High protein crock pot suggestions?

jen_092
jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
Hi all. I'm a lazy, busy, and broke grad student. I'm trying to eat more protein. Luckily I was gifted a crock pot for the holidays! So with this I have made a turkey chilli recipe from a McCormick packet and a "fiesta chicken" recipe by McCormick as well (basically like a Mexican chicken chilli). These are the only two types of meat that I eat. I love these recipes but I'm afraid to get sick of them. Any other suggestions for high protein crock pot recipes? :)

Replies

• geneomac
    geneomac Posts: 3 Member
    I take a pack of fresh chicken breast (not the bagged, frozen) and put in a crock pot with mrs dash and cook on high for 3.5 to 4.5 hours. Then you can shred it or slice it. I'm good for 4 to 5 days.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Soup - add lots of beans & chicken.
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Put a couple of chicken breasts in the crockpot with a can of cream of chicken soup and let it cook on low about 6 hours (or 3-4 hrs on high). Serve over brown rice or whole-grain noodles. The chicken will be tender and fall apart. Easy and delicious!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I'll do a half pork loin in ours and it'll last a week for me and the wife. Just pop it in, toss a few onions, spices, rubs (whatever you have) in with it and cook it on low for about six hours. Shred it, add more spices, onions, etc. drain off fat if you want, and once it's good and done and the onions are translucent toss it on a bun, add BBQ sauce if you want (I do), top with some homemade coleslaw and enjoy heaven on a bun. High protein, low calorie. Of course the calories depend on the bun and the sauce used but the pork loin itself is very lean.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Meatballs. Heat up tomato sauce, put it in the crock pot. Season your mince and add whatever spices you want, crushed garlic etc. I usually add breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs and egg, as it makes the texture nicer, but if you're wanting to maximise protein you might prefer not to do that. Roll the mince into balls and drop into the hot sauce, cook on Low for 4-5 hours. I usually use beef but turkey would work fine.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    I do boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 kg, and a 1 pint/473 mL jar of salsa into the crock pot on low for 6-7 hours. I eat it with black beans, cilantro lime rice, and lettuce kind of like a burrito salad.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Chicken breast and hot sauce/salsa. Add beans, rice and whatever else to your liking.
  • mikeisgod83
    mikeisgod83 Posts: 21 Member
    Last week I did chicken + salsa + fat free cream cheese (added after about 5 hours of cooking, towards the end) was very good and i shredded for soft tacos or to put on salada/eat itself etc etc. This week I did chicken + 1 14oz jar of Franks Wing Sauce + 1 packet of Hidden Valley ranch mix. Super easy, cover the chicken in the wing sauce, then dump the ranch across the chicken... i think i did on low for 6hrs? I'd check your food regularly till you get your own cooking time (depends on the crockpot, depends on if you're using thaw/frozen meat etc)
  • megd44
    megd44 Posts: 115 Member
    I did a whole chicken last night. Potatoes, carrots, onions and celery on bottom, chicken next. Season with whatever you like - I used garlic, onion and lemon pepper. Sliced mushrooms on top. Cook on low for about eight hours. Using leftovers and broth tomorrow to make soup.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    @jenxbowers Saw these on the MFP blog. Some of them could probably work in a crockpot. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/7-high-protein-meatless-one-pan-meals/

Good luck!
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Thank you so much, everyone!