Do you exercise in the morning or at night?

Options

Replies

• Desertcolt07
    Desertcolt07 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    im not a morning person, barely out of bed before 8:30...so i try and get my cardio in on my lunch break and hit the weights at about 8pm
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I take a conditioning class at 6:10 am, and I try to be there when the gym opens at 6 so I can walk a few laps before class. I paid money for the class and put it on my schedule, and there's no way that time will conflict with anything else other than my desire for sleep, so I know I'll haul my butt out of bed and do it.

I also run, either first thing in the morning or immediately after work, depending on the season. In the summer I'm out by dawn, because it will be far too hot to run if I wait any later. In the winter, I wait until later when it's warmer.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Mornings!

I set my kids up with breakfast and a TV show and get after it. I have too many excuses later in the day. And if I eat too much I feel blah when I exercise.

Occasionally I have to run in the evenings if the weather and my husband's work schedule doesn't pan out and I hate it. I'm much slower and much more uncomfortable.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Evening right after work, or sometimes a bit later at night.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I workout 4:00pm to 6:00pm. After the gym, I am ravenous and ready to eat dinner. A good workout helps me sleep. Im exausted in a good way.
  • gabbiil
    gabbiil Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Morning, woking out before going to work gives me way more energy for the day I've found! Plus after working 10+ hours a day I don't really feel like going to the gym. I take my dog for a walk in the evenings though.
  • NerdyWord33
    NerdyWord33 Posts: 52 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Morning. I have a toddler and use the gym's childcare area, which closes at noon.
    Plus, it gives me a swift kick to get my day started.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    These days I fit it in whenever and wherever I can...
  • UltimateTrashBae
    UltimateTrashBae Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I only work out twice a week. I do it after work but before school. Pretty much at 5p. School is the only place I have access to a free gym, haha.
  • bliu108
    bliu108 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to only workout after work for YEARS. It was only a year and a half ago I transitioned into becoming a morning person, which I never thought I could do. But all it took was some commitment and self-motivation, and after a few weeks, my body got used to waking up by 6:30, so that I could get in a 45-min to 1-hour session before having to get ready for work. Now I absolutely love working out in the morning, my body just wakes up early naturally now, even on weekends, I feel much better throughout the day, and my evenings are free instead of having to go to the gym!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Early morning workout here. If I don't get up and get it done it will never happen later. I also prefer drinking beer or wine after work. I haven't used an alarm clock in years.
  • cs4156
    cs4156 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am a early morning person! I am EXHAUSTED after work, my job is draining most days. Getting my workout in first makes the day go better and I will not have to blow it off in the evenings. I get to bed early to wake up early.
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been doing both (2 workouts/day) to try to reach a short term fitness goal. But in general I'm a 5 AM workout person. Those days when I get up at 5 and don't want to exercise I just tell myself that the hardest part of the morning workout is the first step out of bed. Once I'm up and put on my workout clothes the rest is easy.
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the morning. I find by the time I get home I have no interest to do it...
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    During the week, Monday - Thursday usually both morning and evening (light/moderate exercise, not intense). Over the weekend my workout times varies.

I started off working out first thing in the morning because I would find excuses or something would come up and I couldn't workout after work.

So I trained myself to plan out my workout and lay out my clothes the night before and workout soon as I get up. It eventually became a habit and now I truly enjoy my early morning workouts. They give me energy and just helps me to start the day right.

I workout in evening because I really enjoy and look forward to my outdoor powerwalks when the weather is decent. However, my indoor evening workouts are light because I don't want to get too much energy and not be able to rest properly.

This routine works really great for me.
  • dbrose40
    dbrose40 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    5:30 AM every morning. The gym is too busy otherwise
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I usually hit the gym (or tennis court) in the morning right after I take the kids to school. Late afternoons and early evenings are generally occupied by the kids' activities, classes, and sports practices...although sometimes I'll work out at home at the end of the day.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    4am M-F for me ....I home school my daughter so I like to get it done before we start school ....weekends I wake up around 7am and go for a run while she is asleep
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I teach and am up most days by 6am...getting up earlier would be torture, so if I have time at work I will use the indoor track or pool for cardio. If I workout after work it is a long walk with the dog or yoga.
    Am thinking to start reincorporating lifting and will check out the school's weight room next week....so I guess like many people here, I fit it in when I can.
  • SR1986
    SR1986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    After noon when all my housework is done or evening if I had a particularly long to do list that day. I get my kiddo fed drink my pre workout and go. I'm not a morning person. I dress my child for school half asleep. I'm a night owl. If I'm in bed before 1 am even if I have to get up early I'm sick or its a miracle. I take valerian root so I don't have a hard time sleeping on cardio heavy days. I don't get morning people. I'm like an angry bear in the mornings.