Breastfeeding mom of 8 week old

Options
My little girl will be 8 weeks on Friday. I exclusively BF. I sometimes find myself so exhausted I turn to food for energy. I was on WW before my baby, lost 50 pounds but I don't have the time or energy for that program right now. I just want to be healthy but eat enough to maintain my milk supply for my baby! How is everyone else handling it???

Replies

• ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hi mama. I've bf 3 children, currently still bf my 2 year old 2x a day. Honestly, I didn't really focus on losing weight so early on! I spent the first 12 weeks just enjoying my babies and incorporating some daily walks and lifting into our daily routines. I tried to eat healthier, but felt ravenous for the first few months! Once my children began solids, it became easier to set my calories at 1800 and to actually not over eat. It also became easier to exercise more as they got older.
  • JLN85
    JLN85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good for you! When I'm so tired I feel like I can eat all day! I'm trying to make healthier choices, but getting any exercise, even a walk, is hard.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey. Your life is going to get so much easier. Please, just survive for now. You'll find the energy to care again in a few weeks or months and it won't be so hard.

If you decide to count calories, bump up the normal estimates by 500 calories to account for milk production. Personally, I was ravenous with my first. I ate trail mix in the middle of the night while feeding. And know what? After 6 months, all the baby weight was gone.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I was so ravenous the entire time I was breastfeeding (well, up until around 12 months when he FINALLY started eating more solid foods), lol. I didn't lose any weight past my 6 week check up, but I also didn't gain either! My suggestion is to focus on breastfeeding now, no one wants to chance losing their supply. Just try not to stuff your face constantly, lol. Keep an eye on intake.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My body hang onto weight while nursing, and I was never blessed with a baby who slept so I was always exhausted.

I made sure I walked daily for my own mental health. The weight loss had to wait.

You are in the thick of things now. Try to go for a walk and try not to worry about it just yet.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    JLN85 wrote: »
    Good for you! When I'm so tired I feel like I can eat all day! I'm trying to make healthier choices, but getting any exercise, even a walk, is hard.

Be gentle with yourself! Being a mom is hard enough. (((Hugs)))
  • Danielle7535
    Danielle7535 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above. Enjoy your baby. Nourish your body. Don't worry about losing weight so early on. Maybe set small goals like take 6000 steps a day to force yourself to get out of the house. Take your baby on a walk with a stroller or Ergo. My baby is almost one and still breastfeeding like a champ. I didn't even feel like I had the energy to count calories until recently.
  • happydaysmkm
    happydaysmkm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My milk was low and i was tired and A dr friend told me " girl please!!!! You breastfeed! You are literally eating for 2 now . You uave to eat more to make more milk AND have energy" so i listened!!! My milk production double and i started feeling like myself again. My son is 2 and just quit breastfeeding. I just started dieting last month and ive lost almost 10 pounds now. My son was worth waiting for weightloss! Enjoy girl. Love yourself and u wont get this time back but u can always lose weight later. Xoxox
  • morgan_084
    morgan_084 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I felt hungry all the time when I nursed, and honestly unless I was eating a lot of calories my supply would drop. I didn't focus on losing weight for the first 12 months. Once he turned a year I started focusing on cutting calories and losing weight. He only nurses at night now so the demand on me isn't as high. Good luck Momma.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Nursing burns a ton of calories. My midwife said it was something like 500calories a day to produce the milk plus whatever calories the baby drank. I didn't exercise much when mine were born either, just gentle walks. I still steadily lost weight except for last ten pounds which came off when they weaned. I exclusively breastfed until they were 6mos and started solids, then I breastfed as much as they wanted until they weaned...it naturally tapered off on its own. My little sis had twins that she breastfed exclusively and she said when one was done eating, the other one was hungry so she felt she was a milk machine. Lol! Hang in there and focus on bonding with your baby and healing up from the birth. Try and eating healthy nutrient dense foods.

On a side note my first baby had colic and I discovered what I ate affected her. For example a single bite of salsa kicked off three hours of her screaming in agony complete with projectile vomiting. I figured out anything I ate that was acidic caused her colic to act up. So I went on no acid diet....things that are high in acid are numerous! Tomatoes, tea, coffee, OJ, cranberry, milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, citrus fruits anything spicy, sour patch kids, sour gummy worms.etc. I ate a lot of chicken and rice and root veg...for about a year... let me tell you. But it worked and no more colic! Almost overnight! So I only mention this because what we eat can sometimes affect our baby.
  • dearcassandrab
    dearcassandrab Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Have been breastfeeding my 10 month old since she was born last April and have lost 90 lbs so far. The first two months I didn't try. I didn't workout. I took it slow. If I were you I would listen to these other moms and just enjoy baby and find a good rhythm for fitness and eating! Don't cut calories. Just enjoy your baby and sleep when you can!