Need motivation!

Options
risberg96
risberg96 Posts: 118 Member
edited February 2017 in Motivation and Support
Scale was steadily going down and now it's stalled a bit. I'll take any cheesy encouragement or advice... anything!!! Trying to stay positive!

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    How long have you been in a plateau?
  • risberg96
    Options
    4 days
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Are you a "whoosh and stall" person? In other words, does the scale not move for a while, and then you lose weight all at once? That happens to a lot of us. No one really knows why it happens, though it seems like water retention might play a role.

It's also worth double checking to make sure you're weighing and measuring all your food as accurately as possible. This is even more important as you lose weight and your deficit becomes smaller.

You should recalculate your MFP calorie goals every 10-20 lb. or so. You may find that your calorie budget has decreased. A smaller body needs fewer calories than a larger body does, generally speaking.

Depending on how you're counting exercise calories, you may be overestimating your calorie burn. MFP's exercise database is notorious for overestimating exercise calories. Many people use a heart rate monitor instead.

Take your body measurements; see if you've lost inches here or there even if the scale isn't moving.

Think about other ways to measure your progress. Can you walk farther? Climb more stairs? Run faster? Lift heavier things? Fit into smaller clothes?

Beyond all that, hang in there and keep at it. If you're staying in a deficit, weight loss will happen.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    4 days is not a plateau. Plateaus are several weeks, if not months, of no change on the scale.

Weight loss is not a linear process and you can't expect to see the scale move every week. Just stick to your calorie deficit and reassess your progress in a couple of weeks.
  • risberg96
    Options
    All great things to consider!! Thank you
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    risberg96 wrote: »
    4 days

4 days is pretty short as plateaus go. Your weight loss will eventually slow down as you progress. I've had plateaus of several weeks. So it's really important to be persistent and patient.
  • CafeRacer808
    edited February 2017
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    risberg96 wrote: »
    4 days

4 days is pretty short as plateaus go. Your weight loss will eventually slow down as you progress. I've had plateaus of several weeks. So it's really important to be persistent and patient.

To label 4 days of no weight change as a short plateau is incorrect.
  • risberg96
    Options
    I am not a "whoosh and stall"type person. Usually lose a little each day esp. when I am working hard to hit my macros mixed with lots of exercise... so that's why this has been frustrating. Could definitely be water weight
  • Mackattack72
    Mackattack72 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Might be better to switch to weekly weigh-ins. Over a week's time and using the same day consistently may help you not worry about 4 days.