New to Keto, Source of Fiber and Protein

Options
I am in my first week of keto and finding it hard to get in enough protein and hardly any fiber. Any recommendations to incorporate more protein and fiber?

Replies

• EggsNSteaks
    EggsNSteaks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi.

This is weird, because it is actually way harder (for me) to get enough fat than protein.
    But basically, you can eat more eggs, meats and turkey/chiken if your protein isn't high enough.
    About fibers, try to eat more green vegetables (that are keto friendly) such as spinach or asparagus.

Welcome to Keto and good luck !
  • mmohr50
    mmohr50 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in my first week of keto as well! For protein I tend to eat about 8oz some lean meat a day and the rest of the meat is more "fatty"! Try eating chicken one meal! That's around 48g of protein right there! Also supplement a snack for a protein shake! I find it harder to meet my fat goals rather then my protein goals!
  • heatherbilyea
    heatherbilyea Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I use MCT oil to boost my fat intake. Plus gives a nice energy kick....so use in the morning, not at night .....unless you do not want to sleep :) I have used protein bars to boost my protein intake, usually when I can't get the time in for an actual meal (Pure Protein , brand I use ....won't blow your sugar out of the water...and they taste yummy) To increase fibre I take 2 Metamucil pills,( Psyllium Fiber Capsules) with water, before meals ...keeps you moving ;)

Just a little bit of stuff I figured out in my journey so far. :)
  • scgfitlife
    scgfitlife Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love seeing people turn to Keto! I have been eating this way since May of 2016 and have lost 44 pounds since. I use a lower carb protein powder for shakes and of course, chicken and eggs. Avocado has 10g of fiber, spinach, brocolli.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I am in my first week of keto and finding it hard to get in enough protein and hardly any fiber. Any recommendations to incorporate more protein and fiber?

I'm trying to get my protein down. 6 ozs of meat three times a day is likely 90 grams of protein and you can add (or replace with) eggs, cheese etc. For fibre green veg like broccoli, mushrooms, some flax seed.

What are you eating ?
  • DGR70
    DGR70 Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If you do protein shakes or other drinks, look into a fiber supplement with protein called Barn Dad. They carry it at Vitamin Shoppe and GNC. The taste is actually pretty good and mixes well with other things if you take them.
  • mmutluaydin
    mmutluaydin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    As you may know, keto is not a way of eating that you should keep for a long time. I do eat that way a couple of days a week for these days. Looks like it is working for me. As for pals not being able to find fat, nuts, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado are a few examples. Good luck
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Protein shouldn't be too much of an issue, unless you're trying to do keto with some special consideration. Any meat is going to get you a good amount of protein. If you're still having trouble there are some low sugar/carb protein powders out there (I use scivation).

As far as fiber.... typically green veggies are going to be your friend. Green beans, brussel sprouts, spinach, will all help. Typical rule of thumb is stay away from bright veggies (they tend to be higher in carbs). There was also a pretty decent flax seed muffing recipe I used to use, that had tons of fiber and was very low carb. You can also supplement fiber too if you're having trouble eating enough veggies.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I always way overshot my protein goals when i was doing keto, It was a struggle to keep it down to 100g.

For protein:

Protein powder
    chicken
    steak
    fish
    meat in general
    Eggs
    Full fat Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese

Fibre:

Avocado's
    chia seeds
    flax
    Psyllium husk powder
    veggies

• ibarradavid81
    ibarradavid81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Broccoli
    Avocados
    Dark Green leafy vegetables
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    A serving of cottage cheese has 13 g of protein, a serving of Siggi's yogurt has 14 g of protein, various cheeses have a lot of protein, also meats of all sorts. Fiber is easy. Have a serving or two of vegetables with each meal and that should take care of the fiber part of it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Many keto'ers find low fibre is not an issue. Fat seems to get things moving well.

Nuts can be helpful - fibre and fat. :)
  • risyfitforlife89
    risyfitforlife89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am just beginning keto. Help I need friend motivation
  • christeenbee
    christeenbee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am just beginning keto. Help I need friend motivation

Me too!