Can I do Insanity?

Options
I have been doing Turbo Fire for about 3 months. I followed the workout schedule for the first 2 months, but the 3rd I didn't do so good. I ordered the advanced dvds and have been doing them for a while, as well. I have lost 40 pounds so far, and I am so excited with my results. I still want to lose about 25 more, but I think I need a change.

Should I try Insanity if I get occasional knee pain during other workouts? I have been successful with Turbo Fire and that is considered pretty high impact, right? I have wanted to try Insanity for a long time, but I don't want to hurt my knees. I need something to help me get my initial motivation back because I am really slipping with my eating. Also, the last month my weight as stayed the same. I know I haven't been eating good enough and know that is why. I think Insanity would be so motivational. Any thoughts?

Replies

• audraws12
    audraws12 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Shaun T is an awesome motivator... I've enjoyed doing the workouts so you may too.... my only note for knee concerns is that you will do a lot, and I mean a lot of jumping. So if you can land softly the impact might not hurt your knees too much.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I have very bad knees (tm) and do Insanity. I do need to use extra caution during some of the plyometrics and wear a brace on my right knee (needs extra lateral support). The biggest thing is form. If your form is correct, you should be fine. You don't have to go as fast as the fitness folks in the video, that's okay... just keep good form and push yourself to your own limits.

edit - bad grammar is bad.
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Of course you can do it!! You can do anything you want to do. Just be mindful of the jumping and squats and you should be good.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I say try it!! I bought it and wasn't ready for it but if you order through Beachbody they have a 100% guarantee!!! I think I might try it so if you do get it let me know and we can buddy up!!!!

I ended up sending mine back and had no issues - I became a coach with them just because they are so great about that and I love all the products - especially Turbofire!!!
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I just finished Insanity on Sunday. It's an awesome program. With the jumping, as other posters have said, watch your form carefully. Shaun T does a great job of explaining the exercises and reminding you to "know your limits." During the DVDs you often see class members stopping and resting and then getting back into it. There are many jumping exercises, however, they are short in duration--usually less than a minute at a time. Those are followed by push ups and other exercises. My arms are completely ripped after 8 weeks of Insanity (and that's after doing P90X).
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have a bad shoulder and I can do Insanity (lots of plank/push up work). I modify if I can't do it or slow down. I can't tell you about the knee but I think if you are careful or modify as needed you should be fine. I love Insanity. I am sorry I waited so long to try it.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity for a while in my basement because it was the coldest place in the house, but it has a concrete floor. I also probably didn't pay attention to landing softly. I had never had a problem with my knees until doing that for 5 weeks... I took a break for months and then started doing it again in my house on carpet (for a few months) but I still had issues and decided it was in my best interest to stop completely. You really need to pay attention to landing softly which I feel can take away from the intensity of the workout. I would also ice my knees after and I feel like that helped a little..
  • DGSki
    DGSki Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would say try it but don't over do it. If your knee is continuing to hurt you may want to get a brace or talk to your doctor about Physical Therapy to strenthen certain parts of the knee if needed. I had to do PT and now I have to wear a brace but my knee doesn't hurt and I am able to do certain things now without pain. Good luck to you!
  • payitoffnow
    payitoffnow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have been using mfp since April and really enjoy reading other people's posts. I have gotten tons of motivation from this site!

I'm pretty sure I will order Insanity soon. I'm really excited. I am definitely going to come back to Turbo Fire. I really love Chalene Johnson I just need a change.