Really depressed while trying to workout

Options
I'm so angry and sad over my weight and I can use that fuel to workout for a couple minutes but I get too angry and give up. I ended up crying today about it and even with my favorite music on, I'm here giving myself pity and don't have anyone that can just tell me I can do it... so here I am lol

Replies

• jpena412
    jpena412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What workout(s) are you trying to do? Are you trying to freestyle in the gym or are you following a regime (or even DVD) that is geared to your level of fitness? the worst thing you can do it just give up completely and not keep pushing yourself. Though remember, weight loss is attributed to what you eat. Working out will help with toning. Maybe time goals will help? ie- I WILL work out for 10 minutes today, 15 min tomorrow, etc. And, you CAN do it, don't let the mental mind game get the best of you, keep pushing and good luck
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It takes time to build a habit. Do a few minutes each day and add an extra couple of minutes each day. Maybe change the exercise if you don't enjoy it. A 10 minute walk in the fresh air can do wonders. Be kind to yourself, it's hard to change the habits of a long time but you can do this, you've already started, and that was the hardest part, add me if you want x
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I've had days like that. As much as I don't feel like it, if I really can't "work out" I settle for a walk. It's not as much as what I might do otherwise, but sometimes you have to give yourself a break.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Have you tried just dancing around the house with the music on? It is super fun and a great mood lifter that maybe you can use as a transition into a more traditional workout.
  • Taylersharkey
    Taylersharkey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    jpena412 wrote: »
    What workout(s) are you trying to do? Are you trying to freestyle in the gym or are you following a regime (or even DVD) that is geared to your level of fitness? the worst thing you can do it just give up completely and not keep pushing yourself. Though remember, weight loss is attributed to what you eat. Working out will help with toning. Maybe time goals will help? ie- I WILL work out for 10 minutes today, 15 min tomorrow, etc. And, you CAN do it, don't let the mental mind game get the best of you, keep pushing and good luck

Currently I'm doing dancing right now at home! I will get back to running and muscle workouts in time. And I know, I wouldn't be on this app if I didn't plan to eat right lol
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sweetie it sounds like you might be suffering from depression too. Maybe chat with your doctor or see a therapist. I have depression as well so I know of what I speak.
  • Taylersharkey
    Taylersharkey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It takes time to build a habit. Do a few minutes each day and add an extra couple of minutes each day. Maybe change the exercise if you don't enjoy it. A 10 minute walk in the fresh air can do wonders. Be kind to yourself, it's hard to change the habits of a long time but you can do this, you've already started, and that was the hardest part, add me if you want x

Yeah I expect myself to be able to workout a ton and have energy everytime but I was able to workout for 15 min
  • Trendline15
    Trendline15 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use exercise to manage my depression and keep it in remission. I also use my anger to channel into my workouts and push myself harder. Sounds like you could get out of the house, too. Getting out and about might help to change your mood. I sympathize with you.
  • MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It's pretty hard to stick at anything if you get frustrated and angry, so maybe a change of focus will help you out.
    It's your weight that's bugging you, so the first thing you have to work on is how much you eat.
    If you're eating too much then the exercise you do may not help a great deal towards losing weight.
    The rule is simple, to lose weight you have to burn off more calories every day than you consume.
    But the solution to weight-loss lies a lot more on the second part of that statement, since it's what you consume every day that's likely to be why you're overweight rather than how much exercise you do.
    Don't get me wrong, exercise is good, but right now beating yourself up over it isn't going to help you move forwards.
    Try to get into the MFP way of tracking exactly what you're eating, use a scales to weigh everything and record it.
    You'll soon see what's good and bad in what you eat and can begin to take control of what and how much you consume.
    On my own weight-loss journey it was several months down the line before I started doing any amount of exercise, just getting control of my eating/drinking was enough to see the weight starting to come off.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm so angry and sad over my weight and I can use that fuel to workout for a couple minutes but I get too angry and give up. I ended up crying today about it and even with my favorite music on, I'm here giving myself pity and don't have anyone that can just tell me I can do it... so here I am lol

When I've tried to drop weight before I really couldn't get to grips with the exercise part and my healthy eating although better wasn't had I'd hoped.

This time around I checked out classes at the local gym and joined a really big one that's part of our leisure centre. I started going to a few classes and loved it. In November I went twice a week and now I'm addicted - 7 days a week. It has really helped lift my mood I'm always chatting to people and making friends and now thinking about heavy lifting which I never thought I'd do

Best advice is to find classes that you enjoy - I actually enjoy the ones that are full on and you leave exhausted but feel great at the same time

I'm certain I'll drop the weight this time as the exercise really motivates me

• Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Working out shouldn't be a punishment that you inflict on yourself for not looking the way you want to. If you're working yourself up to feel angry and sad every time you go into the gym, it's no wonder you don't want to go. I wouldn't want to go somewhere that made me feel like that either.

Don't try to "motivate" yourself to go to the gym. Just go. I'm not motivated to go to work in the morning, or pay bills, or do the laundry; but I do them anyway and it's not a big deal.