Vegan Protein?

Options
pinacolouis
pinacolouis Posts: 2 Member
Hi! I've just started tracking my macros etc, and just realised i'm normally low on protein. I was wondering if anyone has any vegan sources of protein/ recipes high in protein, that DOESNT contain many carbs?? all the food i've been researching seems to come packed with carbs too!! thank you

Replies

• AnarchistKitchen
    AnarchistKitchen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Vegan protein without carbs is hard to find. The best thing would be tofu. Nuts would be decent but the calories would add up quickly. 1 lb bag of frozen broccoli has 14 grams protein. There's 12-14 grams of protein in a large bag of frozen spinach & kale. Think larger than reasonable volumes of these kinds of vegetables.

Here's a low carb recipe for Tofu & Cabbage
    https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/12/24/4-vegan-low-carb-recipes-lchf/
    hyw6hc4z1ujf.jpg
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe when I need a good dose of protein:

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Tofu-Scramble-Kale-Sweet-Potatoes-35566619

I add in a vegan breakfast sausage that I get from The Herbivorous Butcher in Minneapolis, MN, but you could also add in a package of Gimme Lean breakfast sausage. The way I make it, it comes out to 41g of protein per serving!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've just started tracking my macros etc, and just realised i'm normally low on protein. I was wondering if anyone has any vegan sources of protein/ recipes high in protein, that DOESNT contain many carbs?? all the food i've been researching seems to come packed with carbs too!! thank you

Vegetarian diets tend to be higher carb...how long have you been vegetarian.

Tofu and other soy products come to mind...seitan. Beyond that, things like beans and lentils and higher protein grains like quinoa and whole oats tend to be staples of vegetarian and vegan eating. These things are quality, highly nutritious carbohydrates...carbs aren't something "bad" that need to be avoided.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you're not wanting carbs? A vegan diet is typically high in carbs. Do you have a medical reason you're avoiding them or have you just been "told" that they're some sort of bad food? I'm vegan, eat around 1500 calories a day, and have no problem getting 100-120g protein in a day, albeit with a lot of carbs. I enjoy tofu, seitan, tempeh, beans, TVP for protein in my meals. I also have a protein shake on gym days and sometimes a protein bar as a mid-day snack if I need one. All are going to up your carbs though...
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Tofu :) Edamame beans

I get a lot of protein from carbs actually. I'm a vegetarian so it's definitely a macro I look out for. I do like Barilla's Protein Plus pasta. It has the same amount of carbs as normal pasta but with more protein from lentils. Target has lentil pasta.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I have vegans in my family and I was for a year. I can't imaging how you are going to increase your protein and go low carb. It will be really hard! best of luck tho!
  • melli922
    melli922 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Concerning the balance, I'd say make sure you get enough protein, but no reason to overdo it. That being said, a little more helps feel full.

Seitan has lots of protein for an acceptable amount of calories. Making your own is cheap.

Unsweetend yogurt is great (add garlic, salt and lemon juice for tzatziki, add berries and low-cal sweetener for dessert)

Replace rice with cauliflower rice and top it with thai peanut sauce. Extra nice macros: using peanut flour to make the sauce (less fat, more protein).

Make some chilli with lots of beans and soy crumbles

Some flax seed makes smoothies more filling and adds a little protein.

Hope there's something in there for you. :smile:
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You can check them here on this link.

Personally I love tofu and lentils from that list. Although I am no vegan :smiley:

The best protein per calories is in Tofu btw. And you can use Pea Protein Powders that are Vegan friendly, which is about 85% protein depending on the brand.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options

Sometimes I drink a cup of Silk protein nutmilk with my oatmeal or as a snack. I also drink it for the vitamin D. One cup has 10 G protein and 4 carbs, 2 of which are fiber. It does have 130 calories. Tofu also has protein and low carbs.

Carbs are essential for our bodies to function. People with diabetes and some other medical problems might need to limit carbs, but otherwise carbs are not going to stop any fitness effort. I eat about 150-250 carbs a day and had no problem losing weight and improving a couple of health problems. I aim for carbs with high nutrition.
  • xSkinnyFitx
    xSkinnyFitx Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Lentils or quinoa are both good for protein.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I get surprises on protien when I realize that whole grain bread has quite a lot, so do nuts. Nut butter is the bomb of course.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Pea and Hemp Protein Powder, available in bulk at the Bulk Barn in Canada. Pea is 90% and Hemp is 50% if memory serves.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Pulses/beans are great. I use oil can butter/ghee so the are vegan. Serve on quinoa or amaranth vs rice for more protein.

nd2wmieujl9g.jpg
    8lcxnwk1kwg4.jpg
    7pwc67izworz.jpg
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Erm, tofu?

Split yellow mung beans (mung dal) are generally quoted as between 24g-30g protein per 100g. Carb-wise, I dunno. I don't bother with limiting carbohydrate for its own sake. The closest I come to that is calorie counting.
  • amandamariegomes
    Options
    I've just started tracking on here as well. And I was surprised to see how little protein I was getting. But I also don't think it matters as much as we think. I've been toning up and gaining muscle faster since going vegan even though my carb intake is much higher...Although I will start sneaking in hemp seeds into everything now :)
  • AnarchistKitchen
    AnarchistKitchen Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I just figured this out! Gluten flour!!!!!!!

Gluten flour has almost the same macros as chicken breast. 120 calories of gluten flour has 23 grams protein, 4 grams carbs & 0 fat.

I made some vegan chicken for the first time using gluten flour. It was a very hardy meal, super filling. Granted I did bread and deep fry it but you can totally boil and bake gluten instead of turning it into fast food like i did. You can use these exact recipes to make the vegan chicken patties and just don't bread & fry them. Easy!

https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2017/03/03/4-vegan-fried-chicken-recipes/
    h75w69y5brcx.jpg