205 to 179.6 in 8 weeks

Options
13»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,718 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Eat more. Lose slower. Listen to @SusanMFindlay and everyone who is saying the same thing...

In all this... what is your maintenance plan? How are you planning to maintain your weight without regain or further loss?
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I know watching the pounds melt is a great feeling but please be careful. About 10/11 years ago, I wanted to lose 15lbs so I limited myself to 1100 calories a day (I was using a tracker on Shape.com which didn't recommend minimums) and ran 4 miles every day. I lost the 15lbs in one month and I felt great...until I didn't.

I was at work and suddenly couldn't keep my eyes open. I went home, dragged myself up to my second floor apartment, and woke up 5 hours later on my couch. Then I went to bed and slept through the whole night. I dragged myself back to work the next day even though my head felt extremely foggy. I was in my boss' office when I passed out. This time I woke up in the emergency room watching a nurse trying to put an IV in my arm.

I didn't do it on purpose and that experience scared the crap out of me. My big lesson was listen to my body and treat it kindly. Please pay attention to your body's warning signs and heed them!
  • guessjr94
    guessjr94 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't always input what I eat after the gym, I usually forget.
    There are days your diary shows you eating 800 calories (total) and burning 1000 - THAT is not healthy or sustainable.

• guessjr94
    guessjr94 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well when I get to my goal weight, I will switch to maintenance mode. Keep logging my calories and reduce by gym time from 5 days a week to 3.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Eat more. Lose slower. Listen to @SusanMFindlay and everyone who is saying the same thing...

In all this... what is your maintenance plan? How are you planning to maintain your weight without regain or further loss?

• slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If the OP is eating around her recommended calories and is working out 5hrs/week, I don't see it as a bad thing. It isn't like she is working out several hours a day at that calorie level. As long as she feels fine, I don't see an issue.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with your metabolism. You can manipulate it going down, but a low calorie in/high calorie out plan can trick your metabolism into a very slow state. Then if you start to increase your calories and your metabolism is still in a slower mode your body will metabolize extra calories as fat to protect itself from starvation mode again. Just my two cents. Good luck.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    If the OP is eating around her recommended calories and is working out 5hrs/week, I don't see it as a bad thing. It isn't like she is working out several hours a day at that calorie level. As long as she feels fine, I don't see an issue.

The problem is that the recommendation for the calories can be wrong. If a person loses weight too fast, that's a sign that the recommendation is wrong. Continuing to follow a wrong recommendation is not healthy. The initial calorie recommendation I got from MFP was wrong by over 500 calories/day.

Nobody has criticized working out 5 hours per week. The only comments on exercise were from people who misread it as 5 hours per day.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    If you don't track everything you eat, your diary won't help like it could. Start tracking what you eat after the gym, at least till things have settled down where you are meeting expectations, not exceeding them and wondering why.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    guessjr94 wrote: »
    I am trying to lose 15 more pounds to be in the "normal" range.
    One general rule of thumb is to lose no more than 1% of your body weight per week (but you can ignore the first week or two being bigger, as that's often an average water weight adjustment). This is to minimize loss of lean body tissue (given that your body can only metabolize a certain amount of fat per day from each pound of fat on your body). Losing even more slowly for the last 25-50 pounds is also often advised, for the same reason.

If you enjoy doing that amount of exercise, and want to keep doing it, that's fine - exercising will also help you avoid losing lean body tissue. Just eat more.

Your own weight loss rate staying at a reasonable level is your best guide to staying strong & healthy while losing in a sustainable way. The calculators are just there to give you a starting point - each individual can differ from them, some of us by quite a lot.

When I accidentally lost too fast, by believing a calculator value that turned out to be too extreme for me, I eventually got fatigued and weakened. It took some time to get back to normal, even though I adjusted calories upward as soon as I realized there was a problem. Avoidance is better.