STOP! (night time eating support)

Options
Hi! I keep screwing up at night....grrrr! I would love to be able to come here n type my temptations away, grumble, ask for help, etc. If you would too, let's be here for each other and get through it. Anyone?! Thank you!!!!!

Replies

• LaRelicHunter
    LaRelicHunter Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I go to sleep early.
    Can't eat if your sleeping.
    No really I have family support that helps.
    I guess everyone is different with self control.
    If I binged after 45 days and 27 pounds down I would be mentally distraught for weeks!
    Mind over food.
  • db58johnson
    db58johnson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank all for ur mssgs! I have been dealing w my weight all my life. It's really frustrating to not have this one figured out. Ewestberg it sounds like we need to tackle this head on. I will check this post in the evenings starting tonight. Maybe u can do the same. If u r struggling, ready to eat stuff u know u shouldnt, or already did...reach out n I will support u. That's what I need to. I can tell u that at the end of the night I love to relax n snack...but I'm mad after I do it. If I have calories left I always go way past. So, again, grrrrrr! I need to focus on how I will feel in the morning vs how the food gives that instant gratification when I'm snuggled up w my tea n a good show or ready to crochet or chatting w family. Immediately afterwards I wish I hadn't eaten. We can do this! Tell me more about what ur up against at night, too!!!!!
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't have night time snacking issues (cause I don't have snacks for one and I clean the kitchen for another.. and I like sleeping..9pm is my bedtime), but dinner time I can easily pack away over a thousand calories. I can skip bfast, lunch, pick at snack time and my scores look AWESOME.. then dinner comes along.. I pack it away at dinner. I binge at dinner. I told my sister in law and brother (main cooks since I clean the house), to stop cooking for me completely. I'll be on my own. This will insure that my laziness will prevent me from overeating.
  • db58johnson
    Options
    Reaverie good luck. Let us know if ur plan works!!!!!!!!
  • str5wberrysp1ce
    str5wberrysp1ce Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Reaveeie: that was my issue too!! Once I started eating a good breakfast and decent lunch it slowed down. My problem now is snacking after dinner, but I'm going to try brushing my teeth right after and see if that helps. Good luck and let us know if your plan works.
  • db58johnson
    Options
    Well it's 9 pm. And I'm watching tv. And I'm wondering what I can snack on. So here's my chance. I will be up for another two hours. I want to relax, not keep busy doing something random so I don't eat, know what I mean?! Wish me luck!!!!
  • db58johnson
    Options
    Well I ate. I had a fiber bar, a protein bar and some chocolate covered cacao nibs n I'm done. I'm stopping when otherwise I might have more so I'm focusing on that. Was at a friends tonight and there were bowls of m&m S out. I had some and I'm feeling the residual cravings. Sigh. But I know I'm done for tonight and won't snack any more. Over my calories for sure. Sigh. Thx for reading n for ur support!
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Well I ate. I had a fiber bar, a protein bar and some chocolate covered cacao nibs n I'm done. I'm stopping when otherwise I might have more so I'm focusing on that. Was at a friends tonight and there were bowls of m&m S out. I had some and I'm feeling the residual cravings. Sigh. But I know I'm done for tonight and won't snack any more. Over my calories for sure. Sigh. Thx for reading n for ur support!

Sounds like you made a good improvement! It's ok, it's a journey. Tonight when you want to snack, remember how you had a smaller snack yesterday and it really wasn't all that bad.

This is a huge problem for me. I've started a few things:

1. Eating my calorie allowance by dinner time
    Having even 100 calories left over gives me the green light to snack, and I always end up over.
    2. staying out of the kitchen and going to sleep early (my 2yo wakes up at 5am so it works!). If I do go in the kitchen, it almost always ends in regret and going over calories.
  • db58johnson
    Options
    Reaverie and strawberry spice hiws it going?!
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem I always snack at night. When I start getting breakfasts and lunches ready at night for the next day it throws me off and I can't stop! I justify it by saying that I'll run it off the next morning but I know it isn't really healthy for me to snack on junk right before bed. Any advice????
  • clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    Options
    Nighttime snacking is definitely my downfall. I exercise without fail or excuses but I can't seem to stop the snacking! In fact I just started logging again after going off the wagon for a few months! Feel free to add me if you want an accountability partner!

• autumng31
    autumng31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stay busy, I teach so it's easy to stay busy because I have so much to do. I also try not go downstairs after 8:00. I go yo bed at 9:00. If I have to eat, I keep berries on hand.
  • drakeshattuck
    drakeshattuck Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem. I would go to bed and think about cooking, I like to cook as a hobby and eventually I'd have to get up and eat because I could not sleep. Finally I started planning to eat dinner late at night before bed. I consume all of my calories between 4:00 pm and 12:00 Midnight. I go to bed a bit later than most folks. I've had great success with this. One Soy Milk latte in the morning and I'm good until 4pm. I have lost 38 pounds in about 4 months. This has made my life great because I really have adapted to not eating in the day when I'm busy. I lived in Spain in the 1980's and their common time for eating their last meal is 11pm and obesity there at that time was very rare.

A common meal I eat is Salmon (6-8 oz), blot dry, coat with olive oil (1tsp), ad seasoning and bake in the oven at 400 for 13 minutes. I eat that along with 1 cup of sweet potatoes. This give me fat, carbs and protein. It digests easily and most importantly I sleep and don't think about food.

Oh, and also I eventually started working out at 8pm because I was tired of the crowds at the gym, so I'm not if front of a screen being tempted.
  • CassondraKennedy
    CassondraKennedy Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this would help, but I've started leaving about 200 calories for night time snacks. I really enjoy ice cream after dinner or a handful of M&M's, so when I have the calories left, I'm more likely to measure out my night snack, log it, and stay within my calories. So far, it's been very successful and I haven't felt as deprived as I did when I was trying not to snack at all! For those who have trouble stopping once they start, this might not be the best strategy, but if you do well with structure (like me) and can allow yourself a limited amount, I'd say give it a shot!

On another note, have you tried keeping overly tempting snacks out of the house? If you have a weakness food that you can't stop eating once you've started, try getting it out of the house. It might help to just put some distance between yourself and the temptations!
  • smoserenity
    smoserenity Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is the worst! I have the same challenge. I can make excellent choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner but it's like my willpower evaporates moments after dinner. My current plan of attack to kick this habit is to plan my night time snacks like I plan the rest of my day. I figure if I portion out cantaloupe and berries for sweet cravings or celery with pre-measured nut butter for salty days, I can snack without thinking about it. My thought process is I have replaced poor mindless snacking choices with things that are helping me meet my goals of eating more fruits or veggies. Wish me luck because I have years of poor after dinner choices under my belt and this is proving a tough habit to break. The "kitchen is closed" idea only worked on days I could talk myself into it which wasn't a new habit former for me. Feel free to add me if you want an evening lifeline to check in with.
  • drakeshattuck
    drakeshattuck Posts: 50 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    simmoner4 wrote: »
    I have the same problem I always snack at night. When I start getting breakfasts and lunches ready at night for the next day it throws me off and I can't stop! I justify it by saying that I'll run it off the next morning but I know it isn't really healthy for me to snack on junk right before bed. Any advice????

You've really got to stop thinking exercise helps you lose weight. Exercise is of course the single best thing you can do for your health, but it is NOT a weight loss tool. You know you can blow that hour and a half run with a single piece of pizza right? Your diet, and diet alone should accomplish a 1 to 2 pound a week loss depending on your goal and level of commitment. Exercise is a bonus, I never "eat back" calories. If you are exercising 5 to 7 days a week, that is great. If you miss a day, and rest, that's not that big of a deal because you still got 5 days in. Just take one night at a super bowl party with the booze and the food and see what that does to the scale.

I know what I say sounds crazy because Coca Cola and the food industry has been guilting Americans for decades trying to shift the blame of obesity from themselves, to the consumer. Check out this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXTiiz99p9o
  • breannemarie1993
    breannemarie1993 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Me too! i'm so good during the day and at night I turn into a miserable bear and want to eat everything (fruits and veggies not included)