Pizza!

Options
I know there was a thread in another forum about healthy pizza alternatives - but how bad is the real thing? I looked it up in the food database and a generic slice of pizza is around 200 - 300 calories. I looooove pizza. As long as I plan for it, it's not that bad- right?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calorie goal, go for it. Really I always think it's odd how demonised pizza gets. It's bread, veggies, meat and cheese. Sure, it can be high in fat and high calorie depending how its made but for some reason reasonably innocuous ingredients become evil when they're round in shape and put in a flat box.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I love pizza, and it's not unusual for me to have it once a week. Thin crust with ham and pineapple is my favorite and not difficult to fit into my goal at all! But the sodium is a different story :tongue: I'm always puffed up the next day. Still worth it! No cauliflower crust for me.
  • rimab8828
    rimab8828 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love pizza too :) as long as it has a variety of vegetables on top. I still think its calory count is too much for a single slice ! After all, I rarely have only one :) and I prefer focusing more on satiety. it just makes hungry too soon afterwards....So sometimes i also prepare a bowl of salad which makes it more satisfying with a big slice of pizza. I am following a 1000 calory diet for this month, so I try to stick with more fulfilling options :) ... Or it would take me more exercise to make up for the excess in my daily calory ....
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I ate a Grand Mac and medium fries today for 1200 calories for dinner, for breakfast all i had was a yogurt. Not an ideal day but i work graveyard and had a bunch of errands and sleep to get today and woke up late and missed dinner at home. so it put me at 1400 calories and i called it a day. It fit in my goals so i ate it.
  • Giuliaborg
    Giuliaborg Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree! I love pizza too and try to make space for it once a week. I think that an entire round normal margherita pizza (tomato and mozzarella only) is around 800 calorie. I don't mean the big version to share, but the traditional one with the dimension of a big dish.
    The only thing is that following a 1300 calories diet I cannot eat much during the rest of the day... but it is worthed, and we can always go running to burn it in advance :-)
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Just be sensible about portion and toppings. I tend to stick to bacon and pineapple or chicken and spinach on Domino's pizza --they have a surprisingly useful calorie and nutritional calculator on the website. Dr. Oetker's line of thin crust pizzas are my go to for frozen pizzas...a decent serving for about 250-300 calories.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza pretty much once a week with my family. I'm in maintenance now but I also did when I was losing. Sometimes we order delivery from a chain, sometimes we make pizzas at home, and sometimes we go to a local restaurant and eat it there. I usually have salad and a couple of slices or a small individual pizza at a loca place. Fits well in my goals and I have no idea why pizza gets such a bad rap. It's carbs, fat, and maybe protein - depending on your toppings it might even have micronutrients from veggies. It's like a macro dream in a slice!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    rimab8828 wrote: »
    I love pizza too :) as long as it has a variety of vegetables on top. I still think its calory count is too much for a single slice ! After all, I rarely have only one :) and I prefer focusing more on satiety. it just makes hungry too soon afterwards....So sometimes i also prepare a bowl of salad which makes it more satisfying with a big slice of pizza. I am following a 1000 calory diet for this month, so I try to stick with more fulfilling options :) ... Or it would take me more exercise to make up for the excess in my daily calory ....

Why such low calories?
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    This. Before I knew, I used to never eat pizza unless it was a cheat meal. When I found out how easy it was to work in, I began having it about once a week, I love it!! I'm having it tonight in fact.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I make my own Neapolitan pizza, and control the size of the dough ball. My dinner today will be a whole small pizza with meatballs, onions, and bell peppers for 508 calories. That's a delightful thing for me, as I make a batch of dough and have 6 balls from each batch. It fails to provide a good protein portion, so I have to get protein from other meals.
  • artanis50
    artanis50 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    YAY! Pizza lovers unite! LOL
    Thanks for confirming what I already thought was "ok". I'll just manage my day to make the pizza for dinner work. Plus I plan on going for a bike ride tonight so that should help burn off any extra calories I may take in.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It's not "bad". It has calories. You need to eat less calories to lose weight. If it's worth it to you, eat it.

I live in NYC and I'm not getting any 200-300 calorie pizza slices up in here. I have to be ready to log 400-600 for a slice so I think twice or trice before I eat it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My wife is allergic to wheat so it doesn't make sense to order two pizzas. We either get a dominos gluten free extravaganza or a crust to make our own. If I limit it to 2 slices it does not put weight on. I don't log anymore so I don't know if gluten free is less calories but it works for me.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    My wife is allergic to wheat so it doesn't make sense to order two pizzas. We either get a dominos gluten free extravaganza or a crust to make our own. If I limit it to 2 slices it does not put weight on. I don't log anymore so I don't know if gluten free is less calories but it works for me.

It almost never is
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I love pizza, and will never give it up. It doesn't have enough protein for me so I generally have a protein shake before eating it for a meal, and it also helps me eat less because otherwise I could probably eat a whole pizza myself lol!
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Pizza is our Friday night staple! Can't live without it, and we're in Chicago so it's the real deal!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    eat a reasonable amount, where reasonable is determined by your calorie needs.

artanis50 wrote: »
    I know there was a thread in another forum about healthy pizza alternatives - but how bad is the real thing? I looked it up in the food database and a generic slice of pizza is around 200 - 300 calories. I looooove pizza. As long as I plan for it, it's not that bad- right?

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Dominos gluten free crust is less calories than their hand tossed. The thin crust is lowish calories, but not available as a small. (Gluten free is only available small.)
    rsclause wrote: »

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with pizza. The only important thing is how many calories you are eating, not what you are eating, if you are focusing on weight loss only. If you want to focus on health, even then, pizza isn't that bad; it's not the ideal food, but it is definitely not horrific.