Soduim Intake

Options
I seem to be blowing my daily sodium recommended intake by quite a bit every day. Some days I double it.

I know that one of the major concerns with sodium is high blood pressure which even at 275 Lbs is usually
110-120 over 60-65. So my blood pressure isn't an issue.

Two Questions:

1. Being this high on sodium, should I be looking out for any other health issues?
2. Are there any prepared foods out there that are lower in sodium? (I know fresh is a better way to go but some days I just don't have enough time in the day to prepare a good meal from fresh)

PS - MFP is the only reason recognized my sodium intake is so high. Way to go MFP!
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Replies

• pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    If you allow us to see your food diary, it would be easier to offer suggestions. If you want to make it friends only, add me as a friend, and I'll take an objective look at it for you.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I agree with pnieuw.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Sodium is tough - it's in almost everything! I personally feel that I lose weight faster when I keep my sodium below the allowance. Too much sodium will cause you to retain fluid - which shows up on the scale as weight.

There's lot of opinions on the damage too much sodium can cause - even if you have normal blood pressure - too much sodium can be hard on the kidneys, because they have to work so much harder at filtering all that excess fluid.

I have a personal interest in keeping my sodium as low as possible and for losing weight. My Dad died from kidney failure. He was a life long diabetic and suffered thru 3 years of dialysis treatments. So that's a road I definitely do not want to travel.

Wishing you luck in your journey!
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My food diary is public now.... as for the problem I know it's pre-packaged foods. I'm hoping people have suggestions for brands of pre-prepared foods that aren't as harsh on sodium levels.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You aren't doing too bad. Sodium will cause water retention and skew your numbers on the scale. If you have to eat processed foods, then look for those labeled "low sodium". I traded my regular peanut butter for a natural version and saved 70 mg of sodium.

Also, another tip is potassium. Potassium and sodium cancel each other out so if you can consume equal amounts of potassium and sodium then you can avoid water retention.

Other brands that are low sodium... I eat a lot of Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine. Also, fill up your snacks with fresh fruit and veggies. That helps too.
  • janel814
    janel814 Posts: 88
    Options
    I don't know any health issue but higher sodium diets can make you retain weight and water. Good Luck, it will be interesting the answers you get.
  • brucedelaney
    Options
    Also, another tip is potassium. Potassium and sodium cancel each other out so if you can consume equal amounts of potassium and sodium then you can avoid water retention.

Really? So a Baked Potatoe or Sweet Potato or Banana will actually psudo cancel out my overage in sodium?
  • triciap79
    triciap79 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to the Top 12 Healthy Frozen Dinners from Web MD. It lists the Calories , Fat, Sodium, protien and fiber for each one. I personally enjoy any of the Healthy Choice Dinners. Hope this helps. :o)

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/top-12-healthy-frozen-dinners
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to say - check the labels on the groceries you buy - sometimes the same product will be lower in sodium - depending on the brand you buy. Even innocent looking items like frozen chicken breasts are injected with a sodium solution.

And if you can choose frozen veggies instead of canned ones, you reduce the amount of sodium you're taking in.

I see from your diary that you like mac & cheese - have you thought of making it homemade - that way you can control some of the sodium. You still have to boil the pasta, but add lo-fat milk and some low sodium velvetta cheese - just as good as the blue box!!
  • brucedelaney
    Options
    And if you can choose frozen veggies instead of canned ones, you reduce the amount of sodium you're taking in.

I see from your diary that you like mac & cheese - have you thought of making it homemade - that way you can control some of the sodium. You still have to boil the pasta, but add lo-fat milk and some low sodium velvetta cheese - just as good as the blue box!!

Yes I have noticed that on frozen instead of canned you will get lower sodium. I go with the canned because of personal taste. (Guess I'll have to try out some diff brands of frozen Vegs)

As for the mac & cheese it's because it's available in a cup that takes only 3 minutes to make in the microwave. I do have a kill mac and cheese recipe that I can adjust I guess. (Again, I guess I'll need to make some changes for my own good)
  • hydrosmak
    hydrosmak Posts: 16
    Options
    Incorporate more fruit in your diet will help replace things that have sodium. Also think about protein shakes to increase protein intake but also replacing something in your diet that is high in sodium.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options

Yes I have noticed that on frozen instead of canned you will get lower sodium. I go with the canned because of personal taste. (Guess I'll have to try out some diff brands of frozen Vegs)

As for the mac & cheese it's because it's available in a cup that takes only 3 minutes to make in the microwave. I do have a kill mac and cheese recipe that I can adjust I guess. (Again, I guess I'll need to make some changes for my own good)

You're doing great - just by wanting to lose weight and be healthier. A person can't overhaul their entire way of living & eating overnight - just make little changes here & there and you'll see results!!

Speaking of trying different brands - I live in a rural area, but I love the opportunity to shop the "Super Store" type Grocery stores - so many more choices and options. I think we all tend to get in a "rut" with our eating habits. Same brands, same meals, etc... I know I've recently gone out of my "comfort zone" and tried new fruits & veggies, like mango, passionfruit, avacado, eggplant, artichoke, etc... (remember - I said I live in a rural area - we don't get these things often at the local grocery) So thank goodness for the Super Store - LOL

Also, summertime is great for shopping at Farmers Markets - fresh fruits & veggies are so much healthier!

Good Luck!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Really? So a Baked Potatoe or Sweet Potato or Banana will actually psudo cancel out my overage in sodium?

Sort of. I track sodium and potassium in my diary and just try to keep them equal. It just depends. I eat a lot of bananas and watermelons to even mine out. Beans and tomatoes are a good source of potassium too.