Having a hard time eating all my calories :(

Options
I'm having a hard time eating all my calories before you guys start thinking I have some sort of eating disorder, I just don't have the time to eat 5 times a day. And get them all in. I don't I have my meals and snacks planned out a day ahead so I know what I need to cook etc. But at the end of the night I realistically haven't eaten everything I put in my log. I mean, I'm not hungry or anything except for maybe carbs but I don't cheat on non cheat days. How do you guys do it?! I know I'm not doing myself any favors by lying about calories consumed, I'm not a big eater to begin with, like I eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full kind of thing. And I'm just not hungry 5 times a day either. I feel like I'm force feeding myself and I don't like the way that feels. Any suggestions?

Replies

• SR1986
    SR1986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I DO HAVE MY MEALS PLANNED OUT A DAY AHEAD SORRY!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Increase fats. That's the easiest way to increase calories without much bulk.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat five times a day, you don't have to. Weight loss goes by your total caloric intake not how the calories were divided up over the course of the day. I'm down over 125 lbs and I usually only eat two meals a day. Eat when you're hungry in how ever many meals you want.
  • SR1986
    Options
    If you can't eat five times a day, you don't have to. Weight loss goes by your total caloric intake not how the calories were divided up over the course of the day. I'm down over 125 lbs and I usually only eat two meals a day. Eat when you're hungry in how ever many meals you want.

Thanks! I really needed to hear that. I don't really need to lose weight. I'm 10 over what I normally weigh but I am trying to make sure I get enough nutrition in me to make up for my workouts trying to get back in shape.
  • creatureofchaos
    creatureofchaos Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - if you're eating a lot of protein it can be really hard to get enough calories in. I have a rule that if I'm under 1000, I make myself a protein shake with 8 oz of nondairy milk, a scoop of chocolate optimum powder, and a scoop of click protein. It's good, healthy calories but doesn't feel icky and heavy like eating food can, and it takes all of 45 seconds to make with a shaker cup.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I'm a toast addict. If I have the spare calories for it, I'll have a few slices of toast. Or some untoasted bread if I've baked any in the past couple of days, because home-baked bread doesn't need to be toasted to be extra yummy.
  • SR1986
    Options
    You mean I can has breads?! More than 1 slice? OMG.
  • SR1986
    Options
    Chia. I could add more Chia to my post workout drink. I do drink that every day. And the Chia jelly like Ness doesn't bother me. I already add 2 tablespoons. But I could always eat bread. And peanuts or peanut butter. Peanuts and baked goods are my Kryptonite :/
  • SR1986
    Options
    I mean I just get tired of cooking eggs and chicken. Eggs and chicken. Cut up the veggies blah.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    SR1986 wrote: »

You can eat whatever you want as long as you fit it in your calorie goal. Focus on mainly nutrient rich foods, and somewhat higher protein is good, but there is no reason to not have bread, ice cream or whatever else as long as you fit it in your calories. By far the most important thing is making sure you measure your portions correctly, and use the correct database entries here. Ideally a digital scale for all solids including those that are grated and ground (think grated cheese), and a liquid measuring cup or spoon for all liquids. Other than that, enjoy within your calories.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time eating all my calories before you guys start thinking I have some sort of eating disorder, I just don't have the time to eat 5 times a day. And get them all in. I don't I have my meals and snacks planned out a day ahead so I know what I need to cook etc. But at the end of the night I realistically haven't eaten everything I put in my log. I mean, I'm not hungry or anything except for maybe carbs but I don't cheat on non cheat days. How do you guys do it?! I know I'm not doing myself any favors by lying about calories consumed, I'm not a big eater to begin with, like I eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full kind of thing. And I'm just not hungry 5 times a day either. I feel like I'm force feeding myself and I don't like the way that feels. Any suggestions?

There's not enough information here to go on. What are your numbers like? How many calories did the MFP App suggest you should aim for? What is your height and weight now?

Not sure where you got the idea you have to eat 5 times a day. A normal day is Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner; or Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper. Additional snacks are optional, but the main issue is ensuring the correct balance between your Calories In and Calories Out, in order to have a Calorie Deficit at the end of each day.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

We're not about counting carbs here. We're about calories in, calories out. While it's important to make sure you get good nutrition, if you make it too hard on yourself by cutting out foods you love, you're more likely to fail in the long run. Make it easy on yourself instead. Eat what you enjoy. Just not so much of it.
  • aliyou1
    aliyou1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My go to fillers are hemp hearts or goji berries. 1oz of hemp hearts is 140 calories and has 8 g of protein. 1oz of dried goji berries are 100 calories and pack a host of vitamins. They actually taste like raisins
  • SR1986
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

There's not enough information here to go on. What are your numbers like? How many calories did the MFP App suggest you should aim for? What is your height and weight now?

Not sure where you got the idea you have to eat 5 times a day. A normal day is Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner; or Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper. Additional snacks are optional, but the main issue is ensuring the correct balance between your Calories In and Calories Out, in order to have a Calorie Deficit at the end of each day.

The app suggests 1200 after working out its usually about 1500-1600 a day I try to eat. My "normal" walk around weight is between 108-111. I'm 5'3" and right now I'm 118.6. I took a couple years and just ate. Not over ate, just ate freely. I didn't work out and I got up to 120. Long story short my pants don't fit and I can't afford new ones and my sweats are getting holes lol. My percentages at the end of the day are mostly protein and fat (fat from peanut butter and peanuts I'm seriously addicted) my carbs are usually low, but carbohydrates tend to have a lot of calories so I try to make sure I get an equal balance. But I don't feel hungry after eating chicken, brown rice and broccoli and a side salad so I just leave it. Maybe I'm just dumb. I thought like lots of people here ate breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper. To keep metabolism running all day. I dunno. I know I don't need to lose weight before someone says something. I'd just like to be able to button my jeans again. Lol.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I thought like lots of people here ate breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper. To keep metabolism running all day. I dunno. I know I don't need to lose weight before someone says something. I'd just like to be able to button my jeans again. Lol.

Nope. The frequency of your meals has no effect on metabolism. You can eat all your calories in just one meal a day if you wanted to.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »

We're not about counting carbs here. We're about calories in, calories out. While it's important to make sure you get good nutrition, if you make it too hard on yourself by cutting out foods you love, you're more likely to fail in the long run. Make it easy on yourself instead. Eat what you enjoy. Just not so much of it.

Heck ya, I was low on cals today so i just had a serving of frozen strawberry yogurt with mini chocolate chips!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Today has been a weird day for me and I am well under goal. I am thinking peanut butter and jam toast and some ice cream before bed. I'm not worried about doing that either.

The reality is that you can eat how you are comfortable, same foods, same times of the day. Just control for calories. You are frustrated because you are trying to change the things you are comfortable with. It's really not necessary. Every time I tried putting unnecessary expectations on myself, I failed. And then just felt bad.

You can do it! Just consider altering your approach a bit.