How to up protein intake without overdoing calories?

Options
I started tracking my macros recently and am realizing that my protein intake is not up to par, even when I am consciously making an effort to eat more protein-rich foods (meats, beans, nuts, dairy, eggs, etc.) How do I up my protein intake without going overboard on calories? Anyone know of some good sources of high protein that's lower calorie?

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Might not be the answer you want, but if I'm low on my protein for a day, I will grab a protein shake.

The one I use is 35g of protein for 150 cals. So only 10 cals doesn't come from the protein itself.

But this is not a daily thing for me, just when I see I'm not going to hit my numbers.

What is your protein goal and how close to you get to it?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

And what is your current weight (to see if your protein goal is realistic)?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    my diary is open if you want to take a peek - I do 130g of protein a day (calorie avg between 2000-2300)...lots of lean meat (chicken, shrimp); greek yogurt; egg whites
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    If you are eating meat choose lean meats: shrimp, tuna, chicken, lean ground/deli turkey, 90% lean ground beef, white fish, etc.

Have a protein bar or protein shake, with not many add ins. Just some almond milk and the scoop of protein.

0% greek yogurt.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Part of my trouble hitting my protein goals is I'm a fussy eater. Hate eggs and any yogurt. Also find most protein bars taste like cardboard. Part of why I have a shake occasionally/
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I supplement with a protein shake every day.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Oh and egg whites. Nothing wrong with the full egg but you can really save calories and get some volume out of egg whites, plus you can break up your macros and add some avocado for the fat that would have been in the egg...or bacon. Or a treat later in the day.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Part of my trouble hitting my protein goals is I'm a fussy eater. Hate eggs and any yogurt. Also find most protein bars taste like cardboard. Part of why I have a shake occasionally/

Your answer makes sense, then.

I do the same thing with V8. I have a hard time getting the amount of veggies I feel like I should have (at least the vitamins associated with them), so I have a low sodium V8 every day. It's the one place where I will drink calories (unless we're having tequila shots). It's just how it is.

I get a lot of my protein from Greek yogurt, which until recently, I hadn't found a type that I like at ALL. I have been having the Yoplait Greek 100 (nonfat) and the Tillamook Farmstyle Greek (2%). Both are very, very good and don't taste too "Greeky" to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I started tracking my macros recently and am realizing that my protein intake is not up to par, even when I am consciously making an effort to eat more protein-rich foods (meats, beans, nuts, dairy, eggs, etc.) How do I up my protein intake without going overboard on calories? Anyone know of some good sources of high protein that's lower calorie?

Your best option for lower calorie sources of protein are going to be lean cuts of fish, poultry, beef, pork, egg whites, etc...low/no fat Greek Yogurt is also a good source...some vegetarian sources would be tofu and seitan.

Beans are a decent source of vegetarian protein but IMO (and I eat a lot of them), they are sub-optimal as a primary source in that the amount you would have to eat to hit higher protein targets would be pretty calorie dense. I primarily view them as a good secondary choice and one of my go-to sources of quality carbohydrates and fiber. Same with nuts...I know they're marketed as this awesome protein source, but they are really a good source of healthy fat. I view most vegetarian sources such as these to be good secondary choices...of course, if you're vegetarian or vegan, you don't have much choice but to make them primary sources...but that is offset by the fact that you're not eating meat.

Also, what are your targets? Have you evaluated whether or not those targets are necessary?

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are pretty much pure protein.
  • dmwh142
    dmwh142 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein makes a shake that has 160 calories and 30 grams protein. That is a great trade but it isn't cheap. Of course all of the lean meats mentioned by bbell1985.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    For 110 calories, I get 26g of protein from my Isopure Whey Isolate...0 carbs, fat, sugar. You can mix it with pretty much anything, from coffee to oatmeal or baked goods...even mashed potatoes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

Chicken breast and some fish are low calorie, and protein powder is even lower, but in order to make room for protein calories you may need to cut carb or fat calories. For me it's easier to cut calories from carbs.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm a fussy eater and still have to hit a protein goal on 1200 calories. I add liquid egg whites to my breakfast smoothie which also has 2 other protein sources, Kefir (milk) and oatmeal. I log the milk in my coffee for a bit more. A scrambled egg with more egg whites is usually lunch, or a salad with grilled chicken. Lentils are a good source of protein along with ground turkey. I made a delicious turkey lentil vegetable stew for dinner.

And lastly, i hit my protein goal last night with a post workout protein drink. One scoop of Robins nutritional drink, chocolate (has fiber and vitamins too), one scoop of chocolate orgain vegetarian protein, and two tablespoons of pbfit powdered peanuts. This gave me over 20 g of protein, not as many calories as robin's alone by using orgain, was a little filling, and satisfied my sweet tooth. I like peanut butter cups.

Nuts themselves have too many calories for me to eat regularly. Lentils are lower calories but higher nutrition then beans, easier to cook too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread (below) - it's gold, for questions like yours. It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods, basically by protein efficiency - most protein for fewest calories. Go through it, and replace some of what you're eating now with higher-protein alternatives you personally find tasty. That way, you can gradually evolve your way of eating to include more protein, but still eat things you enjoy.

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...
  • nicholelwolfe88
    nicholelwolfe88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Might not be the answer you want, but if I'm low on my protein for a day, I will grab a protein shake.

The one I use is 35g of protein for 150 cals. So only 10 cals doesn't come from the protein itself.

But this is not a daily thing for me, just when I see I'm not going to hit my numbers.

My protein goal is 166 grams which is 1g protein per pound of body weight (at the moment). I know that number will continue to change as I progress, but that's where I'm at right now. Yesterday, my protein intake tallied up to 76g with most of that coming from chicken breast, lean ground beef, string cheese, low fat deli ham, and peanut butter. I think if I learn how to substitute some carbs (like whole wheat pasta, rice, and bread) for some protein sources I'd be in good shape as my carb intake was a little higher than my goal. Amazing how carbs add up so quickly!!!! I'm a big pasta and bread lover. I've already tried substituting quinoa for brown rice, and I know zoodles and spaghetti squash are good pasta alternatives. Are there any other substitutes for starchy carbs? And calorie-wise, my goal is to stay between 1800-1900 per day because I do workout for about an hour 3-5 times per week. Plus, I hate feeling hungry and I'm afraid if I start out lower than that right off the bat, I will feel hungry all the time and...yeah, that never works IMO.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    eat less carbs and fat.
    dead animals are an astronomically better source of protein than any fruit or veg or legume.

lean:
    ham
    chicken breast
    turkey breast
    tilapia
    shrimps
    cod
    swai
    93/7 ground beef
    93/7 ground turkey

etc etc etc
  • bbell1985
    Options

My protein goal is 166 grams which is 1g protein per pound of body weight (at the moment). I know that number will continue to change as I progress, but that's where I'm at right now. Yesterday, my protein intake tallied up to 76g with most of that coming from chicken breast, lean ground beef, string cheese, low fat deli ham, and peanut butter. I think if I learn how to substitute some carbs (like whole wheat pasta, rice, and bread) for some protein sources I'd be in good shape as my carb intake was a little higher than my goal. Amazing how carbs add up so quickly!!!! I'm a big pasta and bread lover. I've already tried substituting quinoa for brown rice, and I know zoodles and spaghetti squash are good pasta alternatives. Are there any other substitutes for starchy carbs? And calorie-wise, my goal is to stay between 1800-1900 per day because I do workout for about an hour 3-5 times per week. Plus, I hate feeling hungry and I'm afraid if I start out lower than that right off the bat, I will feel hungry all the time and...yeah, that never works IMO.

You could shoot for more like .8g per pound of body weight first and be fine.

So...tip for weight loss and protein goal in general. Base your meals around your protein first, not your carb. Pick your meat, pick your vegetables..and then double the amount of vegetables you would normally eat :) You can get a ton of volume if you cut out the pasta/grain source completely, though of course you don't HAVE to. If I want to keep a carb source like a rigatoni I make one serving and have it in a salad (literally a whole bag of lettuce), that way I have a nice big meal. The meal is based around the protein and the vegetable.
  • nicholelwolfe88
    nicholelwolfe88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    If you are eating meat choose lean meats: shrimp, tuna, chicken, lean ground/deli turkey, 90% lean ground beef, white fish, etc.

Have a protein bar or protein shake, with not many add ins. Just some almond milk and the scoop of protein.

0% greek yogurt.

Other than Muscle Milk (which is so yummy! but I hear has a lot of additives...???) I haven't found a protein powder that I like on it's own. I'm a fan of making power smoothies (haven't had protein powder to add in yet...any suggestions???) post-workout which consist of berries, banana, spinach, chia seeds, almond or coconut milk (and right now I throw in peanut butter for some protein).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

IMO, 1 gram per Lb of body weight is excessive. More than about 1 gram per Lb of LBM and you're not really getting a whole lot of benefit and just making expensive glucose. I generally shoot for around 0.6 - 0.8 grams per Lb of body weight...I'm usually on the lower end in maintenance and higher end in a cut with 0.8 grams per Lb of body weight being very close to 1 gram per Lb of my LBM...certainly good enough.

This link sums up much of what I think about protein needs. I'm not a strength athlete, so outside of being on a cut, 1 gram per Lb of LBM is still excessive for me...

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

I know super high protein is just all the rage at the moment, but it's not really necessary...and it's really expensive.