Refeed day planning.... Any help

Options
So I need to hit 110g protein, 20g fat and a whopping 280g carbs for my refeed day.
I am going to struggle with so little fat and so many carbs- anyone have any ideas of how I can turn this into a delightful day- I usually have a breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner followed by something sweet (fruit or chocolate or a low cal treat of some sort)
Thanks in advance...

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've never done a refeed--is it normal to cut your fat back that low?

I have no idea what to suggest other than 11 pixie sticks for the carbs. It doesn't sound like a delightful day.
  • Lou_trition
    Lou_trition Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I've never done a refeed--is it normal to cut your fat back that low?

I have no idea what to suggest other than 11 pixie sticks for the carbs. It doesn't sound like a delightful day.

I work with a nutritionist, who has set me these targets- and I trust her so as normal as its not Im going to give it a go! I just feel like I cant even have an egg! And I dont want to go down the oats for each meal apprach- Ive got 280g of carbs to play with, I may as well enjoy them!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Bread with jam, potatoes, candy, fruit/dried fruit, juice, cereals (use almond or skim milk to keep low on fats), beans/legumes, oatmeal, pasta (pretty bland without fat though..), rice..

What is the purpose of this refeed? I have also heard stuff about it, but not sure what benefits it offers.
  • Lou_trition
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Bread with jam, potatoes, candy, fruit/dried fruit, juice, cereals (use almond or skim milk to keep low on fats), beans/legumes, oatmeal, pasta (pretty bland without fat though..), rice..

What is the purpose of this refeed? I have also heard stuff about it, but not sure what benefits it offers.

I've been slowly cutting my cals and I believe the refeed day is a way of cheating the body into boosting a loss/stop it getting complacent. And something to do with Leptin levels. I'm on a strict macro and training plan- so I'm trusting the experts. I dont think Id ever prescribe myself such a day- but we will see. The results so far have been phenomenal and I'll just have to wait and see what the refeed day does! Thanks for your suggestions. Bread with jam sounds yummy!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes, corn, look up protein cheesecake, certain fruits, red potatoes
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    A lot of people who do the refeed thing turn to cereal and bagels.
  • theman900
    theman900 Posts: 48 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Reffeed days are definitely legit i do ine once a week at about maintebace or 100 over they provide a massive psychological break from dieting allows you to eat muh less on your diet olus it helps with leptin levels allowing you to feel less hungry and burn more when you resume

Eat as many glucose carbs as possible fructose carbs is alright as well as carbs have the biggest impact on leptin i eat plenty of potatoes sweet potatoes rice ,fruits and even cassava pancakes drizzle with some honey enjoy its a break that really helps
  • Lou_trition
    Options
    Thanks a mill for all of the advice... In case you're interested, this is how my day is planned out for refeed,
    4 slices fruit toast with marmalade, Greek yogurt with blueberries, a huge 320g sweet potato baked with 250g baked beans and some chilli prawns. Then for dinner I'm having a chicken orzo dish and then some low fat rice pudding to finish! All for a total of 1724 cals, 285g carbs, 101g protein and 18g fat.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My trainer wanted to do this approach with me - 9 days of strict LCHF and a carb refeed on the 10th day. I refused lol :) His advice for the carb day was things like pizza and doughnuts, anything goes really. Your food for today sounds yum actually and still looks really healthy.
  • Lou_trition
    Options
    My trainer wanted to do this approach with me - 9 days of strict LCHF and a carb refeed on the 10th day. I refused lol :) His advice for the carb day was things like pizza and doughnuts, anything goes really. Your food for today sounds yum actually and still looks really healthy.

Yeah- I wouldnt want to blow it on junk that's not going to fill me up! It is crazy my PT was advising the LCHF approach too which I tried but then I started using the nutritionist who has actually cut my fat intake significantly! It was reading these forums that promoted me to get one- PTs are not nutrition experts and there is too much bro-science in the world of PTs so before using her I was aiming to get 30-35% of everything... now its 40%+ carbs, 35% protein and fat is what is left over.
    I must admit, I love the feeling of feeling properly fuelled and not 'hungry-hungry' which I used to be all of the time, and I think raising the carbs has definitely helped. and the changes to my body are insane!
    Today is the first seriously high carb, low fat day I've had and I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out on the scales!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    my refeed days usually include protein pancakes (in your case i'd cover them in maple syrup and berries and some low fat yoghurt), and often homemade burgers (super lean beef, or chicken) with sweet potato fries. (baked...not fried!) and a low fat dessert
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    When I was doing refeeds I mostly went with plain bagels and toaster waffles. Did they give you any kind of window for it?
    I typically did mine in about 4 hours. Be prepared to be tired afterwards too!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I do one about once a week or two.

Refeeds are supposed to replenish glycogen in your muscles after low carb dieting/exercise. The goal is really to carb load to replace glycogen and increase hormone levels without gaining fat. If you subscribe to Lyle McDonald at all, he gives a very detailed explanation of how to do this in his UD2 book. It sounds like you could save yourself some money by reading his books instead of paying someone - kind of sounds like your trainer has read his books! ;-)

However, in basic terms you want to have a good workout before starting your refeed. You want fat as low as possible during this, that is why she limited you to 20g total. At first (maybe the first meal after your workout) you can eat some simple sugars - kids cereal, hard candy, fruit, etc. After that, you really want to focus on complex carbs - breads, potatoes, pasta, rice, etc. You don't want to go whole wheat/high fiber as that doesn't really count towards the refeed goal. Split up the meals and carbs into 6-9 fairly even meals spread over a day or 2. Keep protein the same as usual. DRINK TONS OF WATER!!!

Some things to think about - your blood sugar is going to spike pretty hard and I tend to get really sleepy/sluggish. Some people don't. It affects people a little differently, but you will notice a difference in how you feel. Your weight is going to spike - don't freak out, its water/glycogen. Low fat carb loading is actually not as fun as it sounds - be prepared to be a little frustrated that you can't just go eat a bunch of sugary goodness and be done. That 20g limit is going to suck!

Finally, at the end of the carb refeed, you'll do a heavy strength session to try to build a little muscle and take advantage of the energy levels.

Have fun!
  • Lou_trition
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    I do one about once a week or two.

Finally, at the end of the carb refeed, you'll do a heavy strength session to try to build a little muscle and take advantage of the energy levels.

Have fun!

Thanks for all of that information... Yes I was tired and and sluggish lastnight, but this morning I SMASHED my workout.. got my personal best on a deadlift= my own bodyweight! And the weight only went up 0.2kg- all in all I think it was worth it... will see how the strength and weight fluctuates over the rest of the week but Im pretty happy so far!

And I get you on the people thinking its easy/fun. When I think back to the yellow/beige mess I had yesterday it kindof makes me feel ill- Next time I will need to get a lot more creative!