Seeing no results

Options
Going on three weeks now. Haven't had sodas, eating much better then before. Good breakfast with eggs and fruit, apple for snack, salad and veggie burger( no bread) with cheese for lunch, fiber bar for snack and dinner with lots of greens as main dish. Walk 2 1/2 to 3 miles 5 days a week. Sounds good, so much better then before. Yes have a few sweets here and there but nothing like before. Question is...why haven't I lost a single pound?? So frustrating

Replies

• ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? Logging is not 100% unless you know specifically what you're logging. For example you may guess you're eating 4ozs of Grilled Pork chop and it actually be 8ozs.

I log everything. I drink only water and try to drink lots! I weigh food, including snacks. I weigh everyday and some days there may be no change and then whoop there it goes! If you're eating a calorie deficit you will lose.

In addition I go to the gym a minimum of 5x a week. It's habit for me now. I have a hard time taking a day off.

You may not have witness a scale change, but have you noticed any other changes? Rings loose? Pants fit better?
  • scubabumm57
    scubabumm57 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am the same, not seeing big results...a pound in over 3 weeks.....I drink mega water....and log everything and don't weigh my food but calculate the size portions using the labels.....I am eating 1100 calories a day sometimes that is hard to do..........with the water that I drink...........I don't do the gym but walk daily! Any suggestions....and also One question............how much fat should I have a day?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    it has only been three weeks..

however, check the following..

are you using correct MFP entries?
    are you using a food scale?
    are you logging every single morsel of food that you eat?
  • ShareeEmma
    ShareeEmma Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I looked at this thread as I can relate... I have been eating 1200 cals a day or less I don't log my workouts... I've lost maybe 3lb since the beginning of January... the only time I notice a big change is when I have up to 30% carbs if I have more than that but still in a calorie deficit I don't see changes... maybe lower your carbs and consentrate on good fats. I've had a bad carb week this week and already I feel more blubbery xxx
  • belleshep417
    belleshep417 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you taken your measurements? The scale isn't always the most accurate from what I've learned.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Are you logging all your food and drink??? If not you won't teuelly know how many calories you are having. Have you put your stats in MFP? That's the place to start. Good luck
  • scubabumm57
    scubabumm57 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Are you logging all your food and drink??? If not you won't teuelly know how many calories you are having. Have you put your stats in MFP? That's the place to start. Good luck
    Ok what is the MFP..............and I think I need to weigh my food.......it has to be the labels...because I log everything.....however could be off....and now I will measure and weigh ....
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Ok what is the MFP..............and I think I need to weigh my food.......it has to be the labels...because I log everything.....however could be off....and now I will measure and weigh ....

MFP=my fitness pal. and weigh all solids and semi solids in grams and all liquids can be measured in cups/spoons. or in ml if you have a scale that has ml on it.\
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    What everyone above said and to encourage you to keep at it! If you aren't logging everything, "just a few extras" can derail progress for a day or week. It appears that our bodies (especially as we get older) have their own idea about how the process will work for each of us! I know its CICO (calories in, calories out) but also check out the group over 50 (or Ladies Who Lunch). Thoughts for those of us who aren't in our 30's that do make sense!
  • merrellmichael03
    Options
    I had this problem for a while. I was working out for about a month, my workout buddy had dropped 12 lbs. and I was stuck at the same weight. What I did was sign up here, and add more cardio to my weekly exercise regimen.
  • ShareeEmma
    ShareeEmma Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ShareeEmma wrote: »
    I looked at this thread as I can relate... I have been eating 1200 cals a day or less I don't log my workouts... I've lost maybe 3lb since the beginning of January... the only time I notice a big change is when I have up to 30% carbs if I have more than that but still in a calorie deficit I don't see changes... maybe lower your carbs and consentrate on good fats. I've had a bad carb week this week and already I feel more blubbery xxx

If you are not losing weight you are not in a calorie deficit; carbs don't have anything to do with it, absent a medical condition and even then it is still all about the deficit.

I noticed that cutting back on carbs saved me lot of calories. I'm just saying that was the change I made and that's what worked for me... everybody's different it's trial and error.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

If you are not losing weight you are not in a calorie deficit; carbs don't have anything to do with it, absent a medical condition and even then it is still all about the deficit.

I noticed that cutting back on carbs saved me lot of calories. I'm just saying that was the change I made and that's what worked for me... everybody's different it's trial and error.

if you cut carbs and didnt replace the calories in those carbs with something else. then you were in a deficit,hence the weight loss.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, especially if you've started a new exercise routine in addition to eating less, consider the possibility that water weight is masking some fat loss.

For women, time of month (anytime from ovulation through menses, for different women) can add several pounds of water weight. Extra sodium or carbs compared to usual (even if it's a healthy amount of sodium or carbs) can add water weight. A new exercise routine can add water weight. Healing from injuries or surgery, or anything else that can cause inflammation, can add water weight. And more.

So, yes - tighten up on logging. Logging is not essential for weight loss, but it's a good starting point if you think you should be losing, but aren't. It'll give you more accurate data to make an assessment.

If improved logging (and a thorough transit of the flowchart above) suggest that you're still not losing when you "should" be, make sure you've been through at least one monthly cycle plus a little before you're certain you're not losing. Patience!

Oh, and - if water weight is a factor, don't reduce your water consumption. In fact, make an effort to make sure you're getting enough (without going crazy or anything). This is an oversimplification, but you can think of drinking enough water as helping your body dilute or wash out the factors that are making it want to hold water weight.

If the problem is water weight, it won't keep increasing and increasing (as long as there's nothing medically wrong, and you'd have other signs of that). Eventually, the water weight will stabilize or drop off, and fat loss will be unmasked & show up on the scale.
  • Doug12016
    Doug12016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's great when you see the scale down a few pounds but 3 weeks is pretty short term. I carried excess weight (about 35 pounds) for many years. It took about a year to whittle it down but I feel so much better, it was well worth it. Wine was one of my culprits, so many worthless calories. I stopped alcohol altogether and my weight melted away.

Good luck on your journey, it is a long term lifestyle commitment that gets results!

Doug
  • dmwh142
    dmwh142 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you quiksylver296 for the flow chart. That should be automatically given as an answer anytime someone post that they can loose weight.