Fitbit Scales

Options
I use MFP among other things as my food dairy and to keep a check on my nuiterents. I have a Fitbit HR which, as you'll know, talks to MFP

At the moment I'm doing the LCHF diet and I find it effective. I've been looking at the Fitbit Scales but at around £90 I feel they are a bit on the steep side, I'm wondering though if there any third party scales which will provide similar information but at a lesser price

To those of you who do have these type of scales what do you think of them?

As always many thanks for your help

Kevin

Replies

• svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The WeightGurus Bluetooth scale is $60 vs the Fitbit Aria's $129 in the US. It seems to do the same stuff and can sync to MFP and Fitbit. The WG scale also has a higher weight limit at 397lbs (vs 350lbs). All you do is open your WG app before you weigh yourself and it'll sync your weight info to your phone.

Bonus: Sync Fitbit to trendweight.com (free website) and it'll show you the trend in which your weight and body fat percent are going.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I would never spend that much money on a scale! I've got a $30 target one, and it does what it's supposed to, simply tells me my weight.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit aria. I've had it for maybe 5ish years.

I don't know that it's worth the money but I've been happy with mine. It sync's nicely with mfp.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I too have the fitbit Aria scale for about 3 years. Agree probably over priced as the only info I take from it is my weight but I like that it syncs to mfp.
  • RosieS_1980
    RosieS_1980 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005WU8WQW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1487942893&sr=8-1&keywords=tanita+scales

And they have been great so far. I wanted the Fitbit ones too but a lot of the Amazon reviews are bad and for that price I didn't want to risk it :(
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Aria scale and like it. I'm sure there are other brands that are similar. The features I like
    1. Can have different profiles, up to 8. So the scale recognizes me, Hubby. And logs our weighins under our individual profiles.
    2. I know if someone else gets on the scale as it shows 'guest' in the Aria log. This is useful because I have 2 teen daughters, so I know if/when they get on the scale, and if their weight should seem to be changing in a bad way or if they seem to be obsessing over it.
    3. It uploads automatically and Fitbit keeps my trend/history. I don't have to do anything special.

There are downsides. Sometimes it will get wonky and be constantly trying to connect, and that will deplete the battery. Not a big deal but something to mention. And if two people are similar in weight, you need to be careful that the weighin is assigned to the right person. Last week I got a bunch of MFP alerts for congrats on loosing 5 pounds 'since my last weighin'. One daughter is close enough to me, that the Aria thought she was me. Easy to fix, I just deleted it from my history.

Ps-the fat % readout in my opinion is not to be taken too seriously.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    svel713 wrote: »
    The WeightGurus Bluetooth scale is $60 vs the Fitbit Aria's $129 in the US. It seems to do the same stuff and can sync to MFP and Fitbit. The WG scale also has a higher weight limit at 397lbs (vs 350lbs). All you do is open your WG app before you weigh yourself and it'll sync your weight info to your phone.

Bonus: Sync Fitbit to trendweight.com (free website) and it'll show you the trend in which your weight and body fat percent are going.

I second the WeightGurus Bluetooth scale - I was looking at the Fitbit Aria, but this one was next to it on Amazon and much cheaper. It updates MFP and Fitbit when I weigh in, can have 8 different profiles as long as you're not within 10 lbs of each other, and it does weight/body fat-muscle mass-water and the app tracks your weigh ins.
  • MichaelJSwann
    MichaelJSwann Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had the Fitbit Aria. I returned it and got a Withings WS-30. Withings will sync with Fitbit. It also syncs with a lot more services than Fitbit.
  • RosieS_1980
    RosieS_1980 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had the Fitbit Aria. I returned it and got a Withings WS-30. Withings will sync with Fitbit. It also syncs with a lot more services than Fitbit.

Thanks for the info! I will look at those, I like the idea of being able to synch :)