean ground beef, 4 wedges of laughing cow cheese, mushrooms, tomato, onions, jalapenos, like a giant head of romaine lettuce (all to myself) and 7 servings of the dang ketchup. It was good. So big it took me 30 min to eat and I didn't miss the bread.

Oh my goodness!!!! I am DEFINITELY trying that! Thank you!!!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    In Australia we have a sugar free tomato sauce (ketchup) and BBQ sauce, sweetened with Stevia/natvia. I think they are comparable to the normal sugar versions... I wouldn't waste the cals/carbs on the normal version!
  • MissZimmy
    MissZimmy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I recommend making it. Try looking up recipes for tomato sauce or tomato relish. Once you get used to it being less sweet you start to appreciate the flavours more than the store bought stuff (which starts to taste too sweet and flavourless by comparison). Means you get a LOT less sodium too.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I use heinz reduced sugar ketchup which is 5 calories and I think it actually tastes better than regular ketchup. I love it.
  • mumfy23
    mumfy23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like the simply heinz
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I'm going to make this with vegetarian beef crumbles. I might go to the store today to get what I need for it. I think hubs and son would like the meat version of it since all they like veggie-wise is salad anyway. Daughter and I will eat the vegetarian version. Thanks for the dinner idea!

To the OP, I've been using that Heinz sugar free ketchup for a while. Love the stuff.
  • bbell1985
    Options

I'm going to make this with vegetarian beef crumbles. I might go to the store today to get what I need for it. I think hubs and son would like the meat version of it since all they like veggie-wise is salad anyway. Daughter and I will eat the vegetarian version. Thanks for the dinner idea!

To the OP, I've been using that Heinz sugar free ketchup for a while. Love the stuff.

No prob. I like it better than doing like a "lettuce bun" because it's SOOO much more volume.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I was curious about the reduced sugar ketchup too! Does it taste much different than regular ketchup for those of you that tried it?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    Options
    It definitely tastes a little sweeter to me! I have only tried it on a few things so I'm curious how it will feel if I use it on other things. Definitely worth a shot to try!
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I was curious about the reduced sugar ketchup too! Does it taste much different than regular ketchup for those of you that tried it?

It tastes a little sweeter. I don't know. The taste doesn't bother me. I was just so happy to use like 8 servings for so little calories lol. Because the taste is a little sweet, a couple times I've cut it with a little hot sauce.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    There are also small ketchup companies that make a less sweet ketchup. If the reduced sugar one is sweeter, that wouldn't work for me. I don't like the taste.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    There are also small ketchup companies that make a less sweet ketchup. If the reduced sugar one is sweeter, that wouldn't work for me. I don't like the taste.

So what small company makes a reduced sugar lower calorie ketchup?
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

It tastes a little sweeter. I don't know. The taste doesn't bother me. I was just so happy to use like 8 servings for so little calories lol. Because the taste is a little sweet, a couple times I've cut it with a little hot sauce.

I just looked at the ingredients and saw sucralose in it. Can you taste the artificial sweetener like does it taste fake like the walden farms products?! Im wondering if i add a tiny pinch of salt if it would taste better. I might buy it next time I'm at the store.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I love the reduced sugar...only one i have had in 5 plus years now!
  • Parkercomom
    Parkercomom Posts: 67 Member
    Options

We use the reduced sugar ketchup. I can't tell a difference at all. My kids love it and never noticed the difference either.