Recharge at work=no good for me!

Options
So my work started doing this new thing in the cafeteria where every Wednesday they have what they call recharge Wednesday. They serve snacks that are supposed to give you energy to get through the rest of the day. So you know, I'm thinking, finally something healthy! Because healthy foods are what fuel your body and give you energy. Nope! I head down to check it out, what do they have? Cookies, cupcakes, pizza slices, ice cream, and pudding. Seriously? Ugh, so despite how amazing it all smelled, here I sit at my desk horribly disappointed and really wanting a cookie lol.

Replies

• skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    A small victory in a larger battle, way to stand strong and say no to junk! :)
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    So my work started doing this new thing in the cafeteria where every Wednesday they have what they call recharge Wednesday. They serve snacks that are supposed to give you energy to get through the rest of the day. So you know, I'm thinking, finally something healthy! Because healthy foods are what fuel your body and give you energy. Nope! I head down to check it out, what do they have? Cookies, cupcakes, pizza slices, ice cream, and pudding. Seriously? Ugh, so despite how amazing it all smelled, here I sit at my desk horribly disappointed and really wanting a cookie lol.

Perhaps put a request into whoever organizes it for healthy options?

They use to do pizza a ton here at work till people requested better options, now they offer make your own salads, wraps and vegetarian options when they do food.

Definitely worth a try.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Write them a nasty memo!! Do research on company time about how all the foods they selected negatively effect energy and suggest some more appropriate alternatives. That will learn em! lol
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    A small victory in a larger battle, way to stand strong and say no to junk! :)

i agree! I also wondered if you could email those in charge of this idea with requests, desires and suggestions.......innovative people (hopefully your company thinks along those lines) may want new ideas.

Good Luck!
  • brittanybee07
    Options
    That is depressing! Well, I have to commend you for staying strong and avoiding those high calorie foods with little to offer you nutritionally! Way to go!
  • MsRoxyPepper
    MsRoxyPepper Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    if they won't include healthier choices pack your own. I am in love with FiberOne brownies. only 90 cals and so yummy. rich taste, no chalkiness. my coworkers steal mine all the time
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Perhaps put a request into whoever organizes it for healthy options?

They use to do pizza a ton here at work till people requested better options, now they offer make your own salads, wraps and vegetarian options when they do food.

Definitely worth a try.

I suggested doing some fruit and/or veggies as well with this and the kitchen manager looked at me and laughed, then said people don't buy that stuff.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Write them a nasty memo!! Do research on company time about how all the foods they selected negatively effect energy and suggest some more appropriate alternatives. That will learn em! lol

**DISAGREE** that would be young minded, unprofessional, and not tactful at all...You should do research and present it in a way that is proactive. You are more likely to get a response you are satisfied with. You don't want to make the organizer be defensive. Good luck.
  • amberlee2011
    amberlee2011 Posts: 129
    Options
    Wow that is really sad. My firm is actually really good about keeping things healthy. Once a month in the summer they provide a cook out for us with 100% whole wheat buns, sirloin patties, turkey hot dogs, fruit and veggies. They also organized a program where everyone pays $5.00 and it goes for three months at a time. If you meet your goal, you get your $5.00 back plus $5.00 from the firm. Maybe suggest something like this. You can’t be the only one who doesn’t want to eat that junk
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    They did the same thing at my husband's work until everybody complained. Everybody wants healthy options, but it's kind of like a foregone conclusion that there's going to be unhealthy food.

If you speak up, you could be helping out a lot of people who are working hard to eat well, too. The bad stuff doesn't benefit anybody, and the good stuff benefits everybody. Sometimes all it takes is one voice.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I suggested doing some fruit and/or veggies as well with this and the kitchen manager looked at me and laughed, then said people don't buy that stuff.

Wow. That's depressing. :(

Maybe if enough people ask them...

In the meantime, they should call it "Spike-n-Crash" instead of "Recharge." :wink:
  • bymelya1
    bymelya1 Posts: 34
    Options
    The first thing I saw when I got to work this morning was a huge chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and three boxes of donuts with a note that says " for the great team effort". OMG!! that's why mostly of my co-worker are over weight!!
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options

Ummm... silly question, but don't all those sugary foods cause an energy crash? If they really want people to have energy for the rest of the day, there should be protein involved. Sugar only gives you an energy boost for about 30 minutes (at least based on what I've been told)
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

**DISAGREE** that would be young minded, unprofessional, and not tactful at all...You should do research and present it in a way that is proactive. You are more likely to get a response you are satisfied with. You don't want to make the organizer be defensive. Good luck.

Yeah because I was totally being serious!!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Yeah because I was totally being serious!!

Well Yukon,
    Difficult to tell with text only...My apologies. There are ppl on here that do behave this way and it is not good advice to share. If Im being sarcastic, it is helpful to add a J/K or something to that affect. You may consider this for next time to avoid this common response. :wink:

Anywho...a proactive approach is the most effective. Good luck.