Anyone have young kids?

myiceisonfire
myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
General question...

How long before your little one was out of a toddler bed and into a big bed?

Mine boy is 14 months. I'm wondering if I should get a toddler bed, or just give him the extra queen we have.

Mainly I'm wondering how long before he'll be out of a toddler bed? If 2yrs, then what's the point of buying a toddler bed for less than a year?

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    DS was out of the crib at 15 months and into a toddler bed for less than a year before we switched him to a twin. Had I to do it again, I'd have put him straight into a twin with rails instead. So I kind of agree, what's the point of a toddler bed?
  • myiceisonfire
    DS was out of the crib at 15 months and into a toddler bed for less than a year before we switched him to a twin. Had I to do it again, I'd have put him straight into a twin with rails instead. So I kind of agree, what's the point of a toddler bed?

Thanks!.... His crib broke, so if we take off the side rail to make it a toddler bed, it falls apart. So I have to do something. I don't see a point in buying a bed that he'll use for only a short while when we already have an extra bed. Although the extra bed is a full. But I guess there's nothing wrong with giving him a full.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Our daughter went from crib to queen bed at 23 months. She was mostly sleeping in our bed anyway. Never bought a toddler bed.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member
    I did not buy or pay for our toddler beds. Had I had to buy them, I would have gone straight to twins. My girls were in toddler beds just before they turned 2 and were in twins just after they turned 3. A lot of wasted money there, but it wasn't mine so whatever.
  • TwinMamma09
    TwinMamma09 Posts: 140
    My twin girls are 27 months old and have no desire to climb out of their cribs. We are going to leave them in there until they show an interest of getting out. We will probably transition into twin size beds an skip the toddler beds just to save that in-between expense.

Good luck with your son.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    i switched mine out at 2 yrs old....thats when he started to try to escape the crib lol. I have a 11 month old now, and shes staying in her crib until she tries to start to escape as well. and theres nothing wrong with a full sized bed. my boy had a full bed up until a few months ago. we gave him a twin instead. the full just took up too much space in his room.
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    You could use a full and push one side against the wall and a rail on the other side. If you already have the full bed then it doesn't make sense to buy a toddler bed. My daugher has outgrown her toddler bed and ready to move to a bigger bed...she's 3 1/2.
  • cavywoman
    cavywoman Posts: 2 Member
    our wee boy is on his toddler bed at 3 1/2 years and will get maybe another year at most out of it. It has been worthwhile as we bought it as a covertible cotbed so he has had the use of it since coming out of his rocking crib at 4 months old. If we had just had a normal cot then i guess we would just have gone straight from that to a twin with rails.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    My son was in a toddler bed at 13 months. The reason being is that when he was 18 months his crib needed to go to his sister and I didnt want jealousy issues. We had no issues with the transition. If I wasnt given a free toddler bed i think I would have got a twin with a bed rail.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    We bought our baby boy a race car bed that was the size of a twin bed but low to the ground. I think toddler beds are a waste of money in my humble yet mostly accurate opinion.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    at 16 months daughter went to a twin, i didn't use rails, but i used the crib mattress on the floor so that if she did roll off she fell on the crib mattress and then during the day just pushed the crib mattress back under the bed, she never did roll off of it though.
  • myiceisonfire
    Thank you everyone =) .... My boy stated getting out of the crib at 11months lol. Quite the climber. =P I'd say pretty good for a preemie that was 7weeks early =P

Guess we'll go with the full =) Just need to buy a nice bedding-set then =)
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    I used toddler beds with both of my boys and will with my daughter as well. My oldest son went into his toddler bed on his second birthday, my second son went into his toddler bed at 15 months, and our daughter is turning 2 on Saturday and I am keeping her in the crib until she tries to climb out. I put my oldest son in a twin bed at 4. He slept in his toddler bed for 2 years. My second son went into a twin bed at 3 because we bought bunk beds. Toddler beds are pretty cheap at wal-mart and you use the same mattress from the crib. You can sell it on craigslist after and get most of your money back. Either way good luck!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    My youngest started crawling out of her crib at 17 months. She has one of those "lifetime" beds, so I converted it to a toddler bed--that was 2 years ago. Had I a mattress, I would have just converted it to a full sized bed, but, for now, she is still sleeping fine in it as a toddler bed. The better the longer, I am not in the position right now to buy a new mattress set.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    My oldest went to a toddler bed at 2, but he wouldn't sleep in it. We got him a twin bed right away - put a slap under the mattress instead of the mattress pad to keep it lower to the floor. My youngest went to a toddler bed at 16 months due to a broken crip. Same for him though - wouldn't really sleep in it because he wanted a big boy bed too. He was in a twin right away too.
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    you may want to try putting a mattress on the floor at this age. My older girl converted the crib to a toddler bed around 18 months, then moved into a full bed around age 3.5.
  • MaxandHenrysMom
    MaxandHenrysMom Posts: 59 Member
    My twins went to twin beds at 2yrs. We bought platform style beds so if they did fall out, no big deal. We also went with the platform so we could put into a L-shape and make the best use of space as they got older and began to play more in their room.
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    I found a very nice toddler bed at a yard sale $10 but my daughter refuses to sleep anywhere but with us...I'm hoping she grows out of this VERY soon...I just keep trying her in the toddler bed..Good luck
  • myiceisonfire
    you may want to try putting a mattress on the floor at this age. My older girl converted the crib to a toddler bed around 18 months, then moved into a full bed around age 3.5.

Do you mean put the full mattress on the floor, without the boxspring?
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member

Do you mean put the full mattress on the floor, without the boxspring?
    Yes, or you could use it with the boxspring. It would make the fall a little shorter :) Personally, I would not use a boxspring next time, because my older girl's full size bed is about 4 feet off the floor with the boxspring!