Benefits to weighing self everyday?

Options
I am planning to weigh myself everyday and logging it in a weight loss tracker. What are the benefits of doing this? Is it normal to gain a pound one day and lose it the next? I just wanna prepare myself so I don't get depressed over gaining weight overnight

Replies

• Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I just posted this in another thread:

Love the Happy Scale app. I weigh in almost every day and it's great for mapping trends. When I look at 30 days, it's definitely heading downward. My weight fluctuates for all kinds of reasons, but seeing that graph trend down tells me I'm on the right path. Weighing every day doesn't work for some people, but for me it's perfect. You can't worry if you go up one day and down the next. Micromanaging will drive most people crazy. But maybe mapping your trends will help you see how your overall program is working for you.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yes, quite normal to gain or lose a pound (or more) in one day. The benefits to weighing everyday would be personal. If you like to do it then I suppose it would be a benefit. For some the fluctuations make them crazy.

If you are going to get depressed if you gain overnight it's probably not a good idea. The one benefit it does have is that when you do gain that pound (or two) overnight you know it's not fat, whereas if you weigh less often and happen to gain that pound (or two) the night before your weigh-in you don't have the lower weight from yesterday to comfort you.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I find no benefit at all. Now I'm on maintenance(ish) I tend to measure once a week and weigh once a fortnight, just to make sure nothing is creeping up.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, as long as you're prepared for normal water weight fluctuations which can be several pounds up and down especially when starting new exercise routines or drastically changing your diet, and just see the average month by month, sure. If you think you may not be able to cope with the completely normal fluctuations and rationalise them over a month long time-line or get a bit obsessive maybe stick to once a week.

Weight loss is rarely a ruler-straight line downwards as we are complicated bags of meat, fluid and semi digested matter.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Benefits will be noticing that fluctuations are normal- 1, 2, or even 3 pounds difference from day to day is not unusual depending on if you are watching your sodium intake, how regular your digestion is, and your workout schedule. If you use with a graph it might be good so you can see the overal trend is that you are losing, despite daily fluctuations.

The downside could be that you however might get too hung up on your number day to day- that's what happened to me when I wheighed daily. I started getting scale obsessed and would even do dumb stuff like sleep in longer and avoid drinking water at night or in the morning until I had weighed just so the number would be lower. It also would really affect my mood for the rest of the day if I hadn't lost or if I'd gained. So I had to switch to weekly weigh ins on Saturdays... and sometimes do a mid week check on Wednesday just because it's hard to go a whole week sometimes... weight still fluctuates but at least I'm not thinking about it every single day.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I like the trendline. I can see I'm making progress, even if I am up a pound today from yesterday.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I like to see the trends, so I do weigh everyday. But I also see the plot and whether it is fitting the desired trend immediately after weighing when I enter it. Fluctuations of up to several pounds are normal. You have to ignore the weight loss/gain between single weigh-ins.

eytb5lkdz1t1.jpg

Example:

ufexytphva42.jpg

mzqkabw3fr74.jpg

(For me, it takes a 2 week buffer to smooth out any climbs).
    In the table, you can see just how much your 1 week, 2 week, 4 week difference can vary from day to day, so I do like to see trends. (All weight data above are first thing in the morning after bathroom break).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What are the benefits of doing this?
    One of the benefits is you get to understand that...
    Is it normal to gain a pound one day and lose it the next?
    Is indeed normal for you, expected and understood. So it becomes a non-issue and means you don't....
    get depressed over gaining weight overnight

My normal fluctuations are more like 3lbs a day.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    nmedina10 wrote: »
    What are the benefits of doing this?

The benefits of weighing everyday or even every 6 hours are so that you can see how much your weight fluctuates over time even with a solid weight loss plan in place.

It will be interesting...

... or an utter soul destroyer.

Only you will know which.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day I'm home (I don't use other scales). I weigh in the same conditions (or as close to) as I can manage.

I miss happy scale, ideal if you have iOS, there is libra for android, trendweight.com on a web browser.

It does help, in the graph below you can see I 'put on' 1lb a day for 4 days. now if I'd only weighed in on day 4 I may have thought I'd made no progress in the last month. I've been weighing like this for 9 months and I've spotted the trends alond with what I've eaten. Day 10 was the day after my favourite Chinese meal, but I expeced that.

4w.png
  • mellowncalm
    mellowncalm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i love what MAZDAUK said she measures everyday. i like that better than weighing. weighing gets me depressed everyday too NMEDINA10. as i get closer to my long term goal weight i will weigh everyday but for now. measuring and weight once a week. i am setting my weight goal for only 10 lbs at a time. once i conquer the 10 pounds then i will set another 10 lbs. if you find 10 difficult set your goal for 5 pounds. you will have more goals and be happier. good luck.
    i am setting up for a 40 day (LENT - march 1, 2017) weight loss.
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I can't see any benefits aside from knowing how much your weight can fluctuate in a day. I do once a week myself but do it as much as you want if you like.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I do it daily, because it helps me look at other correlations - how much salt did I take in the day prior; exercise level; how many steps; how was my sleep; is it that time of the month (or leading up to it) - it helps to provide (for me) a more holistic view of what can affect my weight
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and I can go up or down by 2 lbs. Even 2.5 some days looking back. I'm using Trendweight and also putting it into Excel, but I just started Trendweight and may stop with Excel. I find it good to know the trend more than that day, but if I was weighing weekly I may catch a bad day and be more demotivated. I also like seeing how much I have lost month-to-date and what not.

I always weigh first thing in the morning before I eat or drink anything but after going to the bathroom.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    6m.png

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and at first it was scary but It has helped me to stay on track and evaluate my food choices/time of the month/recent workouts. I use the Libra Weight tracker app, it gives much of the same benefits as previous ones mentioned. When I have pizza or sushi, I can easily gain 5lbs overnight... but it usually falls off in a day or 2. It also helps me to start seeing the trends.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone else said and personally, for me, it helps to keep me accountable. If my weigh in is a week away or days away I find I will make excuses for overeating like "oh, well I'm not going to weigh myself until x day and I will cut back by then" and yada yada you can imagine.

I also tend to eat a good bit of takeout and fast food so if I start to see my weight slowly creeping up through the week I know I need to cut back.