Net carbs? Is there any way for MFP to track these?

nixism
nixism Posts: 258 Member
I follow LCHF / Lower Carb Healthy Fat way of eating. Is there any way for MFP to track Net carbs??
I'm keen to see my net carbs, not just my total carbs *as all my carbs come from veges. Any ideas whether I can track net carbs on here?
Many thanks, :)

Replies

• nixism
    Thanks very much, that was what I was going to do anyways, but I wondered if there was an auto one on MFP which would do it for me. hehehe.. lazy. :)
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    or use UK postings of food in the database, the labeling is already net carbs, so no subtraction needed.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    or use UK postings of food in the database, the labeling is already net carbs, so no subtraction needed.

Same with Australian postings. Which is why having a net carb field would be inherently unreliable.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Subtract your fiber.

Is that all that is needed to determine this with typical USA or Canadian food entries?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    powered85 wrote: »
    Subtract your fiber.

Is that all that is needed to determine this with typical USA or Canadian food entries?

Yup, where the carb value given is total carbs (which includes fiber, and is standard on US entries), you simply subtract the fiber to get net carbs
  • aimeekitty84
    aimeekitty84 Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2017
    Ok, just so I've got my head around this...
    My diary shows a total of 29g carbs and 15g of fiber for the day.
    So technically I'm only on 14g Net carbs?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited February 2017
    Subtract your fiber.

Yup, where the carb value given is total carbs (which includes fiber, and is standard on US entries), you simply subtract the fiber to get net carbs

Not 100% of the time. Food manufacturers for the US market are allowed to subtract some or all fiber from total carbs if they wish, based upon solubility. The total carbs may have already had 50% or 100% of the fiber subtracted.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    Subtract your fiber.

Not 100% of the time. Food manufacturers for the US market are allowed to subtract some or all fiber from total carbs if they wish, based upon solubility. The total carbs may have already had 50% or 100% of the fiber subtracted.

Thanks. Does it have to state that on label though?

Some fiber actually can be absorbed as calories though can't it?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Bonny132 wrote: »

Same with Australian postings. Which is why having a net carb field would be inherently unreliable.

Unless you're the Australian adding the fibre to the carbs because you don't want to know net carbs. (I even check the calories vs macros and add unaccounted for calories in as fibre/carbs)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Ok, just so I've got my head around this...
    My diary shows a total of 29g carbs and 15g of fiber for the day.
    So technically I'm only on 14g Net carbs?

Yes, that's how it works.

Some people subtract sugar alcohols too but then it gets stupid complicated and annoying.
  • nixism
    Hey guys, thanks very much for your responses. I'm sorted now! Appreciate the advice!
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited February 2017
    Subtract your fiber.

That is not quite correct. Manufacturers that follow the US FDA Guidelines include the grams of dietary fiber in the Total Carbohydrate grams reported, as well as a separate line on the Nutrition Facts label. However, they have the option to either include the *Calories* contributed from the Total Carbs, or to include only the *Calories* contributed by Net Carbs (i.e. Total Carbs minus Dietary Fiber) in the calculation of Total Calories.

Most manufacturers just use the 4 Cals per Total Carbs rule to estimate Total Calories. The notable exception I have seen are for beans, which are very high in dietary fiber, and many manufacturers/packagers of beans subtract the *Calories* contributed by dietary fiber before calculating Total Calories. Those labels I have checked still include the grams of Fiber in the grams of Total Carbs; it is just the Total Calories are lower than one would expect by using the 4 Cals per Total Carb rule.

Edited to add: It took me a bit, but I found the links.

N17. Does total carbohydrate include dietary fiber?

Answer: Yes. Dietary fiber must be listed as a subcomponent under total carbohydrate. 21 CFR 101.9(c)(6)

https://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm064894.htm
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    CyberTone wrote: »
    Subtract your fiber.

That is not quite correct. Manufacturers that follow the US FDA Guidelines include the grams of dietary fiber in the Total Carbohydrate grams reported, as well as a separate line on the Nutrition Facts label. However, they have the option to either include the *Calories* contributed from the Total Carbs, or to include only the *Calories* contributed by Net Carbs (i.e. Total Carbs minus Dietary Fiber) in the calculation of Total Calories.

Most manufacturers just use the 4 Cals per Total Carbs rule to estimate Total Calories. The notable exception I have seen are for beans, which are very high in dietary fiber, and many manufacturers/packagers of beans subtract the *Calories* contributed by dietary fiber before calculating Total Calories. Those labels I have checked still include the grams of Fiber in the grams of Total Carbs; it is just the Total Calories are lower than one would expect by using the 4 Cals per Total Carb rule.

Thanks for the clarification.