31 y/o ex dancer getting back into dancer shape

Options
dyanamix
dyanamix Posts: 1 Member
edited February 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I was a competitive dancer for the majority of my youth and I miss it terribly. Most of all, I miss the flexibility. My goal is to be able to do a full leg extension/tilt, something I never could do even back then. Any tips?

Replies

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Pilates and yoga are great for flexibility
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    There's an app called StretchIt that might help. It's $4.99 a month and it has and actual group of sessions to help with back flexibility, splits, and full body. You could search YouTube for different stretching and flexibility videos. I think her name is Bendy Kate, and she has different stretching dvds that are meant for dancers, circus performers, and pole dancers to help them get and maintain flexibility.

But patience is going to be your number one virtue. Gaining flexibility takes time.
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Do you remember any of your warms-ups/stretches/strength workouts from when you were a dancer? There's no reason why that wouldn't be a good place to start, as long as you account for the fact that you've been out of the game for a while and don't try to do too much too soon.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, take it sloooow. Like it or not, we lose flexibility as we age...although we can certainly regain it and you will more quickly than people who didn't take dance.

And I would be careful about your goals. Try not to have a goal today that you couldn't do in peak form in the past; that may not be realistic. At 43, I really should not try to beat my 100 m backstroke time that I did at 17. I would just set myself up for disappointment, most likely. If I were to get back into swimming I'd try a different goal...maybe Master's swimming so I'd be competing against other women in my age bracket, or long-distance swimming or get my SCUBA certification.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I thought you were a stripper...I got excited. Carry on.

Tips: Bikram and or Hot yoga to increase flexibility. Static stretching after every workout for 15+ minutes. Pilates at home.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Yoga and Pilates Reformer machine...

• EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I was a dancer growing up (mostly ballet) and switched to ballroom in college. I have not danced much in the past year and have noticed a slight decline in my flexibility. I always make sure to stretch after a workout, and I especially love hot yoga. I feel like I can stretch even further during hot yoga due to my muscles being so warmed up. I try not to over stretch because I know I will be sore for a few days after if I push too far. I've never taken barre class or adult ballet class, but those might be options that interest you.