Started keto about 3 weeks ago, I feel like I'm gaining.

Options
I might be doing something wrong, I'm not counting calories

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    you just identified the problem! you need a calorie deficit to lose weight. period.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You're not counting calories. Start!

Keto isn't magic - fat is calorie dense, and has a lot of calories for small volume. It's easy to overindulge.

You can still follow keto, just make sure you determine your calorie goal on mfp and eat to fit that goal.
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Agreed, you should definitely be tracking and managing your carbs and calories. I do lower carb (around net 50 g) and moderate fat so I'm not keto but it's easy to overeat and get more calories and carbs than you think you are getting. Especially if you are trying to stay under 20 g of carbs... that shiz goes fast! Good luck!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have you actually weighed yourself? Are you gaining? I feel fatter 2-3 days a month but it doesn't mean I actually am.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I might be doing something wrong, I'm not counting calories

I think I see the problem.

• medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Also if you're not tracking, it's going to be kind of hard to tell whether or not you're ACTUALLY doing keto.
    Ketogenic diets actually have specific protocols, and there's quite a few misconceptions out there. Start tracking your calories (and on here make sure you're tracking fat, carbs, fiber, and protein). Your diet should have 30-35% protein, about 5% carbs, and the rest as fat.
  • Piscesmoon68
    Piscesmoon68 Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I used to have a lot of problems with LCHF. I tried it many times and failed. This time it's working and I'll just list the changes I made here. Maybe one or two of them will strike a chord with you.
    Drinking more water. (I used to drink mainly diet soda.)
    Going easy on the Protein (My cals are coming from 30% protein, 65% fats and %5 carbs)
    Eliminated artificial sweeteners (Almost. I still have one diet soda a day)
    Counting calories too (Well covered above)
    Stopped eating prepackaged low carb foods (Atkins meals, treats, etc)
    Using my keto test strips to see if I'm actually in ketosis. Adjusting things if I'm not.
    Quit eating out as much as possible. There's too many hidden sauces, etc that I may not realize are in the foods I'm eating.

Hope this helps. Don't give up... just adjust until you start losing! It DOES work! I'm down 10 pounds in about 4 weeks.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You're not counting calories nor are you weighing yourself so there's no way to know if you're eating too much or gaining unless your clothes stop fitting. Is your goal to lose weight? If so you'll likely need to track calories and do at least an occasional weigh in.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Low carb might help with curbing your appetite but to lose you need calorie deficit.