Healthy foods that make you feel full..

Options
Kidvicious28
Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I'm having a hard time finding foods that make me feel full. I'm constantly wanting more more more. I haven't been eating that great the last few days bc I feel like I'm so hungry!!! This needs to stop before I completely sabotage myself.

What foods make YOU feel full?

Ideas... Suggestions...Recipes...Any thing would be appreciated.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    That's going to be a pretty individual thing...complex carbs satiate me...oats, legumes, lentils, potatoes, tons of veg, etc.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    For me, it's protein. And to a lesser extent, whole grains (especially popcorn).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What is a healthy food? No such thing. What constitutes a healthy diet, depends on your goals and needs.

Satiety is also individual. You have to find out what satisfies YOU.

For me, a balanced diet composed of a variety of whole foods I like, is both healthy and satisfying.

If you are eating less to lose weight, consider if you are eating too little.

If you are eating enough, quality and quantity, hunger is only in your head because you know that you are eating less than you are used to.

Consider if you are cutting out something that you are now missing.

Be aware that some hunger is normal and not a sign of impending danger.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    for me it's starchy carbs with protein and fats. that added fat is a super important component though. adding avocado to pretty much anything will increase my satiety by a ton. it's calorie dense but it's worth it for me if i'm not hungry for a long time. toast with smashed avocado and a poached egg (and sriracha) is like a perfect starting meal if i'm going to be out and about with no food for most of a day.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    My favorite meal that keeps me full is a smallish potato with eggs on top. Sometimes I add salsa, yogurt, chicken, etc. But that potato and egg combo is very satisfying for me.

You should play around with foods/macros to see what works for you.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    avocado...yum...and not hungry for hours and hours and hours
  • izzie218
    izzie218 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Avocado
    Black bean spaghetti
    Lean chicken breast
    Steamed broccoli
    Greek yogurt
    Apples
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    That's going to be a pretty individual thing...complex carbs satiate me...oats, legumes, lentils, potatoes, tons of veg, etc.

Agree with this.

My quick favorites are oatmeal with almonds and walnuts and 8 oz of protein nutmilk.
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    All the things listed by others above, but in addition, for me, I've discovered baby spinach. It's so much denser than many other salad leaves that I can have 100g of that (with other salad veg and home-made dressing) with a portion of protein of choice and feel I've eaten a damn good meal.
    43501 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time finding foods that make me feel full. I'm constantly wanting more more more. I haven't been eating that great the last few days bc I feel like I'm so hungry!!! This needs to stop before I completely sabotage myself.

What foods make YOU feel full?

Ideas... Suggestions...Recipes...Any thing would be appreciated.

Get some meat in you. Protein will satisfy you the best, and that goes doubly so for any fatty meats (like atlantic salmon or bacon). Don't be afraid of the fats in meat, they're good for you - just keep a close eye on your daily intake since they're calorie-dense.

Almonds (and other nuts) are good to make you feel full/quell hunger, but they are also extremely calorie dense and you have to be careful about volume.

Finally... this isn't an issue of satiety, but, drinking black coffee completely kills my appetite/cravings.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese makes me feel full, especially tossed with vegetables. Yes, it can get watery if you toss it with hot veggies. I don't care.

It's really good with spaghetti squash.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Increasing protein intake does it for me.

For breakfast I like jimmy dean sausage (200 cal), 1/2 cup shredded hash browns (80 cal) and either 4 large egg whites (68 cal) for a total of about 350 cal....or use a whole large egg and 2 large egg whites (104 cal)...full until lunch.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Look at your protein, fat and fiber intake. If you have been low in one of those areas maybe change the type of food you eat a bit so you get more and see if it helps.

I feel pretty full usually if I get enough protein and fat. Vegetables are helpful to filling out meals without adding a lot of calories. Lentils or black beans can be very filling to me.
    I don't find eggs or fish to be very filling on their own but combined with other foods they are fine.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I turn to apples and popcorn when I want to eat a lot of something and feel full.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Sautéed onion using 0calorie olive oil spray. I LOVE onion and it only has 44 calories in a medium onion. Spaghetti squash is VERY low calorie and VERY filling. 210 calories in a WHOLE squash and trust me.. you won't eat a quarter of it. It doesn't seem like a like in a quarter but you feel more stuffed in that quarter than you do in a Big Mac meal from McD's. Use it as the pasta and make your favorite pasta dish. It has a buttery flavor by itself but I hate the taste of butter so I have to top it. Tomato sauce is low calorie so make your own sauce. Add shrooms and peppers and onion, like you would a hearty spaghetti sauce and you can enjoy a 200calorie meal in a 6th of a serving. That's all I can handle.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to lose weight I ate a lot of bulky vegetables like broccoli, cauliflour, brussel sprouts, spaghetti squash etc. Basically anything with lots of volume and relatively few calories for the volume. Spaghetti squash was particularly good for this. I'd cut a squash in half, cook it in a pan with water, take it out of the oven and shred up the squash inside the shell, pouring hot spaghetti sauce on it with a bit of parmesan. I could eat a half squash for dinner with sauce and cheese for under 400 calories and, if I wanted or needed to, it would keep me going until bedtime. I'd fill out my meals with healthy proteins, usually from fish, accompanied with some sweet potatoes or regular potatoes.
  • Parkercomom
    Parkercomom Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats are very filling! There are lots of recipes online. My favorite has oats, chia seeds, light coconut milk, vanilla greek yogurt and crushed pineapple. Less than 300 calories.
  • Natso29
    Natso29 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are my go to on days where I'm just hungry. Add them to whatever you're eating and it's so much more filling! Easiest things are yogurt and salads but i also add them weird places like in my eggs at breakfast or on my toast with peanut butter or in my stir fry etc (literally everywhere).
  • Taliafinch
    Taliafinch Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My favourite at the moment is fried onion, garlic and carrot. add dried red lentils, stock, Tin tomato and lots of cumin. So easy, filling, and delicious. I use one cal spray oil and its 168 calories a portion.