Planet fitness

Options
I want to join planet fitness ,but I want to know from members if it's good or anything you want me to know about.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want. It's fine if you're looking primarily to use cardio machines or if you're ok to just use resistance training machines. If you desire to really get into weight lifting, it's sub-optimal at best.

I personally don't like their fit shaming marketing.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Based on the last discussion it's very location dependent. Some franchises are very casual. Mine is very good.

Others are very strict and rigid.
  • krwjohnson
    krwjohnson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    People are gonna bad mouth it but I thinks it's a fine gym. It's cheap and the one I go to has everything I need. There are people there of all different fitness levels and I've never seen anyone kicked out.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
  • bearbear30
    bearbear30 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness--that said, I also pretty much only do cardio and body weight training so I don't miss things that they don't offer (different classes, stair climber, rowing machines) also other Pfits might have those things just not the one i go to. I pay $20 which is a good deal for me so i actually do go to get my $ worth. I get to tan also, which I love because it makes me prettier and keeps me happy in Cold, beautiful, frigid, messy VT winters. Everyone that works there is nice and I like their "no judgement zone" thing because I really hate people that drop their weights intentionally or grunt unnecessarily hard when they lift.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I personally have loved it since I started going 3 years ago. I was extremely anxious and self-conscious, so when I walked in and the woman who greeted me was actually bigger than me, it gave me relief. I felt at ease. I've never had any issues of judgement at a PF. I've seen all types workout there, from experienced bodybuilders to complete beginners. I've never seen anyone shamed for being fit - in fact, most of the regulars at mine are very fit.

That being said, as I got more into weightlifting and less into cardio, I have pretty much weened off of PF. I have a home gym now which has everything I was lacking at PF. I run outside for cardio most of the time, but still have a membership for bad weather days.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I personally have loved it since I started going 3 years ago. I was extremely anxious and self-conscious, so when I walked in and the woman who greeted me was actually bigger than me, it gave me relief. I felt at ease. I've never had any issues of judgement at a PF. I've seen all types workout there, from experienced bodybuilders to complete beginners. I've never seen anyone shamed for being fit - in fact, most of the regulars at mine are very fit.

That being said, as I got more into weightlifting and less into cardio, I have pretty much weened off of PF. I have a home gym now which has everything I was lacking at PF. I run outside for cardio most of the time, but still have a membership for bad weather days.

I'm sorry you felt insecure about going to the gym- but feeling better about yourself because someone is fatter than you is kind of dick.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'd check out your location before you join - what you get at your franchise is going to depend on demand and clientele.
    Mine has a pretty big base of members, it's very clean, and well-maintained. Plenty of the standard cardio machines (treadmills, ellipticals, stair climbers, high-knee trainers, bikes), but there is also a decent free-weight section, lots of weight machines, a "core" area for abs and floor/bodyweight exercise, medicine balls, pull-up bars, a TRX station, etc. All different body-types and fitness levels, including some majorly bulked-up dudes. My location is a decent choice unless you're looking for a serious lifting gym.

Also, my sign-up special involved no initiation fee and it's $10 a month. If nothing else, it's like being on 5-year, no-interest payment plan for buying a treadmill that doesn't fit in my apartment.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I can only give testimony of one, so unless you're planning to workout in north central WV I'm not sure how much help I'll be. That said, the one near me is clean, bright, well stocked, and cheap. They have quite a bit of strength training equipment, but if you're looking for major weight training it may not meet your needs. If you don't need an Olympic bar and plates, you should do ok. I've never seen the fitness shaming I've heard others speak of. I'm not saying it hasn't happened but it doesn't seem to happen here. We have a slew of college age people with perfectly fit bodies working out in tank tops and tight capri like pants. I've never eaten pizza or bagels there, though I've been known to make use of the tootsie rolls after a workout due to being diabetic.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Well- I am not a mind reader- how the sentence is presented is how that read to me. perhaps it was not it's intent- but clarity could be provided.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It's dependant on your goals. Care to share them?
  • jcpolk1856
    jcpolk1856 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Take a tour of your local pf. If you like it then join. Personally i doubt I'd ever join but i have my reasons
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Well- I am not a mind reader- how the sentence is presented is how that read to me. perhaps it was not it's intent- but clarity could be provided.

I'm not a mind reader either, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt before throwing around phrases like "kind of dick." If you needed clarity, why didn't you just ask for it?

OP I would echo what others have said. You can only know if it's for you by checking it out for yourself. Good luck!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Went to a PF to help an old acquaintance from HS. It was his gym. The one we went too, only a few months old, had a stunning lack of bands, tubes, or even a foam roller. The guy was having back and shoulder issues and I wanted to help him mobilize and work toward fixing these problems. Couldn't do it, so I had to find sub-optimal ways of helping him.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My company handled a networking contract for PF, so I had the opportunity to visit every site in my area and got a good look around at each, as well as speaking to managers and all. Each one was different, different atmosphere's and equipment.

That said, since they seem to be standardizing their equipment among sites these days, you may want to find someone you know who goes and visit as a guest? It certainly isn't for everyone, but if they're geared towards your personal goals OP, it might be a good fit. If you're goals are towards powerlifting or body building you may want to look elsewhere.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    uyai11 wrote: »
    I want to join planet fitness ,but I want to know from members if it's good or anything you want me to know about.

What are your goals? Probably would help former and present members here to give their opinions of the establishment for you if they knew what you were needing out of the gym.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    But for generic informational purposes from a location in Montgomery, AL:

- A lot of purple and yellow (like A LOT)
    - A lot of cardio equipment to include: ellipticals, treadmills, a few stairmasters, and a couple of those weird Gazelle-looking machines
    - A decent collection of dumbbells for (relatively) lighter workouts - 2.5-80lb dumbbells in 5-pound increments
    - Friendly staff sometimes, sometimes reserved staff that doesn't say much. Not unfriendly, just reserved.
    - Clean establishment
    - Nice, basic shower/changing area
    - A lot of machine weights (I think it's Cybex brand at this location), very little free weights
    - Snacks at the front desk
    - Massage chair that you can pay a few dollars for a few minutes
    - Maybe a sauna, I don't remember?
    - Vending machine with mostly marked up protein shakes, pre-workout drinks, and the likes
    - Large membership and borderline overcrowded at peak hours

That's about all I got. I was never a member there, but the manager gave me a free week when I was in college down the road. It ultimately wasn't for me, but I can see where many people would benefit from what they offer.
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Mine is awsome, I'm new to lifting so for me the size of the weights are great. If your a heavy lifter the sizeof the weights might not be what your looking for :) ask for a tour and see if you like the machines/weights they have available.
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    Options
    I just changed from one Planet Fitness to different one. The new one is WAY more better. It has equipment I have never seen before. As a female I love the fractional dumb bells they have there. I am doing the Stronglifts 5x5 there so I have to do most of it on a Smith Machine.