I have had no problems controlling my eating until the past few days, my hunger has been awful.

Options
Who else here has been chugging along doing great and all of a sudden, with no other changes what so ever, hunger hits you like a brick wall? I haven't had any problem fighting off the hunger for the last 8 weeks, in a lot of cases I've felt good about what I'm eating, but this week, all of a sudden out of no where I am so hungry I can't stand it. I have made absolutely no changes in diet or exercise from what I've been doing. I don't know what to do because it is really going to break me if I don't find a way to curb my appetite. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I get it every once in a while because of my period. Idk what causes it in men.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? How many calories does MFP give you? Are you meeting your calorie/protein/fat/fiber goals?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Sure, that happens to me every month premenstrually but since you're a guy that doesn't explain anything for you.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    recent lack of sleep?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I upped my cardio activity I got a terrific attack of the munchies a few days later.

As long as you are eating enough, you can try a few things until the munchies pass.

One idea I saw here that I think is just brilliant. Try drinking a full glass of water between bites.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    recent lack of sleep?

I was sick for about 10 days, and didn't sleep much while I was sick, but the hunger didn't set in until after I was already feeling better.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Ah. Google leptin and ghrelin.
    Also, depending on the malady, recovery/healing can burn more calories.

ETA: my suggestion would be to focus on a full recovery, eat at maintenance until you're sleeping enough, and double check your protein & fat macros to ensure you are hitting those minimums.

FWIW, if I eat & sleep too little when sick, I become ravenous as soon as I start feeling better. Same with my kids. It only lasts a day or two, though. Hope you're back to your old self soon!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,692 Member
    Options
    If you are eating all your calories and not increasing your exercise, you may need to tweak what you are eating. More protein can help with hunger. More fiber/bulk can also help. Meal timing can make a difference too. If I don't eat after a hard workout, I am sometimes so hungry at dinner the meal doesn't begin to fill me. I do better if I eat a little something so I don't get as hungry. How quickly are you losing weight? Maybe it's time to back off a bit - i.e. if you're trying to lose 2 pounds a week, switch to one pound a week.
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I say after 4 weeks of cutting calories you should do a week of maintenance calories or a re-feed week. It helps keep those starving moments away and gives you something to look forward to.

Just a thought.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I had a pretty hungry day yesterday and i am on a medication that suppresses my appetite.
    I ate 2100 calories when my daily goal is 1600 and usually i don't feel hungry or anything normally but could of ate the *kitten* end of a skunk lol

I love you @Look_Its_Kriss you made me laugh which is impressive after my day :D

I have noticed my starving days coincide pretty closely to days i undereat, But like a week after. Sort of like salt making you gain weight.....3 days later. Maybe look back at your past 2 weeks see if anything has changed? Can be as simple as a new food
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    I had a pretty hungry day yesterday and i am on a medication that suppresses my appetite.
    I ate 2100 calories when my daily goal is 1600 and usually i don't feel hungry or anything normally but could of ate the *kitten* end of a skunk lol

I love you @Look_Its_Kriss you made me laugh which is impressive after my day :D

I have noticed my starving days coincide pretty closely to days i undereat, But like a week after. Sort of like salt making you gain weight.....3 days later. Maybe look back at your past 2 weeks see if anything has changed? Can be as simple as a new food

Haha, you're welcome <3

And i think this is pretty accurate cause most days i am working, despite the fact that my calorie goal is 1600, i don't really limit myself to that number, i work around food so i felt i needed a more consistent meal to snack ratio then i do at home.. so between breakfast, lunch, dinner and two snacks i sometimes usually need more calories.. 1700,1800 depending on what i feel like eating.

At home though i eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and i only have a snack at 8pm and only if i am hungry
    so i may or may not hit 1600 at all.. could be 1300 or 1400.

And SOMETIMES on those days off i get into moods where i have so much energy i feel like i could pick up the ocean and throw it into the sun with my pinkie finger and end life on earth as we know it in total darkness LOL and to avoid that and let us have our happy sunny days, i hit the gym and light the machines on fire and can put in some pretty high calorie burns sometimes.. which actually did happen a few days back, which would probably result in a very hungry Krista a few days later.

Yeah i havent been sleeping for the past 3 weeks (out of my control i have a condition) my body feels exhausted but my energy was huge (its weird i know sounds contradictory) so iv been walking 10-15 miles a day.

Burned myself out with lack of sleep and i feel it in my body, But my appetite has been on a scale of non existent to lick the fridge door handle because to hungry to even bother waiting to make the food.

Looking back at my fitbit steps and my work schedule the days im not hungry at all are the days i walk/work alot....I eat more calories because i know them but still have large defecits and about 4-5 days later i have a starving day. And then 4-5 days after my starving day im back to no hunger.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    Yup, today has been better compared to yesterday, slightly above 1400 calories today and no gym.
    Hunger seems to have died off and the pills are back to doing their no appetite thingie that they do.

Having a hungry day is probably good though because it brings up your net average if its on the low side.

I ate a kfc meal today that destroyed my calories today, But i also worked ...alot...at an awful horrible job XD and got 16k steps. So im likely gonna be just fine.

For another 4 days ;)
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    yeah id never pick to eat there....the sabotaging aunt picked it XD Was to stressed to honestly care. I have some new *kitten* she said today to share with you guys though xD
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    sort of, She told me that the half a cup of diet soda i drank would cause me to be severely dehydrated and id be beter off just not drinking anything (i was dehydrated as hell of my job today i needed to drink something)

I know diet pops can have a small effect the stupid comes more from the "dont drink anything even if your dehydrated because its diet!"

Atleast this one has some evidence atleast backing her logic vs the "diet coke has sugar substitutes that stick to your insides forever" claim

But still..*kitten* im thirsty piss off.

Fyi im glad you changed your eating i like having you around XD
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    OP, considering that you were feeling ill and didn't sleep well, I'm guessing that your body is requiring extra calories to heal.

How many calories did you eat whilst ill? How many do you usually consume?

To answer your question, yes my hunger spikes premenstrually, after I've been ill or after I've increased the volume of my training. Right now, it's all three. :laugh: