Shoe suggestions

Options
Looking to buy new shoes. I will be running 2-3 x per week (~ 5km) and doing strength training (machine based mostly to protect my almost 50 year old back) twice per week.

Recommendations?

Replies

• kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I went to my local shoe store that specializes in running and athletic shoes and was properly fitted for a pair that met my workout goals but still kept my foot in the correct position (I have *kitten* ankles and they roll without much provocation). So maybe see if your town has a store like this that can help?
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store. They'll let you try on as many as you like, pick what is most comfortable for YOU and you'll get sized properly. Most have treadmills, any store worth anything will at a bare minimum let you take them for a test spin outside.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Different brands fit my feet very differently. Saucony--which oa friend of mine swears by--have arch supports in EXACTLY the wrong place for my feet. Another friend of mine won't wear anything but New Balance, but I don't like the way they feel on the sides and top of my feet.

I've had recent success with Ecco and Merrill brands that I got on closeout.

My advice is keep an open mind, experiment, and when you find something that works, be willing to invest!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store. They'll let you try on as many as you like, pick what is most comfortable for YOU and you'll get sized properly. Most have treadmills, any store worth anything will at a bare minimum let you take them for a test spin outside.

This.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    Get fitted properly. Everyone's feet are different. Some of us pronate, some supinate, some have high arches, some have wide forefoots, some like a zero drop and some of us like a lot of cushion. What works for me with my duck feet would probably not work for you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    What works for my 61 year old feet may not work for yours. Each manufacturer has different width heels, different size toe boxes etc.

Best bet is to go to an actual running store and have them look at your gait and make some recommendations. Next best thing is to go to a sports shop and try on a variety of shoes with a view to finding a shoe that fits like a glove and is extremely comfortable. In terms of quality you can't go wrong with any of the major brands (Nike, Adidas, Saucony, Asics, Mizuno etc) and you shouldn't need to "break in" a new pair of shoes if they fit properly.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    l3long wrote: »
    Looking to buy new shoes. I will be running 2-3 x per week (~ 5km) and doing strength training (machine based mostly to protect my almost 50 year old back) twice per week.

Recommendations?

Two different pairs. Use running shoes for running, other shoes for resistance training.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    The ones for your foot and gait.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    l3long wrote: »

Recommendations?

Running shoes should be used only for running. They are good only for a certain number of miles. Don't ask for recommendations from strangers.They probably don't have the same kind of feet as you do. A running store will get you properly fitted with options that are good for your feet. You can pick the pair you like best.

I just use regular athletic shoes for weights or other cardio.
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Good running shoes make all the difference. Bad/ill fitting or even worn out running shoes can cause knee, hip, and/or foot pain. I speak from experience.

Definitely get fitted at a running store, not a big box sporting goods store.

I told myself I would find a good shoe then buy my next pair online at a cheaper price. Never again. Shoes change every year! I've tried buying the same model/brand/size from Amazon and they don't fit the same. I will be going back to the running store every time.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I think the running shoes have been covered, but if you are doing any sort of freestanding weight lifting you want something flat without padding, basically the opposite of running shoes. I wear $6 canvas slipons from Walmart. If it's 100% machines you should be fine wearing the running shoes for both.