Wisconsin will jail you if you sell Kerrygold butter.

Options

Replies

• Lou_trition
    Lou_trition Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Omg, Im Irish but live in the UK and pay way over the odds for Kerrygold- its the only butter I use! I hope they sort this out for the fitties in Wisconsin!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Come across the border to IL, it's easily available here! ;-)

That said, I'd just as soon buy local butter from the green market as Kerrygold, and imagine there's lots of options for that in WI, so I doubt the butter snobs are that badly off up there.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    We take our dairy seriously here. This does have more than a whiff of protectionism, though.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Grass fed or not, I use butter from a Texas herd, Falfurrias brand.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Wow...well I kind of don't blame them....
    Don't stone me, but I don't like KerryGold for baking. It adds such a beautiful color, but it added a rancid taste to everything I made with it. I might've gotten a bad or old batch (it is imported from across the damned ocean), but it's not worth the ri$k to try it again.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    How odd. If there are regulations and you have to get the product approved before sale, can't they just do that?

Having said that, I would just try and source a local butter, as I don't much like buying dairy products that have been imported significant distances because of food miles (the impact is always worst for perishables). I'm fond of the taste of Anchor butter (imported from New Zealand to the UK) but I rarely buy it because I don't see the sense in importing something like that when there are good local options.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    jbirdgreen wrote: »
    Wow...well I kind of don't blame them....
    Don't stone me, but I don't like KerryGold for baking. It adds such a beautiful color, but it added a rancid taste to everything I made with it. I might've gotten a bad or old batch (it is imported from across the damned ocean), but it's not worth the ri$k to try it again.
    Try freezing it next time. Cut it up into smaller portions, wrap it tightly and freeze it. Take it out as you need it.