WANTED: homemade chicken salad recipie

Options
acasey0123
acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
I calculated that store bought chicken salad is around 400-500 calories and is mostly mayo and doesnt contain that much chicken and if it does its dark meat. Does anyone have a good homemade chicken salad recipie thats low cal

thanks

Replies

• mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i just do (of course) chicken, celery, onion, sweet relish, mustard, and light mayo (usually just use the one serving for a small batch).
  • cerace
    cerace Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I enjoy, Tyson premium white chicken chunks, shallots, grapes, apples, light mayo, dijon mustard and a little salt and pepper! YUM!
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    i just do (of course) chicken, celery, onion, sweet relish, mustard, and light mayo (usually just use the one serving for a small batch).

I do this without the celery and with dill relish.

Basically I add in all the other ingredients and then 'just enough' mayo (or salad dressing, whatever) to make it 'chicken salad'-esque
  • dcornwe
    dcornwe Posts: 73
    Options
    bump
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    Options
    I enjoy, Tyson premium white chicken chunks, shallots, grapes, apples, light mayo, dijon mustard and a little salt and pepper! YUM!

that sounds tasty! i'll be trying that.. but i don eat mayo at all, so I'll subsitutes a little sour cream or whipped cream cheese...
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I like to make it with a combo of mayo/greek yogurt, curry spice, salt, peppper, celery, dried cranberries and chopped up pecans.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, tomato, onion, celery, avacado, cilantro, and Lemonaise (brand name - it's mayo w/ lemon and herbs already in it).

We use this chicken salad in wrap sandwiches or by itself.

** We also sometimes do this with either half Lemonaise and half sour cream or half Lemonaise and half plain Greek yogurt.
  • caseyj884
    caseyj884 Posts: 2
    Options
    Try adding some chopped apples and a few raisins. Yummy way to get more fruit in your day.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Best stuff I ever had, cut up chicken in cubes, cook in broth, drain, put in food processor, mix with light miracle whip or mayo,cut up celery, salt pepper, and Fresh dill, the dill is what does it Oh man it's sooooo good.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Chicken, onion, celery, grapes (all diced), chopped walnuts, dill, and instead of mayo, plain Greek yogurt.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I like this one alot from Kalyn's Kitchen. It's a chicken salad with green olives. It's really tasty!

www.kalynskitchen.com/2010/12/recipe-for-shredded-chicken-salad-with.html
  • mlek13
    mlek13 Posts: 44
    Options
    bump - yum!
  • MsNiss
    MsNiss Posts: 57
    Options
    I use 1/2 light mayo, 1/2 fat free plain yogurt. Cuts the calories and you don't even notice!

I do the usual - chicken, celery, green onions and sometimes egg whites to stretch it out. Seasoning is always mayo, a tiny bit of mustard, salt, pepper. Simple and delicious!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I like to make it with a combo of mayo/greek yogurt, curry spice, salt, peppper, celery, dried cranberries and chopped up pecans.

Oh, that sounds fabulous! Thanks for posting this.
  • FlipThis112
    FlipThis112 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Use tzatziki sauce instead of mayo. It is much lower in fat, and higher in protein. It is my absolute favorite way to make chicken salad.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I tried so many chx salad recipes over the years and never found one I liked. One day at a baby shower I bit into what I was looking for. I guess what they say about less being more is true. So here is the very simple recipe.

2-3 boiled chix breasts (cooled and shredded or chopped)
    Kraft or Hellman's light mayo (you be the judge of how much)
    finely chopped celery
    some form of nuts (I have used almonds, pecans and sunflower seeds)
    sweet red grapes or a diced apple
    salt and pepper

Mix everything but the fruit really well. Add the fruit last and lightly mix it in. Chill and serve! It is that simple. If I use apples instead of grapes sometimes I add a little bit of curry too and that is really good with the sunflower seeds for some reason!
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    You could also replace the mayo with low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.