Absolutely devastated gained 3kgs over night.

Options
So last night I stepped on the scale and it told me 78kgs. This morning it told me 80kgs and tonight it told me 81kgs. I've stuck to a 1200 calorie diet for 2 months. I started at 84, so to get to 78kgs was a massive achievement, only to see it go back to 81 over night. The only thing different from today and yesterday was that I got the implant contraceptive rod put back into my arm. I've had it for 3 years, had the old one taken out and new one put back in. I don't understand, I'm so devestated right now.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Did you also eat 21 000 calories above maintenance?
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Ok it's one day out of your whole life, let's take a breath. Most likely water weight unless u over at at 3*3500 cals then its fat u gained.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Ure also weighing yourself wayyyy to many times a day and it's clearly messing with your head
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It's not fat, it is very likely temporary fluid retention and could be for many various reasons (including hormones). Drink plenty of water, keep at it, and no doubt within a couple of days or so your weight will have stablised.

Edited to add...off course you are going to weigh heavier at the end of the day. If you are going to weigh daily, do it once only, best time is first thing after being to the toilet and before any food or drink

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    'absolutely devestated' is a slight over reaction, noone died...

its water weight

you're going to weigh more on a night than in the morning, where do you think the food and drink go!?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I weighed the same for 9 days straight, 1lb over my lowest recorded, today I'm back down but haven't hit a new low yet that my intake says I should have. It's just natural fluctuations. It happens. One weigh in ( or 4 over the course of a day, stop that if it causes this much distress) tells you absolutely nothing. This is a process and you have to become comfortable with the fact the scale isn't always going to reflect your commitment.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I'm 2.5kg heavier this morning than I was a week ago and over 1kg heavier than yesterday. Weight fluctuates due to water retention. It'll be gone again within the next 2 weeks (actually 4 weeks since my TOM is starting in 2 weeks. So that'll add another 1kg before all that water finally finds the exit).

Did you start/change your exercise? Did you eat saltier than normal? Did you eat more carbs than usual? Is it close to your time of the month? Close to ovulation? Did you eat higher volumes of food (lots of veggies) and haven't had a BM yet? (i.e. waste in your intestines also add weight to the scale.) Did you drink any amounts before stepping on the scale?

Any of the above can impact your weight WITHOUT it being a fat gain.

Stop stepping on the scale multiple times per day. Once a day, in the morning, after having gone to the bathroom and either naked or with the same clothes is plenty. Preferably use a weight trending app (libra on android/happy scale on apple/trendweight.com if you have a fitbit account) to watch the trend without agonizing over the daily ups and downs.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    DONT WEIGH AT NIGHT TIME

If you need to weigh lots just take a weekly weigh in sane time same day after going to toilet naked
    Ignore any other weighs
    Then long term only go with a monthly weigh in it's the bigger picture so if you started say Jan 15th every 15th of the month that's your official weight.
    Our body's can retain water , toilet issues can effect it, weigh a litre water that can effect you

Tbh take measures are better indicator of loss

But if you HAVE to weigh lots you have to take the result with a pinch of salt just go with weekly weigh ins
  • RachaelIsLosingIt
    RachaelIsLosingIt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This happens to be all the time. Give me a slice of pizza and the first day of PMT and my weight will go up 8lbs in a matter of hours.

I always do my weight in on a Sunday morning.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Weighing at night and weighing in the morning will mess with your head. Mornings before breakfast. As a bloke I have a slightly easier time as I dont have monthly fluctations, but suggest trendweight or similar app/web site to track the trends, then you can stop worrying about the daily figures. The next suggestion is to measure with the good old tape. Then you will see inches dropping when the scales are not being nice.
  • VVVeeVee
    VVVeeVee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    why would you weigh at nighttime? You have eaten and everything. I weigh in the morning, then just for fun weighed myself a couple of hours later and had gained 4 pounds just from having breakfast and being awake.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I weigh morning and night for medical reasons only, otherwise just weigh once.......better yet if you can do it weigh yourself once a week and on the same day
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Where are you at on your monthly cycle? I gain 3 kg's the first week of my cycle. then they go away when that week is done :) It's most likely water weight :)
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! It can't be fat gain overnight. Drink lots of water and don't eat too much sodium and it will come off.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at odd times just because it's interesting to me to see what the normal variance is. The key there is that it's normal variance. You didn't gain 3kg in a day. It would take 23,100 calories above maintenance to do that.

Sometimes my weight goes up 2-3 kg the day after a race because I like to follow up a race with some beer (couple of pints) and sandwich and fries (loaded with salt). That and my recovering muscles mean I retain some water. Two days later, that water is gone.

I'll weigh myself before and after a poop, just for fun, because I'm a weirdo. The record over time, however, always reflects exactly what I intended it to: a downward trend toward my goal. If you aren't one of the people who can recognize this and it freaks you out to see the number change and fluctuate, I agree with the other posters here. Limit weighing yourself to a "weigh in day" once a week, in the morning, after you use the toilet. It'll save you stress.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think most folks have hit on what I would say - weigh yourself in the am - consistent setting (I do it within about 5min of getting up - stumble downstairs to let the dogs out; pee and then weigh); log it - but look for overall downward trends - I track how much salt I consume, workouts, steps, sleep, TOM - all of which factors in to how much my weight can vary from day to day
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    No need to worry. Your weight fluctuates 2-3 lbs during the course of a day or couple days. Completely normal.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    why on earth are you comparing morning and night weights?