Smart replies for those who insult you, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Options
Briefly, I injured ankle last year, then suffered illness and have put on just over a third of the weight I lost (lack of exercise and comfort eating).
I work voluntary with a morbidly obese lady, who seemed to resent the fact I had some success with weight loss. Was always on at me for being too thin, even though I had about 20pounds more to lose.
Latest remark which has left me seething is "oh you look really great now you've put some weight back on". I didn't say anything at the time but has really touched a sore point as the regained weight is just starting to affect health.
Am back on track now, but know from past experience shes likely to go into sulk again when The extra goes. Any suggestions for getting her to get lost without putting myself in wrong.

Tia

Replies

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options

If you work voluntarily with this person and they are getting to you this much then maybe you need to stop the interaction or start practicing the fake smile along with the fake thanks for your input and let comments such as these not affect you so badly.

Believe me it is quite possible people will come out of the wood work to make a comment on your weight loss - seems to me that you are often open to comments when slimming down.

All the best.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I honestly think the best response is to smile, say nothing and then go about your business of losing the weight you wish to lose and getting fit. Let her comments roll off of you like water off of a duck's back. You will be the better person for it.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Ty all. Lady concerned does have habit of annoying people. Not usually that bothered but she touched a raw nerve.
  • freedom2016mfp
    freedom2016mfp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Agree to disagree given her points of view.....and let's not forget to each there own and perhaps you tell her that.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thank you. She has nearly been kicked out a couple of times before, or gone in a sulk about something threatened to leave and complained that shes being bullied, when she hasn't had a dozen phone calls begging her to stay.
    Luckily the next event is large venue so can hopefully keep out her way as much as possible.