Reaching the lowest weight you've ever been - Question for those who are thin for the first time

Options
thecubanskiier
thecubanskiier Posts: 9 Member
edited February 2017 in Success Stories
Hi Everyone!

I wanted to ask the community at large a question about going below the lowest weight you've ever been. I've been overweight my entire adult life, basically since childhood. I've fluctuated between being "overweight" (at 160) and just being on the heavier side of normal for my height (140 - which looks pretty heavy on me), but I've never actually managed to be THIN. Now, I'm aiming for a UGW of 125, which seems somewhat daunting and impossible. Right now, my life is more stable than it's ever been, I love my job and my relationships and my housing situation, so I've never been better situated to tackle this lofty goal, but I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around that number, having always thought of myself as "big boned" and "hefty". Sometimes I wonder if my body can even GET to 125, having been at least 15 pounds above that basically forever.

So tell me, have any of you out there lost weight to the point that you were the lowest you've ever been? What did you do to break through that "set point"? I'm especially asking ladies in their late 20's/early 30's.

Also, feel free to add me! I'm always looking for more friends. :)

Replies

• bnovak226
    bnovak226 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    We're in a similar situation:
    I'm 5'3 SW was 172 (after my second baby) most of my life I have been in the 150's as long as I can remember. Before the holidays I hit my lowest ever 142!!! I have put back on 3lb
  • thecubanskiier
    thecubanskiier Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses, you're all totally awesome! Obviously, I believe I can do it (It's all CICO, amiright?) but I have this sinking feeling that weight loss is going to get SO much harder now that I'm pushing past my body's "set point". :P No more lazy half-assing things.....
  • tracypreiss
    tracypreiss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I was at my lowest years ago it was very hard to maintain so now I am getting to a weight that I feel comfortable and can maintain long term. I believe we all have that ideal weight that our bodies feel and look good at. Doesn't matter about charts etc.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm at around the lowest I've been since I was 19/20.

I definitely want to lose more (I still weigh 193) but even in high school when I was very active and very strong I was 175... so I am definitely starting to get apprehensive about being able to push lower than that point... I have a "goal weight" but I think I'm going to aim for more of a size and body comfort... I don't want to push myself too low and have it be unsustainable. I'd honestly rather weigh more and be stronger like I was in high school... so we will see how it goes in the next couple of months.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses, you're all totally awesome! Obviously, I believe I can do it (It's all CICO, amiright?) but I have this sinking feeling that weight loss is going to get SO much harder now that I'm pushing past my body's "set point". :P No more lazy half-assing things.....

I think you just need to evaluate as you go along and take into account BF%, muscle mass, etc...not just weight.

My lowest adult weight was 140 Lbs and I was stick thin. I ultimately got to 220 Lbs at my highest weight. When I started losing I figured 155-160 would probably be good as I remember being in that range when I was in my 20s and being pretty happy with it.

Turns out that while I was getting fat, I was also putting on some muscle mass. As I cut, I pretty soon realized that 155-160 wasn't really realistic without burning muscle mass in addition to fat.

<<<180ish in that pic and around 12% BF...I could go lower, but that's a pretty comfortable place to be. I've gotten down to 175 and I was very lean and it was difficult to maintain that level of leanness...much below that and I'm looking at sub 8% and at 42, maintaining that would be a ridiculous amount of work and a nazi diet, so it isn't happening. And like I said...155-160 I would have to burn up quite a bit of muscle mass...and I'm not huge by any standard.
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am currently the lightest I have been for 9 years at 153lbs - I am finally back to my pre 1st baby weight (I was 22 at the time!). Part of me thought I'd never do it, part of me still isn't totally sure how maintainable it is...but I'm here and actually, having found a way of eating that works for me, it hasn't been too difficult. Who knew?!

My initial GW was 156, UGW for now is 150, I'm 5'10" ish and broad, and I'll see how I feel when I get there. I need to work on adding some muscle and losing some flab, but that will be a longer term plan.

The key for me was working out the best foods to eat to keep me feeling full, while staying within my calorie range. I set my initial goal weight thinking I'd never do better, that I was just made to be in the 11stone bracket. The big game changer was reaching that goal without fighting myself and feeling like I was permanently on a diet. Now I try not to get too tied up with what the scale says, if it goes up by an lb here or there, I trust the process and keep going.

Best of luck to you
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Six years ago I was 224, having been between 190+ for most of my adult life. My goal was 180. Didn't really think I would hit it. Changed my eating drastically, but didn't count calories. Just started eating things that were actively good for me all the time, but things I also liked. Dropped to 195 in about 9 months. Hung out there for a while, then reduced intake a little, and dropped to 180. Hung out there for a while then found mfp and dropped to 160. Been between 160-170 for a couple of years. BMI normal for me would be 153, but I am a power lifter and haven't focused on dropping to that weight. Maybe this coming year. I exercised the whole time, but have been lifting heavy for only about 4 years, an about to do my third pl meet. When I was stable weight, I was practicing maintenance. I stopped losing weight when CICO met each other...that is, my intake was going down as my body weight decreased. That is important to remember...you can not go back to eating like you did at a much heavier wright. You can do it!
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am quite a bit older than your target age group, I am 62. However, I am at my lowest adult weight. From 201 to 117. I am 5'4". I think I weighed this in about 7th grade. So far not been difficult to maintain. Just goes to show that you're never too old.
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11, 29, and all through high school and college my real lowest weight was about 240. I've pretty much never been a normal weight other than maybe when I was a small child. After gaining all the way up to 320, I got back down to that range and I broke through it the same way I do with any "plateau", by tightening up my logging and trying to cut an extra 100-200 calories per day if the tightening logging doesn't work. I'm currently down to 210 and still have to get to 179 before I'm at a "normal" weight. I've pretty much never been a normal weight other than maybe when I was a small child.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    34, Female, 5'4, and morbidly obese since childhood. Matter of fact I believe when I looked up my BMI for the first time it was off the charts into super morbidly obese range. I started on mfp 3 years ago weighing 268lbs and hit my goal weight about 8 months ago and have been maintaining ever since. Well actually losing very slowly still trying to get my maintenance calories right, currently 125lbs. Definitely the lowest weight I have ever been in my adult life.

I never hit any plateaus or set points along the way, but I also was very accurate with my intake and logging. I would suggest you use a TDEE calculator to get an idea how many calories you would need to maintain at your goal weight of 15lbs less and see if that is a number you are willing to live with. I currently am still losing at 1700 cals per day after losing 143lbs. I'm not willing to eat any less so for me this is the lowest weight I will go. Hope that helps!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!