I'm Starving!

Options
My calorie goal each day is 1380. 265 now, would like to lose 100 odd. I had a smoothie for breakfast,a bagel for lunch, a nutrigrain bar and Orange for snack. I only have 500 cals left for dinner at 7 pm but during the day I am starving. Say anything, advice,a joke, something to take my mind off the big Mac I want to get right now lol

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've had a large carb load so far. Some people react to a big carb load with more hunger. Before throwing it all to the wind and binging, consider having a healthy portion of meat. It's worth a try to see if protein will calm down your hunger monster. Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    More fat and protein
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You're mostly filling up on carbs, calorie dense satiety light. You'll need to experiment a bit but most people look to make protein a priority, it's good for muscle retention and good for satiety. A lot of people, myself included, reduce starchy carbs (not low carb, just fewer) so that those calories can be used for some fats and more filling veggies and fruit.

A smoothie would do absolutely zero to keep me full for longer than 5 minutes. Even a smoothie with protein powder would do much better. I love a bowl of porridge, others find that doesn't keep them full long and would rather eggs (boiled, scrambled, whatever!), Greek yoghurt, omelette etc.

And I also don't reach for fruit often at all really, other than maybe berries with some yoghurt for a pudding. It doesn't do much for me for the calories so I'd just rather not. Same for the Nutrigrain bar.

So experiment!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely add more protein and fat! Boneless skinless chicken breast is great if you're worried about going over on calories. I love avocados for fat, also olive oil, and there's nothing wrong with good old butter in my opinion! Going forward, try adding more protein to your breakfast and lunch - eggs, Greek yogurt, protein powder are all good for breakfast and easy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    More fat and protein

This^

I love bagels, but they don't do much to keep me full until lunch time (dinner in your case).

Perhaps opt for a bagel thin or 1/2 bagel (calories saved) for an added protein source. It's not about getting rid of things you like, rather tweaking your choices a bit to get more "bang for your calorie buck."

Maybe sub a Special K Protein bar, or a Fiber One bar for your Nutrigrain bar.....get a little bit more protein and fiber.

Protein, fat & fiber are the usual suspects for staying power.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Have you set an aggressive weight loss goal? Calorie allowance seems a little low for your current weight?

Is your weight loss goal set to lose more than 1lb per week?
  • catmomfat
    catmomfat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm starving too!!! I know I need more protein. I haven't had much today and my tummy is a grumbly. I think I have about 630 left.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eat more real food.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    More fat and protein

Totally agree. I'd be starving too if I ate what OP did today. I've pretty much given up on any type of bars - they so are not worth the calories for me. I love a good bagel but need a little protein or something with it to not be hungry a little letter. Not sure what was in the smoothie but a little protein powder or something in it can really help.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Eat smarter. Lean proteins, low calorie/multigrain breads, eggs, much more. Stay away from the pre-packaged high calorie bars and bagels and snacks. Think fresh vegetables, chicken, turkey, lean pork, lean beef, etc. I love bagels as much as the next person but rarely fit them into my calories for the day. Instead I eat lower calorie multigrain English muffins, Thomas makes some that are 100 calories each and taste great and help with fiber. The bread my wife and I buy is also a lower calorie 45/slice multigrain bread made by Sarah Lee. When you start adjusting what you eat you won't be starving so much. Also, add in some exercise to gain a few more calories.
  • CrazyCatLady916
    CrazyCatLady916 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, more Protein and Fat!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, get ye some protein & fat (& fiber). You've eaten pretty much only starch and sugar all day (assuming the smoothie wasn't a protein shake). If you really like the smoothie/food bar, you can perhaps sub in a protein shake and a Clif bar (or some other food bar with more protein).
  • ProjectSara
    ProjectSara Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It takes me 3 weeks of doing something extremely consistently for my body to adjust. If you are consistent and can get through the beginning, it will take less for you to feel full.

I agree with the less-empty carbs suggestions too.

Good luck!!!
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    more calories in general might also help, are you actually completely sedentary? because you are eating for a person who is.

Definitely agree with this.
    OP at 265 you could be eating many more calories per day and still be in a deficit. I'd suggest you try upping to 2000kcal/day and see if that helps (which would probably STILL have you in a moderate deficit). Lack of satiety is one of the leading causes for diet failure (IE always being hungry).
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestions above-up your protein and healthy fats and work on reducing the carbs especially the refined ones like bagels
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I only eat around 1400 calories a day but it's mostly fat and protein so I'm almost never hungry. More meat, more nuts, more veg.
  • Scorpiotwin
    Scorpiotwin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I can always tell the difference when I eat more carbs and less protein. I just restarted my journey and my daily goal is just under 1400 calories. I find that if I limit my carbs to about 100g a day and up my protein I'm OK. You would actually be surprised by how much food you can eat just by making a few tweaks. Ham and turkey breast slices have been life savers for me.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    As others have said, add more protein rich foods and some healthy fats. Also I wanted to mention about the glycemic index of foods. Carbs with a lower glycemic index have a more stabilizing impact on blood sugar levels and keep you fuller for longer than carbs with a high glycemic index. Bagels and nutri grain bars are high glycemic index foods so I would avoid those. Try grainy breads, or a quest bar instead of a nutri grain bar. Quest bars are incredibly sustaining and hunger-busting for me. Info about the glycemic index: http://www.glycemicindex.com/