question to the people on the juice fast

Options
How does getting all of your food in liquid form "reboot" your system? Chewing is the devil now?

Replies

• innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Bahaha! Bump!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Chewing is the devil now?

ROFL! Classic!
  • anberlingasm
    anberlingasm Posts: 177
    Options
    There's actually research to suggest that food in liquid form makes you feel more full, and therefore less likely to snack or overeat. Take it with a pinch of salt but there's some truth in it. It's something to do with the mass of it spreading out and filling your stomach more, so it tells your brain it is satisfied.
  • IferLioy
    IferLioy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I recomend ready a few pages of the critine carr book "crazy, sexy. diet" in order to understand juicing.

I could never do it ( because I too love to chew). But there are a significant amount of benefits :)
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    supply said research :smile:
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Try watching the movie, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". It will answer all your questions and inspire you as well.

For the quick answer from someone who has watched it: The point of drinking juiced fruits and veggies rather than just eating the fruits and veggies is because if you just ate fruits/veggies you'd have to eat all day long basically to get enough. Juicing is a much faster and more convenient way of getting tons of micronutrients into your body and filling you up quick.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    There's actually research to suggest that food in liquid form makes you feel more full, and therefore less likely to snack or overeat. Take it with a pinch of salt but there's some truth in it. It's something to do with the mass of it spreading out and filling your stomach more, so it tells your brain it is satisfied.

I'm sure there may be, but this can't always be a one size fits all. I tried different juicing/cleansing...whatever you will call them and I binged on every day I tried it.
  • Kristhin
    Options
    It isn't the fact that its in juice form that reboots your system. Its the foods you're putting into the juice form that reboot your system. Getting away from unhealthy foods and processed and/or refined foods.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    It isn't the fact that its in juice form that reboots your system. Its the foots you're putting into the juice form that reboot your system. Getting away from unhealthy foots and processed and/or refined foods.

You can do this simply by eating whole and healthy foods. And though I don't have any research to cite, personally, when I drink calories, I tend to consume a lot more of them. Apples vs. apple juice for example.
  • Kristhin
    Options
    Like I said, you would have to read about it or watch the documentaries yourself to understand what you are talking about.

Juice fasting isn't a way of life. Its a temporary cleansing/jumpstart to weight loss and healthy eating.

Its basically a raw vegan diet in a more convenient juice and go fashion. High in micronutrients, void of macronutrients.

You don't need to tell me you can just eat whole foods instead. I don't care what you do. You're the one who asked about it.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    Try watching the movie, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". It will answer all your questions and inspire you as well.

For the quick answer from someone who has watched it: The point of drinking juiced fruits and veggies rather than just eating the fruits and veggies is because if you just ate fruits/veggies you'd have to eat all day long basically to get enough. Juicing is a much faster and more convenient way of getting tons of micronutrients into your body and filling you up quick.

Uh yeah, of course it's easier to drink the veggies....because they lose a lot of the fiber content when you juice them. That's one of the main positive things about vegetables in the first place and then you just get rid of most of it when you throw away everything but the liquid.
  • Kristhin
    Options
    You don't throw any of it away...it all gets processed and liquified.
  • Kristhin
    Options
    If it was just processed strained juice like you buy in the grocery store you wouldn't have 430lb. men saying a glass of it fills them up.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

You're referring to volumetrics and it has nothing to do with liquid vs solid. It has to do with literal volume of the stomach and filling the space up. This is why a lot of people who have weight issues are told to drink a large glass of water before eating. It's why a lot of people are told to eat cruciferous vegetables like celery before big meals. Anything that fills the volume in your stomach can accomplish this. On top of that, eating fiber helps maintain fullness. Juicing gets rid of that part at the very least.

And finally, there is a lot more to your brain feeling satisfied than volume. Hormones control that part of it and this all comes back the hypothalmus (part of the brain that regulates hunger and thirst) which will release the necessary hormones so you know when to eat/drink.

This "liquid makes you eat less during the day" thing sounds like a bit of pseudo-science.
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    You don't throw any of it away...it all gets processed and liquified.

What specific juicer are you talking about? Every juicer I've ever seen in the store has a little compartment where the veggies (let's say carrots for example) shred into before the juice comes out into the container. This little compartment is then emptied out after you finish juicing.

Are you talking about a blender diet or a juicer diet because those are pretty different.......
  • Kristhin
    Options
    Well I use a blender right now when I do liquids because I haven't gotten a juicer yet.
    The only things that should have any leftover in a juicer would be tough vegetables like celery. The bulk of it should be leafy green vegetables which break down very easily.
    Granted, if you use a juicer some of the insoluable fiber if you use certain things in it will be left over.
    The juice still has tons of fiber in it though, much more than the recommended fiber intake.
    In fact, most of the time I'm on a somewhat junkyfoody vegan diet and even without trying and with eating processed foods I still get pretty high over the recommended daily amount of fiber--thats just what typically happens when you cut out certain things.
    So when you're juicing, whether you use a juicer, a Vitamix, or whatever else, there's no question; you're getting tons of fiber which expands in the stomach and makes you feel full.
  • Kristhin
    Options
    Plus removing some of the insoluable fiber in the really tough to digest foods helps your body extract more nutrients and enzymes from those foods that you wouldn't normally get.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    The current FDA fiber recommendation is a joke honestly. And insoluble fiber actually grows in your GI tract which allows you to have more satiety.
  • Kristhin
    Options
    All fiber makes you feel full, not just insoluable fiber. Like I said, if that were the case, 430 lb. men wouldn't be saying 1 glass fills them up. If you don't believe me, try looking into it for yourself.

I would say most things the FDA come up with are a joke. Can't argue with you there.